GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I joined the club today. Pulled the bike out of the garage to wash it before going on a ride. As I went down the drive and out into the yard to turn around, to be facing uphill in the driveway, I was on the ground - I dumped the bike in the yard! Slow speed left turn. Never thought I would do it, been riding 46 years. The bank angle sensor worked!

R

·
0 Posts
:congrats: I hope someday to never join that club although I have come mighty close. :thumbup::lol: Hope you didn't scratch anything up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I joined the club last year in a VERY public place, hardly a scratch on the bike, but my pride was ever so damaged! great lesson learned though.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
There are two kinds of GL1800 riders in this world. Those that have dumped their bike and those that are going to. Fortunately, for the times that I dropped my yellow 1800, it was always very slow and more of a "put it down slowly" type of deal. Never hurt the bike, but did bend the riding pegs a time or two. No big deal - it's going to happen.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Well I see you took a long time in the apprenticeship program, but you finally passed the test. Everyone sooner or later joins the club. After a couple times, it become like second nature.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I hope I don't drop my GL! Now that I have had the anti dropping accessory installed. I dropped the Valk enough to make up for it, though.

Now I only have to worry about the Suz

:biker:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
only pride

No damage, other than to my pride, thank goodness!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Just a thought from Rickster the tipster (a name well deserved) :lol:

If no one saw it, it did not happen. :wink:

Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the same experience, slow turn in soft dirt and just fell over...:oops:
I had the fortune of being in a descrete location, good to hear you are not physically injured and the bike is OK.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Glad to hear the bank angle sensor worked,I haven't check that safety feature yet...My wing doesn't like grass at all :eek:4:...
Once I backed off a concrete driveway at a angle turning around...When I tried to pull forward the wing wouldn't pull up on the edge of the driveway at the angle,instead the wing slid 18" to square up before it would even attempt to pull off the slick grass and back onto the driveway :22yikes:

The closest I came to dropping the wing was the first year I had it...I was washing the bike made a big mistake,started washing the bike on the sidestand...Well when I went to put the bike up on the centerstand with tennis shoes(I work and ride with boots)everything was wet and soapy...My foot slipped off the centerstand in the middle of the lift...For a split second when I slipped,I let go of the bike to catch my balance...I almost fell on the bike, while it was standing balanced on it's own I regained my balance and grabbed the left handlebar and was able to regain control :22yikes:
I learned a lesson that day :lol: I always put the bike on the centerstand first :lol: and the GW has amazing balance :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
117 Posts
I was turning around in a parking lot on a slope, and when I put my foot down there was some loose rock. My foot slipped and the bike went down.
This was several years ago when I had a Harley. No damage to the bike, but this happened in Sturgis in front of several hundred people. In my hurry to pick the bike back up as quick as possible, I strained a muscle or two.
It's surprising what we do sometimes in moments of extreme embaressment.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Wow, lots of angst about such a simple and common mishap! Everybody is either in the club or will be.....

Get some help, lay it down on blankets on purpose, learn to pick it up, and quit sweating this! It's no biggie... I've had occasion to pick mine up from both sides more than once. Oh well!

Just don't get caught between the bike and the ground, and don't try too hard to catch it if it's going over. A few degrees over and it's inevitable! This bike's weight is unstoppable if it gets much off vertical.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts