GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 06 Nav Goldwing since January. I have enjoyed it beyond all I imagined. I had not ridden MCs since the 60's until last September. I started with a 06 Suzuki C50 and by January I was ready for the Wing. Everything was pure bliss until a few weeks ago when the display remained on when I turned off the key. The only way I could make it go off was too disconnect the battery.

I went by my dealer and was told it would be a week until they could work me in. A week went by and I took it in. After a few days I hadn't heard from them and went by to check. They hadn't done anything to it and said they were waiting to hear back from Honda "tech line" to see what needed to be done. Said they called but no one talked to them yet. Today, a week later I went by once again. They said "tech line" still had not called but was supposed to call them today and see if they needed to tear into it or replace something.

So I still have no idea when I might have it back. It sure would have been nice to have had the wing to enjoy over this past 3 day weekend. I don't like to complain and I would like to consider this post as just a concern at this point. I don't like to think the honeymoon is over, but I have began to ponder what would have happened if I had of been on the other side of the country and was having to wait this long and still no word on when my wing would be ready to take me home.

I have bought and viewed the DVD's by Fred and have the CD's of the maintenance manual, but my wing is under warranty and this problem does seem like something that I would have to take to a dealer with anyway.

Sorry I had to vent! But, is this the kind of problems that I should expect in the future?

·
Registered
19,378 Posts
Take it to another dealer-and make a complaint to Honda

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
This is just a guess but, if everything else is working fine then you most likely just have a stuck relay.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Sounds like a pretty simple one to me really. Your dealer just don't want to work on it cause he's got too much cash repairs in the shop. He gets no money working on yours. Light a fire under his ass, and talk to the owner of the dealrship. It's common practice sounds like to me.

Good luck.......but get a bit firmer......not ugly........yet!

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Steve why would the dealer not get any money for this repair? Mother Honda pays the dealers for warrantee work. Think about it...if Honda did not pay for all the warrantee work that has been done on Goldwings alone most dealers would have closed up.

·
Registered
705 Posts
He gets no money working on yours. Light a fire under his ass, and talk to the owner of the dealrship.
The dealer gets paid. However, to get paid he has to find something wrong.

The issue is the service dept, leaves something to be desired, call to Honda is in order

·
Registered
118 Posts
This is how the warranty works with Honda...

Lets say that there is an electrical problem with a circuit in the display. If you look at the service manual there are numerous things that 'could' be the problem that all have to be checked prior to determining the final diagnosis.

Problem is that Honda will pay for the replacement of the display and their contention is that diagnosis is included in the flat rate time.

It's not uncommon for diagnosis to actually take several hours... for which Honda won't pay.

If the dealer is 'up on things' they'll know that a phone call to the Rep wil sometimes get a small portion of the diagnosis recovered but almost never all of it.

That's why dealerships don't like warranty :twisted: and consider it a necessary evil.

Some mechanics are better than others at diagnoistic skills so it might be better to search out a better technician at another dealership.

You can also talk to the GM about how long it's taken and get the Service Manager going... it's very uncommon for Honda TechLine to take more than 24 hrs to return a call to a dealer. The people at the TechLine are 'graded' by their supervisors and not returning a call is a BIG no-no.

My guess is that the Service Manager just hasn't made the call and is hoping you'll take your bike to another dealer. :roll:

·
Registered
65 Posts
The Navi display on my '06 started to act up. I showed my dealer's service manager the problem last Friday at about 2:00 p.m. He called me at 5:30 the SAME DAY to say that he'd talked to Honda and a new unit was on the way. Good dealers get things done for their customers.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
entrop said:
The Navi display on my '06 started to act up. I showed my dealer's service manager the problem last Friday at about 2:00 p.m. He called me at 5:30 the SAME DAY to say that he'd talked to Honda and a new unit was on the way. Good dealers get things done for their customers.
Your dealer must be an "ALIEN"... :lol:

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
If your present dealer treats you in the manner you described... I think a dealer change would be in order... and I would most certainly never spend another dime there....... and I would let the owner know...

cosmic

·
Registered
525 Posts
Problem is that Honda will pay for the replacement of the display and their contention is that diagnosis is included in the flat rate time.
This confirms something I suspected. Honda assumes the dealers tech's are supposed to know what they are doing and does not pay for the time spent looking at the bike while scratching themselves. This does explain the delays such as the rider with the idle problem. They don't know how to fix it. Cash service jobs are piling up, so they let it sit until they have some free time to get around to trying something else.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good replies

I have been a little suspect of the "Tech line has not returned our call" excuse. I also wonder if putting together of all the new 07 Suzukis and Hondas was pushed to the front of the line. Last week I saw a ton of crated Suzuki's there waiting to be put together. I'm sure Honda's are there now as well.

I have a 3 years service contract with them that I bought with my first bike that I transferred to the wing. Having a local dealer was one of the things I wanted when I bought the wing there. Now I wonder.

It does make that short trip down to Powersports in Chattanooga a more viable option in the future. Even though, I feel like this problem is something that I would have had to take to a dealer to fix anyway.

·
Registered
21,092 Posts
i agree with the others, sounds like your dealer really doesn't care about u and your bussiness, i would talk to the owner and if he doesn't get things moving PDQ its BYE BYE time

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update...

Update!

I just heard from my dealer. They said that Tech Line told them they could not authorize them to work on the bike since they now cannot duplicate the problem and that I will have to bring it in when it is doing it.

Well, when I first brought it in the end of August, it was doing it. It amazes me they kept my bike out of action more than two weeks to do nothing. I'm supposed to go on a group trip Saturday and that sure weakens my confidence.

Oh well, at least I have it back for now.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
entrop said:
You do have a great dealer, you are indeed very fortunate. It took 10 weeks for my dealer to remedy the nav problem I discovered after having the bike only one week. I called another local Honda dealer, no help either. I called Honda support line they wouldn't talk to me if I wasn't at a dealership. I e-mailed unsuccessfully then called Garmin who manufactures the nav for Honda and after an hour on hold I got some advice and a new data card overnighted. Honda tech support just plain stinks and some of their dealers aren't much better after the sale.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I wish I could get a GW. Ordered a black 06 nav on Aug24 $2000 down.
It will be shipped on the 28th and be at the shop on the 1st.

Now I was told it will be shipped on the 5th no wait today I was told it will be shipped today???????

What a bunch of bull - dealer states hands are tied and I have to wait for it to be delivered when ever it shows and they say there is no one to contact at the warehouse either.
I told them if I dont see it Friday I will get my $2000 back - I held up my end and they(honda) could not.

I hate having to vent also and I hope you get you GW taken care of>

Patrick

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Take your 2K and go buy a HD at least they will work on it when it is broke.

Honda dealerships leave a lot to be desired. I am fortunate...I have a very good dealership here in Florida.

·
Registered
19 Posts
wingman57 said:
Take your 2K and go buy a HD at least they will work on it when it is broke.

Honda dealerships leave a lot to be desired. I am fortunate...I have a very good dealership here in Florida.
I to have just purchased an 06 GW. I have had three problems with and have only had the bike for 2 weeks now. The issues I have had were very minor but, I have a good dealership here in Florida also. If I every run into the issues described her with my dealership, I guess I will have to cruise up to Fort Walton Beach and speak with Terry at the Honda dealership there. I have known Terry for some 8 years now and he is by far the best mech on any (not just GWs) bike I have ever seen. I don't use that dealership now or Terry for that matter as it is a 5 hour ride to get there.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Ask your dealer if he's gonna start making your'e payments since he has the bike more than you do Tim

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you could pull a fuse/breaker, you could at least ride your bike while the dealer waits for Honda to respond to their inquiry. I realize that the display shows more than GPS but could you use the bike with it disconnected from the battery/buss?

This discussion is helpful to me because it has caused me to look at bolt-on GPS units like the Garmin 376C as an alternative to factory. The problem is that I can't have ABS this way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts