GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already knew this about the 1800's before I bought them, but when you compare my 1986 Special Editon to the 1800 I lost several features.

The 86 would show me average gas mileage, current gas mileage, miles left on the tank of gas, gal. left in tank. And the oil pressure and oil temprature. and that was 23 years ago.

It seems that since they have TPSM on the new bikes they could at least add the MPG and the miles left on the tank. I do really miss that.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
In this economy were prices are going up everyday, I think Honda's thinking on going back to the
basics will show up on their new models in the coming years.

One can only hope

Then again, somtimes I feel Honda and others are forcing owners into service bays just to repair many of these modern features
most riders know nothing about to repair.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I've ridden motorcycles for over 45 years. My 86 SEi was my 1st Gold Wing and was (IMHO) the most beautemist Wing color combo ever made. Had that Wing for more than 12 years (and 72k miles) and sold it for $1,000 less than what I paid for it. Stator was replaced under factory warranty and replaced that pesky ACG connector 5 times over the years. I always wondered why Honda never had a SEi designation (with some of the same features) for the 1800.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
There is a whole list of very simple additions that Honda could add to this bike for next to nothing that would greatly increase its value.

Like a rider to passenger music fader built into the audio system and a voltmeter just to name a couple.
Or VOX, which every other heavy tourer with onboard intercom has.

The fact that we have to use Mic Mutes on Honda's flagship is a crime.

As for those features described in the original post, my K1200LT has 'em.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
There is a whole list of very simple additions that Honda could add to this bike for next to nothing that would greatly increase its value.

Like a rider to passenger music fader built into the audio system and a voltmeter just to name a couple.
I could not agree more.

I bought one of the very first Honda Accords in the country in 1976. Back then, they made a name for themselves by offering a lot of little things that other companies either did not offer or charged extra for in that price range.

Over the years, I've owned four Honda Accords, three Acuras, eight Honda motorcycles and one Honda lawnmower. But my passion for Honda has been diminished by the fact that they seem to be in a mode now of just doing enough to get by.

Honda still does not offer any more than a five speed automatic in their cars when virtually every other brand offers 6, 7 and even 8 speed automatics, for example.

The Goldwing added TPMS, but no readout to see what the actual pressure is. I find this to be almost unbelievable that they did that on a motorcycle.

And don't get me started on how much they wimped out on the Nav system - our complaints with it are well documented on this forum.

At this point, I can honestly say I'm only loyal to my Honda dealer because the owner is a very longtime friend of mine. Had it not been for that I would have probably bought a BMW this time.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
even my 1982 yamaha virago 920, had a fully lcd dash that was easy to read even on the brightest day, it also had a gear redout as well

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Back to basics aren't bad. Less distractions.
with all the gadgets we add to our bikes, I'm not surprised to hear of riders going down. I have seen those Gas mileage computers in cars and they were fun for a while , then I never used them again.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Rode an 88 Yamaha Venture Royal for 7 years that had all the lcd readouts you can think of, cb standard, along with air adjusted front and rear suspension with a touch of the button. It was a fine bike for sure, and I could change the air filter in 5 minutes.

Was it in the same league as my 07 1800 com/nav, not even close. I am
happy with my Wing. One can wish and ask for more, and we always do.
Hard to satisfy our insatiable need for more STUFF.

PLEASE JUST PUT MORE STUFF ON MY WING.:lol:

Fred

07 Blue Wing

·
Registered
20,946 Posts
i'm pretty satisfied with the way it comes from the factory now

there is a bunch of stuff i'd like to see a little different but so far Honda has not called me for any advice :joke:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm pretty satisfied with the way it comes from the factory now

there is a bunch of stuff i'd like to see a little different but so far Honda has not called me for any advice :joke:
LOL You are so right about calling for advice. If I was a designer / marketer I would be on this board every day listening to everyone. VOX is a good example of that.

Don't get me wrong. I sold my SEI just so that I could get a 1800 I love it. It is just sad that a 20K + bike would not come with the stuff like that.

I forget about the gear display. I miss that the most. Our BMW's at work have that.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I already knew this about the 1800's before I bought them, but when you compare my 1986 Special Editon to the 1800 I lost several features.
But you gained one really, really nice feature. You can feel it when you roll the right grip. For me, that was the most important upgrade.

·
Registered
392 Posts

Fred, I noticed you mentioned this in another post. My 2006 Goldwing fades the music when I talk to my wife if the music is in the headphones. I'm sure they didn't remove this feature.

As they say "it's in there". I wish it would fade the music when played through the speakers too. Sometimes we play the music loud and I have to turn it down to have a conversation.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
That was my last bike i rode was my 1986 sei. I remember it having all the timezones on the monitor. I think i bought mine with matching helmets for around 12,000. I rode it for only 5,000 miles and got into a financial problem. Sold it to my buddy after 1 oil change for 7,500. Got stroked on that one.

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
Fred, I noticed you mentioned this in another post. My 2006 Goldwing fades the music when I talk to my wife if the music is in the headphones. I'm sure they didn't remove this feature.

As they say "it's in there". I wish it would fade the music when played through the speakers too. Sometimes we play the music loud and I have to turn it down to have a conversation.
I'm talking about being able to change the volume level of the music going to the passenger or rider, via a fader for the headsets, much like the front to rear speaker fader works.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I Lost Features

I agree that my old '86 SE-I was a wonder when it was new and even several years ago when I sold it. Many Wingers were stunned when I showed them the buttons and what it would show, no external temp gauge though (don't know how that escaped the designers back then).
Most of those features were not really that valuable but sure were awesome to play with.

Not only that but that bike would also allow me to adjust the pressure in both the front and rear shocks while on-the-move! That was a great feature I'd like to see in the newer wings.

Although I'd never trade my 1800 for the SE-I, it was a great bike and one of the most reliable bikes I've ever had even with all that bad azz electronic stuff.

Dave :p

·
Registered
392 Posts
Fader

I'm talking about being able to change the volume level of the music going to the passenger or rider, via a fader for the headsets, much like the front to rear speaker fader works.
Ah, I see...that makes more sense. I'd like that too. Sometime I like my music a little louder than my wife does.

Come to think of it, I have use for a balance control which the bike doesn't have. When my Garmin 2730 is hooked to the audio system via the single connection (power and audio come out in the one connection as opposed to the side 3.5mm Aux output) it's heavy on the left side...most noticeable when in the headsets. The audio in the right hear is barely distinguisable.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Bitch and Moan about a Cadillac

even my 1982 yamaha virago 920, had a fully lcd dash that was easy to read even on the brightest day, it also had a gear redout as well
My '83 XV920 was outfitted with the Seca jammer and bags, and a rear rack that could hold 100lbs easy (not 5lbs). I still miss how much I could load on that bike, none of my Goldwings could touch it.

It is equally a crime that the trailer market is so strong for the Wing .... had they been outfitted like my Virago, no one would need a trailer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts