GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I thought, I'll pull up a map on Google Maps and begin to drop pins on it. Places of interest, places I might visit, rallies and such that are happening around the country, etc. I don't need route planning. I just want to see the map, view the pins in my immediate area, and make decisions about where I will go next.

I was so frustrated to discover that Google Maps will NOT give me a simple map with a clean slate, and let ME put pins where I want them. Noooo! I place a pin at The Avenue of the Giants, and suddenly a thousand %&^* pins appear on the map ... Barney's Redwood Furniture, Tree Care, Vacation getaways, campgrounds, etc. They clutter up the map so when I zoom out, I just see a blob of $%^& pins!

I just want a simple, CLEAR map that I can create, that will contain maybe ... 300 pins, maybe more .. with the locations of friends, relatives, places of interest, Honda shops for maintenance and repairs, etc. When I stop, I can pull out the iPad, bring up the map, and see what is around me. Uncle Bill, my old high school girlfriend, a Honda shop, a Banjo Jamboree, and maybe a club meeting. I want to choose from among pre-selected choices that I made, not Google!

Joe

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Well you can... sorta.

B6778007-B46F-4B38-ABF0-AF06BD80CDD4.jpg

The photo above shows my Google Map on my iPad, but pretty sure same options are available on the computer. All of the campgrounds & RV Park’s I’ve either stayed in, or maybe plan to, are indicated by the gold stars. The green flags are possible places I wanna ride by or visit if I’m in the area.

Instead of simply dropping pins... you’ve got to save them. When you pull up a location, look on your menu and click the SAVE option. From there, you can either save it as a Favorite, Starred Place, Want To Go, or make up your name by clicking NEW LIST.

CF4E4D4E-216A-4438-9FEB-BC98EB96C550.jpg

40BC6FFB-234F-4A10-9148-500B5514F9EE.jpg

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I remember one of the first long road trips I took. I didn't begin riding until all my children could take of themselves (and I could finally afford a used Goldwing), so it wasn't that long ago. I had an IPad and a Rand McNally Road Atlas stored in my top case. After several hours of riding in new to me territory I stopped to check my location with the IPad. It was a bright, sunny day. The bright sunlight rendered the IPad screen impossible to see. Thankfully with the road atlas and a route sign I was able to determine my approximate location and get on with my journey. Maybe it's just me and old age, but I like to see the big picture and nothing does that better than a paper map. GPS, computer and phone maps do make for good supplements to the paper maps, but I will never travel into unknown territory without a paper map.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Perhaps you want Google "MyMaps". It lets you drop and save all sorts of pins, and then you can call those maps back up when you want them. Confusingly similar name to Google Maps.

https://www.google.com/mymaps

Reactions: lyle doverspike

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
You do have to sign into your Google Account for this to work. If you have an Android phone within the last decade or so, you probably already have at least one Google account.

If there's going to be a *lot* of points, it might be easier to identify them by latitude/longitude - then import that list into Maps.

It's quite a powerful tool, but it might take a bit of putzing around to understand how it functions.

EDIT: Example: https://www.create.net/support/how-to-pin-point-multiple-locations-on-google-maps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts