GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 Chevy van with 44k miles on it blew the tranny last week. Its been at the dealer since Wednesday. I found out today they are going to pick up 50% of the tab. Some may say I should feel lucky? How is God's name does a transmission go out with 44k miles? I looked at the tranny today. Same problem as with most GM tranny failures. Why wont they correct this problem? Sometimes I just dont feel sorry for the problems they are having. I guess I gotta make this bike related..............I have been enjoying my bike alot lately. There now its politically in the right spot.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yikes.... Hope it is fixed quick....

At least you have the wing to ride while the van is out of commission....

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats up girl???????

It is supposed to be fixed tommorow. I cant make any money with out my baby! I turned over50k on my bike today. That is just crazy!

How is that eye doing?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sorry to hear that...I also had a Chevy van transmission go out at 38,000 and they would not warranty it. Belt tensioner out twice, one under warranty one out of. a/c like me not get started at least 4 times...Don't know but "they" got to wonder why they are losing the market share to foreign auto maker.

wish you the best of luck....

·
Registered
824 Posts
Not much going on up here.... My eye is fine (thank god) it was nuts wearing glasses for a whole week... They prescription is about 3 changes back...

At least you should have it back tomorrow... Fingers crossed...

Melissa

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I hate to say this, being a union man and all, but I predict that in the future you won't see anything made by the big three automakers. Greed is what will kill their business. Greed and the lack of incentives to fix problems they knew existed many, many years ago. How many American will put up in the future with what Steve is willing to put up?

Forget about patriotism and buying Made In America, because now Nissans, Toyotas and Hondas are built right here in the good ol' USA, employing American workers, and, above all, they are made much better than the big 3 products.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I solved my GM tranny and alternator problems by buying Toyota! I won't buy another GM product until they fix their reliability problems.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
My Monte Carlo Trans went out at 37000 miles. Turned out the warranty was for 36000. Go figure. Now the replacement one is slipping. :evil: The wing is still cooking along just fine!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Steve, don't buy a Dodge/Plymouth minivan either, as their tranny's are also junk. Not to mention the Dakota ball joints breaking. My last 'new' gm truck was an '88 with a bad power brake booster from the factory (too small), and they still charged me $100 to change.

My '99 Ranger is the LAST of the big three that I'll be buying.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
For you younger guys....let me say this is "Just a Big Circle".

Back in the late 60's and early 70's the Big Three were suffering pretty bad at the hands of the Japs. Toyota, Mazda, etc were coming out with cars that got great fuel mileage and would go for years without any problems.

I purchased a new Dodge Charger in 1968 and had a BUNCH of problems with it including a windshield water leak. I took it back to the dealer many times in the 13 months I owned it and sold it because I was totally disgusted with the quality of the car and the TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE sevice (they never did fix the simple water leak).

In 1970 I bought a brand new Toyota Corrola (with air conditioning) for around $1800!!! I Loved It! I owned that car for 4 years and sold it with 86,000 trouble free miles on it for $1000.

Lee Iacoca (president of Ford at the time) (I think) saw the "quality problem" and started to turn Ford around. That's when they came out with the saying "Quality is Job 1". The other manufacturers followed Ford and started building better quality cars.

That was 30 years ago.....now I guess it's coming around "Full Circle".

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
I have a brother in Arkansas that drives Acura's...............the first one that he had went thru 2 trans. The last one went thru 1. All 3 were replaced under warranty, and he just bought a new Acura from them. Not sure what the hell he was thinking, other than maybe he likes hanging around there.
I have 3 Toyota's.............don't have a clue what GM is doing, but am not going to find out soon.

John

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Oh yea....."One more note".....

My wife has a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo that we purchased new in 2000. Last April the transmission went out at 66,000 miles. Isuzu replaced the tranny at "Absolutely NO CHARGE". They didn't charge me a nickle! :D

Like I said..."Full Circle"

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have 3 Toyota's.............don't have a clue what GM is doing, but am not going to find out soon.
For one thing they just increased their drive train warranty to 5 years 100,00 miles, transferable. So you don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
All the big auto makers make good cars. Some may have more problems than others. Im on my forth GM vehicle, and have had nothing but good luck with all of them.
So before we go bashing American made cars, lets dont forget about all the problems our GoldWings have that Mother Honda wont fix. Problems that have occured year after year.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
as somebody who has managed a small fleet of "work vans" with Chevy, Ford and Dodge.......... they all eat tranny's depending on how hard you work them. I have paid for all three brands when it comes to tranny work.

I will tell you one thing........... I did an analysis of the fleet of ten trucks over 4 years and the funny thing was..........the broken ones tended to follow certain drivers................ I am not kidding. I had a couple of guys that no matter what they drove...... I was constantly fixing brakes (the pads would go much faster) or Tranny problems. I had one guy who went four years wherein he almost had no problems........no matter what he drove (he only drove basically two trucks in 4 years though) but nothing ever broke out of the ordinary maint. items. I put brakes on each of his trucks and that was basically it. And the brakes lasted 40k miles or better on both.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Yah I Had to have the trans and torque converter in Ruby ( 96 Ford F 150 4+4 Pickup truck) rebuilt last winter, but then she's a working girl. Pulls wagons,NH3 tanks and a double axel trailer we use for water wagon (1200 gal of water, 150 gal chem, transfer pump) and some times a pallet of seed in the box (3000 LBS) she gets all the nasty jobs the new pickups only get driven on sundays. Oh by the way she only has 172000 miles on her, but she loves her job and is always ready to go.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Okay...."One More Note"....

Before anyone says "I'm" bashing American Made autos....I will tell you that I have a 2003 Ford F-150 and I Love It!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts