GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Vendor
22,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I broke down and mounted and wired my 376c GPS to my 09 Wing. I was hoping I wouldn't have to use 2 GPS units on the bike, but the inability to load routes into the Honda GPS drove me over the edge. I could live with all it's other shortcomings except that one.

I'm getting ready for 6K mile trip, and I just can't see myself doing it by building each route individually on the bike and then trying to load all the needed VIA points to force it to take the route I want. So now I have two weather radar capable GPS units on the bike and two XM subscriptions running. It seems a bit silly to have two, but I just don't see a way around it. If only Honda had given us the ability to load routes, this wouldn't be necessary.

I put a RAM ball on the clutch reservoir like I had on the 02 and wired in the audio via a Kennedy Dual set into the intercom input.

·
Registered
36 Posts
too bad you had to install a second GPS, if its any consolation - the install job looks excellent!:thumbup:

·
Registered
871 Posts
Fred,

Why the gxm-30? Don't you get xm and radar on the bike's display? Other than redundancy, does the gxm-30 give you anything the bike does not?

Lance

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have a Gramin 2820 on my 2009, plus the nav. on the bike. I had a 2610 on my 2006, with the bike nav. I don't put in a lot of routes. Am going to Kerrville,Tx. in April. I will put in Kerrville,Tx. Then I ride west. If I see a road I want to ride, I just turn on road an ride. I don't worry about getting lost. The GPS will get me back on route, when I through riding some road it didn't want me on. I am retired, so I am never in a rush. If I am in a rush, I just leave early. Have a safe trip and don't get lost. JoeA

·
Registered
876 Posts
I'm obviously no commuter guru, but how difficult would it be for Honda to develop computer software and a cable that would allow you to remove the GPS chip from the trunk, plug it into your computer and load a trip. Is my idea just a pipe dream, if not, why couldn't something like this be pursued. Maybe I've had to much today.:coffee1::shrug:

·
Vendor
22,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the 376c all set up with the GXM 30 antenna long before I got the 09 Wing. I also use it on the Concours, so I still need the antenna so I can get the weather radar info.

The added subscription for the 376c costs me $10 a month (Skywatch package), but it saves me $6 a month on the Wing subscription, since having two radios puts me in the "Family Plan". So it seems like it is worth it for only $4 a month to keep the 376c subscription active. The 376c NexRad also seems to be a bit higher resolution, and I can take it with me on the other bike or in the car, or even use it in the house.

JoJo, I take great care in planning routes that avoid heavily trafficed roads or interstates or large cities, and when I travel from Texas to California to Seattle and Canada and then back home, it takes a little bit of planning to be able to do the whole trip without getting on the interstate. While I don't plan the entire route in advance, I do get out the laptop in the hotel the night before and rough out a route that I load into the GPS. Sometimes I stick to it, and sometimes I don't, but having a pre-loaded route to fall back on has saved me several times. Especially when you are traveling out west with sometimes hundreds of miles between any significant towns with places to eat or sleep.

Yea, I could try to get out maps each night and then spend 20 minutes with the bike running sitting outside and trying to load the route into it for the next day, but I just don't know if that is going to be practical to do. I need to be able to use Mapsource on the PC and lay out a 500 - 700 mile route and make sure it is going on the roads I want to take. Trying to do that on the Honda nav system is going to be very cumbersome, if not downright impossible.

·
Vendor
22,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm obviously no commuter guru, but how difficult would it be for Honda to develop computer software and a cable that would allow you to remove the GPS chip from the trunk, plug it into your computer and load a trip. Is my idea just a pipe dream, if not, why couldn't something like this be pursued. Maybe I've had to much today.:coffee1::shrug:
I'll tell you a little secret. There already is a USB port on the 09 GPS board. The SD card is also easily removed and accessed for loading routes onto it. The problem is that the current firmware doesn't support additional routes.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I've got a factory navigation system in my new car but it's more of a gadget to me. After I got through playing with it, I hardly use it. I've always thought, if I couldn't find where I was going with a map, I probably should stay home.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Good luck on your trip. You have a great knowledge about the Gold Wing. You do all kinds of work on them and then some so I have to ask, why did you buy one with Navi on it if you were going to use your own set up. You must of known of the limitations of the Honda navi system. That and all the trouble Honda has with the heated grips and heated seat is one of the reasons I bought an 08 base model. I can add my own stuff, which I do, and have less trouble and save a lot on the price of the bike.

·
Vendor
22,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got a factory navigation system in my new car but it's more of a gadget to me. After I got through playing with it, I hardly use it. I've always thought, if I couldn't find where I was going with a map, I probably should stay home.
I have found a shortcut (via the 376c) that cuts over 100 miles off a route going from western Colorado over into Utah. It's all on real narrow paved county roads and it weaves around and avoids several roads that turn into gravel or dead ends. I have ridden it three times now, and there is absolutely no way I could follow it without a pre-loaded route on the GPS. Many of the roads aren't labeled and none of them show up on maps.

I have a similar route that cuts across from Nevada into California, and another that goes across the Sierras on narrow back roads, and very few of the roads are marked. There is simply no way I could do them without using Mapsource to build a route and loading it into the GPS.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Valentine 1

Fred:

I noticed that you have th V1 concealed display. Where do you mount the V1 radar detector? Thanks.

·
Vendor
22,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fred:

I noticed that you have th V1 concealed display. Where do you mount the V1 radar detector? Thanks.
If you look close, you will also see that I have modified the remote display so it is quite a bit smaller in depth. The V1 is mounted inside the fairing.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
well fred, i knew it wouldnt take long to mount a real gps on your bluey

i think i turned on the honda nav about once in the last 60,000 miles, trying to find a honda dealer, that we didnt know the name

of course we couldnt find it on that either

·
Registered
681 Posts
Don't feel bad Fred I put my 376 on my new 09 yesterday to.

·
Vendor
22,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't feel bad Fred I put my 376 on my new 09 yesterday to.
Thanks. It's nice to know I'm not alone. I do like the 09 GPS and wanted to give is a fair chance, but the inability to load routes just kills it for me.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
The V1 is mounted inside the fairing.
Fred...

I know we talked about this a little with your former Wing. Exactly WHERE in the fairing do you have it now? Still in the speaker cavity, or somewhere else now?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ok Fred. Can you give some more info on the "376" I am absolutely clueless on GPS systems my 08 Prem. does not have it. Thought at the time I didn't need GPS to get lost but now am seeing could be a useful tool.

Ok Brand, model, features that make it best, price?? and best place to purchase.

thanks for the input,

Old Crow :bow:

·
Registered
19,314 Posts
Maybe leave the radar going on the Honda unit, and route going on the 376

1 - 20 of 23 Posts