GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always thought of motorcycle riding not as just a hobby or pastime or even as a sport but I consider it an "adventure" more than anything. This August will mark my 52nd. year as a legal rider and I am currently on my 20th motorcycle. Everybody has there reasons for indulging in the hobby ( or whatever you call it) and I believe they all are good ones. I know I hear all the time "it's the sense of freedom" or "I like the wind in my face" or countless others. For me starting out it was the only legal way of getting around when I was 14 years old without bumming rides with friends or family. When I got my first car at the age of 16, I still kept my motorcycle even though I didn't ride it as much. Over the years my tastes has changed form one form of motorcycling to another. I went through the motocross racing phase to enduros and even sport bikes. In my golden (that's a joke:joke:) years I have settled on large touring bikes as my go to form of expression. About 11 years ago as fulfillment of a life long bucket list item. I made a solo trip to the west coast camping all the way. It was on this trip that I came to the conclusion that the freedom that came from camping was an extension of the "motorcycle adventure". I have always told people that when you are on a motorcycle that you just don't see the scenery but you become part of it. Motorcycle camping adds even more to this experience. Rant over.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree completely! There is nothing I enjoy more than a motorcycle camping trip!! :lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Come on up to the north Georgia mountains for some really nice roads to ride.

You can camp at Two Wheels Resort of Suches, here:

http://twowheelsofsuches.com/

It used to be called Two Wheels Only under the previous owners. It's all fixed up now with nice camping grounds right on a creek and and also nice new cabins to rent as well. Also, nice shower facilities on site.

Great place to make your base camp!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Come on up to the north Georgia mountains for some really nice roads to ride.

You can camp at Two Wheels Resort of Suches, here:

http://twowheelsofsuches.com/

It used to be called Two Wheels Only under the previous owners. It's all fixed up now with nice camping grounds right on a creek and and also nice new cabins to rent as well. Also, nice shower facilities on site.

Great place to make your base camp!

I gotta agree. Lots of nice roads. State park near there (Delonaga GA) is where the App Trail starts. Try Wolf Pen Gap Road.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Are you a member of the IBMC.org International brotherhood of motorcycle campers... Lots of "semi" organized campout scheduled year round

·
Registered
924 Posts
I am with you on the camping.....I only motel it if it STUPID RAINING.

I was on my way through to Ontario and went the US route. I am an archer so I talked to some ppl in Wisconsin and they told me to stop in and shoot at their club.....had a blast. They even had a tent set for me when I came through (how great is that).

We did some partying that night and shot the next day...alot of fun.

me missing a nice shot ;)

All loaded up. Camping - fishing and archery gear....gotta be tough beating that.

Jer

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Capt Bob, I'm not much for camping, but the pic you posted is certainly an idyllic camping scene. Green grass, beautiful weather...

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I used to enjoy it more back when I could just pull over just about any open space for the night. Of course that was mostly what I could afford back then.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
excellent post and thanks for sharing,I agree camping just adds to the adventure. My only problem is deciding if I am going to sleep in my hammock at night or my tent. Usually the weather dictates which shelter I will use.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
More power to you guys and I love that you can enjoy it. However, I promised myself if I survived SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape) I would never rough camp another day in my life. Other than a few misguided attempts with my then new wife, I've managed to keep that promise.

My idea of roughing it is not having a refrigerator and microwave in the room. If it doesn't have a coffee pot, that's OK, I bring my own anyway.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
More power to you guys and I love that you can enjoy it. However, I promised myself if I survived SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape) I would never rough camp another day in my life. Other than a few misguided attempts with my then new wife, I've managed to keep that promise.

My idea of roughing it is not having a refrigerator and microwave in the room. If it doesn't have a coffee pot, that's OK, I bring my own anyway.
Hmm are you related to my wife????

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
I fall in the middle somewhere. I don't want to sleep on the ground anymore (I'm 57), but we like pulling the Timout camper into nice camping site. I even enjoyed the one night I spent on my "tent/cot" that fits pretty nicely on the back seat of the wing. I suspect any future campouts that don't involve the wife, I'll leave the trailer at home and take the tent/cot. If she's going, we're packing the camper.

I take turns camping with my grandkids with the Timeout as well. Again, this is not "rouging it", but at state parks and such. They get the feel of camping, we cook on the Coleman stove and roast marshmallows, and everyone has a grand time.[/QUOTE]

That's sounds about as perfect as you can get

·
Registered
332 Posts
Great post Capt Bob, I'm 64 years old and I enjoy MC camping. My motto is " It's all just part of the adventure." When you camp, what ever happens , you end up with a story to tell. I've traveled in my job for 35 years and spent hundreds of nights in hotels so when I'm touring on the bike, the idea of staying in a hotel makes me ill. I've had people tell me that if they have to sleep in a tent , they wouldn't go. My response is, I can stay anywhere if I get to go. Not like I'm gonna be there forever.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I enjoy motorcycles. :lol:

I enjoy camping. :p

I recently purchased a hammock (bucket list) and will give it a go in a few days. As I'll be with my older Scouts, the wing must stay in the stable...this time. :cry:

Looking forward to a trip through the Ozarks with my hammock in the near future, though! :thumbup:

- David

·
Banned
2,290 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I enjoy motorcycles. :lol:

I enjoy camping. :p

I recently purchased a hammock (bucket list) and will give it a go in a few days. As I'll be with my older Scouts, the wing must stay in the stable...this time. :cry:

Looking forward to a trip through the Ozarks with my hammock in the near future, though! :thumbup:

- David
I'm turning back on to hammocks and think they will feature significantly in my camping configurations. I'm looking to do a good bit more these next few years.

I did a lot of hammock sleeping way back in the 80s when I was spending some time in jungles. It was OK -- great to get off the ground, super easy to set up, reasonable to string a mosquito net, not super comfortable but made do.

My recent experience with a spiffy new Grand Trunk hammock was much more comfortable -- bigger hammock, better material, sleep slightly on a diagonal, use a ridgeline to get the right droop. The only negative suprise, related to not being in the jungle anymore, was how cold my back got. I laid my Thermarest in there and that took care of that.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
[QUOTE[QUOTECapt. Bob...that is a cool looking picture...wish I was their now

John ]

That pic was taken May 2nd or May 3rd and I was at Two Wheels of Suches in N. Georgia. I had great weather the whole time I was there and that place is great for motorcycle campers to stay. I am waiting for the overnight lows to get a little higher so I can ride out to southern Utah and north Arizona to do some camping.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I really enjoy camping, and even do a bit of back-packing as well . . .
However, my better half considers more than 10 steps to the hotel room to be "roughing it" . . . :joke:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts