GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I minutes ago found myself with hearing aids in my ears . After a few week ago hearing test I was kinda shocked to find out at 53 I have %60 hearing loss . Holy crap was I missing a lot . Examples are the crunching sound snow makes when walking in it , how loud our Akita dogs toenails are on hardwood floors , the alert sound my truck makes when I leave keys in , oh and my favorite the cracking of ice cubes in a glass of water as its poured into a glass .

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yes my wife said I should have my hearing checked WHAT? I told her I’m losing my hearing from her yelling at me all the time!!!
Sometimes I like the quietness!!!:wink2:

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I am way overdue for same. I get a sample of what it would be like to hear better, permanently, when on the range. I use the Mickey Mouse ears with battery powered volume control. When turned up, they allow me to hear a pin drop, and conversations going on 25+ feet away; simultaneously, they muffle the sound of gunfire. I consider them the greatest thing since a pocket on a shirt, but really MUST get round to hearing aids, as you have.

I am also gonna get round to lasik eye surgery someday. The wife and I are trying to get each other to go first. LOL

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I got them this last spring, was one of the better decisions I have made. Nobody can tell I have them in..control them with my cell phone...pretty awesome.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I am way overdue for same. I get a sample of what it would be like to hear better, permanently, when on the range. I use the Mickey Mouse ears with battery powered volume control. When turned up, they allow me to hear a pin drop, and conversations going on 25+ feet away; simultaneously, they muffle the sound of gunfire. I consider them the greatest thing since a pocket on a shirt, but really MUST get round to hearing aids, as you have.

I am also gonna get round to lasik eye surgery someday. The wife and I are trying to get each other to go first. LOL
So Joe, are you the guy on the left or the right???

Attachments

·
Crazy Northerner
8,628 Posts
When I got mine it was in the summer. I went out on the deck and didn't realize how loud the birds were.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I minutes ago found myself with hearing aids in my ears . After a few week ago hearing test I was kinda shocked to find out at 53 I have %60 hearing loss . Holy crap was I missing a lot . Examples are the crunching sound snow makes when walking in it , how loud our Akita dogs toenails are on hardwood floors , the alert sound my truck makes when I leave keys in , oh and my favorite the cracking of ice cubes in a glass of water as its poured into a glass .
Mind if I ask what you do or did occupationally? Locomotive engineer? Rock or gravel industry?

·
Crazy Northerner
8,628 Posts
Mind if I ask what you do or did occupationally? Locomotive engineer? Rock or gravel industry?
Pretty much every thing he does is noisy and capable of damaging his hearing.

·
IronMan
17,636 Posts
NOW YOUR "SEWING MACHINE " WILL DEFIENTLY BE A "SINGER " . :laugh:

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
28 years machinist / maintenance tech . Plus as George stated everything in my life is bad for my hearing . Bikes , open air Jeeps ,chainsaws , music , tending bar , and people yelling at me !! :wink2:

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
I'm still in denial that I need them, (68 yrs old).. Had my hearing tested last month, (Of course they said that I needed them) and they just happened to have my pair right there, just ready for me to buy them
@ $3,000... Tooo strange, and tooo much of a coincidence....

Just like a eye doctor, it just seem too much of a coincidence, that there's a eye glass shop, connected to his eye testing office......Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ronnie

·
Crazy Northerner
8,628 Posts
I'm still in denial that I need them, (68 yrs old).. Had my hearing tested last month, (Of course they said that I needed them) and they just happened to have my pair right there, just ready for me to buy them

Just like a eye doctor, it just seem too much of a coincidence, that there's a eye glass shop, connected to his eye testing office......Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ronnie
They are just doing that for your convenience. (and so you don't buy any where else)
The good thing about not having them is you don't hear the people that are sitting around you saying "That guy needs hearing aids". LOL

·
Registered
922 Posts
I got mine about a year and a half ago, Yes it sure does make a difference. Plus I can now turn off the ones I don't want to listen to or hear..
72 years old..

Reactions: cycledude

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Ronnie
%60 hearing loss , I thought denial was not an option . Everything is almost disturbing now noise wise . The dog and wood floor is killing me . She may have to get felt booties . !!!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

Ronnie
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Walkers-Ga...lUhbhwc0:sc:USPSPriority!40160!US!-1:rk:12:pf With volume turned up, these restore my hearing to the days of youth. They also muffle loud noise very effectively, and cost about $40. Yet actual hearing aids, which likely use the same technology, cost thousands of dollars. My guess as to why: hearing loss is a diagnosable medical condition, therefore meets medical necessity, and is usually covered by insurance. So it involves the medical model, medical professionals (audiologist), support staff, etc.. Kinda like why a Tylenol cost $75 in a hospital, but only $5 for 24 of them off the shelf at WalMart.

Still, if we need them, we gotta pay, or hopefully our insurance will.

Reactions: cycledude
1 - 20 of 51 Posts