GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we just logged 2946 GPS miles on the little lady and I am in love with that bike (that is 3038 wing miles). Even the cagers were behaving around us. The only clown was a trucker that for some ungodly reason changed lanes and missed me by a few feet. The turbulence was hell (he and I were alone on I-45). Speaking of hell do NOT ride across SC, Ga, Fla, Ala, Miss, La and specially Texas in the summer during a heat wave. The Wing wants to turn into a motel at 1PM.
I definitely want to thank you all for the good advice on the Belly Pan. Damn I am so glad it is under me. I hit it hard going into a gas station in Ga. And then in the Holiday Inn French Qrtr in NO, they have speed bumps in the garage that will scrape the pan as you cross it in slow motion. There was a few other times when I heard it touch concrete. THANKS!!!
The bike held up like a dream even when the temp gauge said 104. Engine temp needle didn’t even budge. Tires are a bit cupped even though I checked them every morning. Only had to add 2 pounds each on day 9. I rode mostly 2 lane roads but did hit the superslap a couple of times. Hit 105MPH passing a line of trucks in East Texas somewhere. Man does the Gold Wing have the POWER!
Only had ONE issue with the quality of the engineering and manufacture of the Gold Wing. You know the little cap that covers the drivers plug in to the audio? It’s held on by a little circle that goes around the wire. While riding along in Louisiana it broke off. The SO caught it! Lol. Going to have to glue it back on somehow.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Mr. Ed,

Nice review. And nice catch on your SO's part. However, if you'd want to replace that plug cap it's going to cost you $278.99. :22yikes:

Just kidding!

·
Registered
589 Posts
For easy access to replace that cable cap, one just removes the inner shelter to unplug the cable....

·
Registered
396 Posts
"I definitely want to thank you all for the good advice on the Belly Pan. Damn I am so glad it is under me. I hit it hard going into a gas station in Ga. And then in the Holiday Inn French Qrtr in NO, they have speed bumps in the garage that will scrape the pan as you cross it in slow motion. There was a few other times when I heard it touch concrete"

Mr. Ed, u no that belly pan is not a skid plate. It isn't meant to be weight supporting; only light protection against small debris. Also sounds like you made contact with it too many times. 2 hards, and a few others in 3,000 miles is a little much. You not running on a flat r u?

Was it hot?

...louie

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about replacing that cap. I've had mine do the same thing. Since I keep the lower helmet cord plugged in all the time, I just keep the cap stored in the left fairing pocket.

Ditto on belly pan. Mine paid for itself a couple times. Once was when it hit on a curb pulling into a motel parking lot a few years ago, and then last year when we were on the way home from a ride, I managed to hit a rock that blended in with the pavement. I didn't see it until just before I hit it. Tried to swerve around it, but was too late. Thank goodness for the belly pan. I heard what sounded like a very expensive "WHACK", but didn't see any parts or fluid on the road behind me. When I got home I checked it out and saw that the rock had hit the front portion of the pan that protected the oil filter, etc. Good thing, or it would have been expensive. I took a rubber mallet and whacked it back flat again and put it back on. Yep! It's a great thing to have.

Congrats on the new Wing. We knew you'd love it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Centramatics

Consider centramatic balancers...cupping will be reduced dramatically and have even been told that it can "fix" some cupping in about 300 miles.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"I definitely want to thank you all for the good advice on the Belly Pan. Damn I am so glad it is under me. I hit it hard going into a gas station in Ga. And then in the Holiday Inn French Qrtr in NO, they have speed bumps in the garage that will scrape the pan as you cross it in slow motion. There was a few other times when I heard it touch concrete"

Mr. Ed, u no that belly pan is not a skid plate. It isn't meant to be weight supporting; only light protection against small debris. Also sounds like you made contact with it too many times. 2 hards, and a few others in 3,000 miles is a little much. You not running on a flat r u?

Was it hot?

...louie
It was very very hot. Tires were full and the suspension on 25 but with the luggage and all I was pretty heavy. I only had one heavy contact. Got off and checked and nothing was hurt but a few scratches. The parking garage was impossible not to scrape I walked it across the bumps. That pan is a good thang!

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
You seem to be a canidate for at least a fork brace and heavier fork springs(TRAXXION) Centranatic balancers do work also

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
"Also sounds like you made contact with it too many times. 2 hards, and a few others in 3,000 miles is a little much. You not running on a flat r u?

I was thinking nobody showed him how to set the suspension for an increased load. You also have to use some discretion as far as what you try to traverse. In just shy of 40k I have only hit the bottom once.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I would much rather hear that scraping sound going on with my fifty buck belly pan than the bottom of my mucho buck engine and frame. I understand it's not a skid plate per se but it does a good enough job simply by merit of being there. I got a kick out of the OP's comment about POWER. It reminds me of the first time my SO asked me about what it was like to pass a semi truck. I just laughed and told her it happens so fast she will hardly notice it. She is now a true believer in that.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yes, very nice review. Always nice to hear from other Wing riders about their trips and get their perspectives.
Here's to many more in the future.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does seem like a fork brace and heavier fork springs are in the future. Just hate to throw away parts that aint broke.

As for the suspension pressure I maxed it out at 25. I am thinking I might have the dealer check and make sure it is working properly but that gas station was set to bottom out. There was a lot of scarring in the concrete from the cages. Plus the speed bump were aggresively high. They were made that all vehicles had to come to a near stop to cross them.

And thanks for all the nice comments. Ready to go again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts