GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
most people are running Traxions. I don't see myself ever affording them. Has anyone gone the Progressive spring route. Did it improve the ride ... etc?

Just askin' ... :lol:

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I do not believe that most people are riding on Traxxion bikes. Most Wings on the road are running stock suspensions. Out of about 100 bikes I know of in my area I am only aware of 3 that have Traxxion on them. Not a slam but most riders have no idea what a good suspension feels like or even care.

Personally I've had Progressives springs in the front since my bike was new in 2002. I put the Traxxion rear spring and adjuster on my bike at 135000. I'm at 165000 at this time and happy with my choice. When I did the rear I had planned on going the Progressive route but started reading about install and other problems so I went with TRaxxion. Cost on the rear would not have been much different if I remember right.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If you're not a racer or one who pushes the envelope, stock will do the job. I'm sure Traxxion suspensions will make a positive difference, but for my own use, I'm not sure it would make a $2500-$3000 difference. Just my opinion and as the old saying goes, opinions are like "noses", everybody's got one and they all smell!:joke::lol:

·
Registered
657 Posts
A freind of mine who always has to have the latest and greatest pulled th e progesive suspention out of his bike and put in traxtion. then he gave me the progesive. He tells me there is not a big differance beteen the to. But I first put in the front was like a new bike. then a few mounths later put in the back and that made it a little better. would I spend the money money to do it ? the front in a heatbeat the back Idont know lot of money for not that much better

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have had Progressives in all my bikes and feel they do make a difference, especially if you put in a couple spacer washers on top of the spring to pre load it. :yes1:

·
Registered
528 Posts
You may want to consider Race Tech http://www.racetech.com/

From what I have heard and read, it is a considerable improvement over stock, not as good as Traxxion, but certainly more affordable.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I went the progressive route in the front, and the results were positive, night and day!

I do not think that I am an accomplished enough rider to feel/know the difference of a Traxion clad vehicle. Just a little too steep $$$$ for my pocketbook, considering the initial cost and the required maintenance schedule. Not so sure that you recoup all that much $$ on resale either.

At any rate my Motto is: If you like it, I love it!

Bulldog

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah ... the Trax are way out of my cash flow .... are the Progressives hard to install??

·
Registered
312 Posts
Traxxion VS Progressive

While my bike is a 2009 with Traxxion and I love it I have many other bikes I have played with using either Racetech or Progressive. I think you could have a great handling Wing with Raceteck fork springs and some advice from their tech guys on what weight fork oil to use. Then add All Balls a fork brace a Traxxion lower fork tree and a Traxxion rear spring. If you added some gold emulators to the forks I bet you could not easily tell the difference between that and Traxxion.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
most people are running Traxions. I don't see myself ever affording them. Has anyone gone the Progressive spring route. Did it improve the ride ... etc?

Yup, and yup! I thought it was worth the investment.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
By "improving" the ride, what exactly are you looking for? What is your complaint? Your opinion of "improved" might not be the same as others.

I got Progressivized and I like it. It was cheap and the front no longer bottoms out. The ride is a little stiffer but I like that better too.:thumbup:

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've had Progressive springs and now have the Traxxion setup. The Progressive springs are an improvement over stock and for most people that's all they will need. They absorb bumps better and the bike will handle better. They are pretty jarring when hitting potholes and the like. In the twisties you'll still get some of the wallowing feeling but not near as bad as stock.

I'd also put a fork brace on if you don't have one. The new Kuryakyn brace seems good for the money.

My brother has a 2007 Goldwing with stock suspension. If he were to ask me about suspension upgrades I would tell him how much I love my Traxxion setup, but I would recommend he first try Progressive springs, fork brace, and All-Balls. That $300 upgrade might be enough to make him happy.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

Leon,

ANYTHING you do to the suspension will help.

The stock suspension is too softly spring for a 900 lb motorcycle, especially with your average Goldwing couple on board. By ourselves, no extras like gear, helmets, clothes :)wrong:) my wife & I exceed the rated capacity of a Goldwing. I don't know if this a consequence of the soft springing, perhaps looking for the billowy ride of a '59 Caddy, but they put an anti-dive mechanism in so that the brakes wouldn't make the front end dive for the pavement.
If you put stronger springs in (around 1.0 to 1.1 seems to be a good choice for most) then you can disable the anti-dive, which may well be stuck on your bike. Anti-dives stick a lot, and if they stick you then have all the suspension travel of your dining room table.
As long as you are in the forks, you should probably replace your seals and bushings. Since you are there already.
You might also consider going with the RaceTech Gold Valves. The full kit for both sides is around $250 maybe, and well worth it. It gets rid of the anti-dive, and substantially improves the compression and rebound damping of the forks. BTW, I personally would go with Traxxion or RaceTech springs myself. These are a straight rate spring, and are much easier to fine tune that a progressive wound spring.
If you have basic motorcycle skills, perhaps are familiar with the insides of forks, and have some basic tools, you can do this yourself. Just go slow, perhaps get Fred's videos, certainly get a manual. Do one fork, then the other. If you have an air-driven impact tool, use it to remove the hex bolts at the bottom of the fork tubes. It's kind of easy to not hit them hard enough the first time, then they spin. That's a pain.

If you have the forks off, you are 1/2 way to the stem bearings. Since they only cost about $45, well worth considering while you have the front end off, since you are 1/2 way there.

The rear can be addressed separately.

I went into more detail in this post a month ago or so..
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284302

BTW, Bulldog.. while all the posts you see about Traxxion wax ecstatic over the handling improvements Traxxion gives, the real benefit that you will use every foot you ride is a more compliant, comfortable ride without the spine jarring wham-slam over the bumps, and without driving your shoulders up into your helmet. Yes, it's expensive. No, it's not for everyone. Yes, RaceTech is an excellent alternative, for about 1/2 the money.
Traxxion AK20s, springs, fork oil, new rebound adjustable caps, $1150
RaceTech Goldvalves, springs, fork oil, $400
Both plus installation, seals, dust caps, bushings as needed.
The Traxxion needs to be installed by a Traxxion Authorized center / shop / person, The Racetech has no such restrictions. The RaceTech is a more complex install, and the RaceTech setup is only internally adjustable, so you have to take the forks off and take them apart to make any adjustments.
I'm sure you could notice the difference. If you get to NH, I'll give you a chance to ride both a Traxxion bike, and a RaceTech bike.

Maintenance schedule: Traxxion recommends fork service at 20K miles. Honda doesn't recommend any fork service at all. I'm sure you've rebuilt your share of forks; did they need seals, were the bushings worn, did the oil from the left one especially smell like dead rotten fish, and look like sludge? A fork overhaul at 20K miles is not that bad an idea.. At least change the oil, examine the bushings.

Back to Leon..
If you decide to go with just springs, it's easy enough to do. You might want to clean the forks, change the oil, and examine the bushings for wear while you are there. Also, new seals would be in order. And, if you put better springs in, disable the anti-dive.

=Dave=
rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
698 Posts
Race tech here. Gold valve front. ADV deleted (obviously) Racetech springs. Racetech rear shock. Tapered bearings (all balls).

Totally sweet.

I was headed toward taxxion but they would not allow my favorite shop (well trained and experienced suspension tech) to do the install. Racetech had no problem with it. I could not see my way clear to spending more for the traxxion 'tude plus having to deliver and pick up my bike significantly farther from home.

In the end couldn't be happier. All sorts of issues with the stock bike are corrected. Primarily: no wobble ever. no 'take up' in the rear preload. no sag from simply adding one body to the weight of the bike. (if you look at actual spring rates that are considered appropriate for actual loads you quickly discover that the stock fork springs are way too weak). No tire cupping. etc etc.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

One of the first things I changed when I got my bike is the stock front springs to Progressives, made a huge difference in how it handled bumps & kept it from bottoming out over the RR tracks down the road from my house. Next change was All Balls, gave it a tighter, more precise feel then added a Traxxion fork brace which helped even more especially at low speeds. Last thing I added was the Centramatics which make it ride way smoother even though the tire was balanced (was only 1/10 oz out of balance before adding any weights). Together, these changes make it handle like a different bike from what I first brought home. Total cost for what I have done so far is under 700.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Being a large person, I had Progressives put on the front of my bike when I bought it.. It has always handled exceptionally well, and I haven't had the problems that a lot people seem to have with the front end of their bikes. I recently had a Progressive rear spring installed as well, and the handling is firm and authoritative, even leaned over with no preload on the rear.. I recommend them if you load your bike up heavy regularly or find the stock suspension too soft.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts