GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a MadStad Windshield yesterday.
I have one on my 2012 VStrom DL1000 already, and love it on my VStrom.
I'm really excited to get the MadStad for my 2010 GL1800.
Stay tuned for updates.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Fine choice!!! What size did you go with?

·
Registered
802 Posts
It goes without saying, we'll need pictures once it is installed. Did I just say that?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went with the 16" windshield.
I'm 6'4". Ultimate King seat.
I hope the windshield is tall enough.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I love mine...........a lot! Just noticed I should update my picture with the Madstad Windshield on.......

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I went with the 16" windshield.
I'm 6'4". Ultimate King seat.
I hope the windshield is tall enough.
Should be good for you, since you can raise the shield and the mounting base like the OEM if you need to. Then again, at your height, you can still lower both to provide a clear view over the top.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just ordered the 14". It may be a little tall. We'll see. I have short legs but a longer torso for my height. The production date on my RDL is in September so I can't really know until then. If it is too tall I can get a 12" tinted as my summer shield and use the clear 14" as my winter shield.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I wonder how this shield performs in heavy rain? Does the rain come up under the shield? That would be a concern of mine.
In light rain, the air seems to move most of it over the top. I still get a little, but nothing to worry about. In a torrential down pour, you're gonna get wet, but that's what rain gear is for. I run the 12" shield, and if I want or need a bit more protection, I can simply raise the base and the shield so I'm behind it just like a regular wind shield. Rain seems to be the biggest concern with the Madstads, but the biggest plus is you're not looking through all the water on the windshield or the scratches and water beads at night. I know a guy who runs a Tulsa Tall and loves it, right up to the point he has to look through the rain beads and fog. He tends to be a fair weather rider. Remember, you're on a motorcycle, there's no such thing as perfect protection from the elements. That's what makes it exciting. Ride safe.

·
Registered
236 Posts
FWIW:: Just drove 300 miles in the rain last month with the 14" madstad. Since it is a two piece design you will get wet and the dash/ instrument panel gets significantly wetter than my vstream did....but, all other conditions are well worth the tradeoff! I did prefer my vstream for rain use but, all other conditions the madstad is my choice.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could you not just simply cram a big towel in-between the two shields to keep the water off you.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
In my experience, the amount of rain funneled behind the windshield is minimal. That gap provides air flow to kill the vacuum behind the shield, which is what creates buffeting. There will be some moisture pass through, but it's not like a funnel forcing water at you. The biggest cause of rain getting to you is the volume of rain overcoming the air stream coming off the front of the windshield. Speed and the angle of the shield will determine how much air is forced up and how much rain it can deflect before the air stream is overcome. You can tuck a towel in there, but it's positive effect is minimal. I've ridden in the rain with a stock windshield and gotten wet as well. The vacuum created behind the shield draws the rain around and behind it, so rain gear is still needed. So, it's a list of positives and negatives between the Madstad and conventional style windshields. Which improves your ride quality the best? If you have a list of 5 things surrounding ride quality, which shield gets a plus for more of those 5?

Reactions: Barrycuda67

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still waiting on my MadStad

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Due in on Friday

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just a little heads up. One of the models offered was for the GL1800 / F6B. I thought that it would fit either. Not so. That version has no adjustment capabilities for up and down using the standard adjustment levers. To exchange it would cost for 2 way shipping. I was able to install it but the convenient height adjustment is not there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
May I recommend the Angle Pro app. Madstad recommends the windshield be set at 60 degrees so this app works well to set it. IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks for the tip, that ap works great! I downloaded it today, then measured my Madstad. There are 5 usable adjustment notches: the 1st notch, which cants the shield max rearward measured 52 degrees; 2nd was 58; 3rd was 61; 4th was 64, and 5th was 68. The degrees did not vary, between highest and lowest height settings of the shield.

I have a 14" shield and run it all the way down, in 1st, 2nd and 3rd cant notches, at 52-61 degrees. In the 4th or 5th notch, the air taps on top of the helmet, which is annoying. It had been in the 1st notch since the weather warmed up. I look over the shield, and can see about 25' in front of the bike. I am 5'11", with a 32" inseam, and usually sit on an AirHawk.

To the OP, I am betting you will love the Madstad. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I received it today, but haven't had time to install it yet.
Mine is the 16 inch, and looks quite small, but I'm sure it will be plenty high once installed.
I'm 6'4", sitting one inch higher on a Ultimate King seat.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts