GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I do not know much about that tire, but......if the sipes all go one way, then yes it is directional, if they reverse on each side of the tire, you just flip a coin.

Kit

Well I went and hunted up your tire, looks like half the tread runs one way and half runs the other way, I do not think you can use this tire, unless you wish to pull a trailer with you all the time. This tire will not turn corners, so each corner you come to you have to call for someone to come load the bike and pull it around the corner, so if you just pull a trailer along, you should be ok.

Just messing around.........

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
I may be off.....

I put mine on the right way and I think most rear tires are directional.

It's the BAX on the front that gets switched around sometimes.

But I'm just a newb at all this too so don't put any stock in what I have to say.

Maybe some of the experts around here will let us know for sure.

And if this is your first CT,

Welcome !!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Mount it either way. Start @ 30 PSI and see how you like it. The Conti is a nice riding tire but does not have a great reputation for longevity. It has excellent traction though not as good as the Pirelli Eufori. It is one of the more popular CT's for Wings.

·
Smoky
1,190 Posts
The ContiProContact has a symmetric tread design so it can be mounted in either direction as other have mentioned. I have about 17K on mine and expect to get another 5 to 6K more out of it. I have been running it at 30 psi and it is wearing smooth and even.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tire came in today. Man, that is a whopper. Does not even look like it would fit. I do have another question for you experts. The tread at the tire's edges run in a different curved direction (if that makes sense) will it feel different turning left and then turning right?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
alabamaWing, If the installer asks, Yes --- "LEFT REAR".

If he does not --- NO. ;)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Tire

How about a note on the dificulties of mounting the tire and putting the tire on the bike.

·
Smoky
1,190 Posts
Tire came in today. Man, that is a whopper. Does not even look like it would fit. I do have another question for you experts. The tread at the tire's edges run in a different curved direction (if that makes sense) will it feel different turning left and then turning right?

alabamaWing,
That is the tire I am running and you will not feel any difference in turning left or right. The tire is a non directional tire so it doesn't matter which way it is mounted. Enjoy, it is a good handling tire, I have a little over 17K on mine and expect to get another 5 or 6K out of it :yes1: !

·
Registered
973 Posts
It fits alright!!!!!

That was fall of last year, a brand new 205/55R16 Continental ContiProContact SSR. The 195/55 fits even better. No, you can't feel any difference turning one way or the other due to the tread.

This is 18,000 miles, probably 3,000 miles of it around town and 15,000 on the highway with 12,000 of that pulling a trailer. I ran 30 one-up and 33 w/trailer and/or a passenger which in hind-sight was a little too high

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
195-55 fits just fine once you get it past one point. A little dish soap or grease in the right spot helps a lot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.