GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks back I posted a question about my right hand going to sleep after even just 10 minutes of holding the throttle. I got several good responses, including that the main cause was carpal tunnel. Others said that Kuryakin Iso grips might help.

All responses were correct, as I do have a case of carpal tunnel. However, I had my dealer install Kuryakin Iso Grips and the Throttle Boss first, along with Kuryakin bar risers. I wanted to try this first.

The difference was amazing. The grips are much more comfortable, and the throttle boss doesn't make me keep a death grip on the throttle. The risers of course, set the bars up and back, and I no longer have to lean forward to reach the bars.

I had them installed on a Friday, and the next morning I had to make a trip to Layfayette, La., a distance of about 170 miles. I intentionally didn't use the cruise control. My hand was still fresh because of the grip modifications, and bar risers kept the rest of my body feeling fresh. This has made a tremendous difference. All I need now is a set of Mic-O-Pegs and I'll be in tall cotton.

I do regret the loss of the heated grips, but the dealer told me that Kuryakin grips will not work with the grip heater option. Guess I'll just use warm gloves.

Glockjock

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
The dealer didn't have the part - so -He told you a LIE .

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
We may be talking of two different things.
The 06 probably has the comfort package wich includes the factory heated grips. They will in fact not work if you take them off and put something else back on.

I also believe that the loss of them may cause the heated seats not to work as well.

Aftermarket heated grips, like EC's, do work under the ISO grips and others.

·
Administrator
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ronbien said:
We may be talking of two different things.
The 06 probably has the comfort package wich includes the factory heated grips. They will in fact not work if you take them off and put something else back on.

I also believe that the loss of them may cause the heated seats not to work as well.

Aftermarket heated grips, like EC's, do work under the ISO grips and others.
Thanks for clearing this up. I tried the seats or the first time a few days ago when my wife was with me, an they did not work. I didn't realize that the two issues were related.

The heated seats I must have. It's a wife thing. :) So far it sounds like in order to use the comfort package I will have to go back to the stock grips. Am I correct? I'm willing to give up the Iso grips if I must, as long as I can keep the throttle boss and the factory Comfort Package.

Do I have any other optons?

Glockjock

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
We are working on heater elements that will work with the 2006 system and will work with your Iso grips...under them actually.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I had a problem with the stock Wing heated grips just being too small for my hands but rather than trading off the heated portion for Kury Iso's I went with $7.50 grip covers from California Touring. They were time consuming to install but well worth the effort once I rode with them. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts