GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bartman has provided a link to the pdf file with the templates on his server, just click on his "CLICK HERE" link below and print it out. Thanks Bartman! If for some reason you can't get the templates through the link, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll e-mail the pdf file to you.

CLICK HERE for Reggies template!

To ensure proper scaling of the templates, after downloading the file and after you click the print icon to print the file, a print screen will come up. On this screen under "page handling" there will be a "page scaling" drop down box, select "none" and then print.

Here's a link to the Kuryakyn P clamp you will need. http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=2072&str=1

While the foot wings I fabricated make the foot warmer vents more effective, I believe these wings will also keep the wind off your feet on Wings without the foot warmer vents. The Wings with foot warmer vents have some additional rubber around the back portion of the engine which blocks a little more wind. These foot wings send the air about 4 inches below the rider pegs.

I just got back from testing these foot wings at 80 on the speedometer at 52 degrees. I wore very thin mesh aqua shoes, no socks and I rolled up my pants legs. (You can imagine how that looked.) I traveled north in a 20 mph sidewind from the east. On the west side of the bike there was a minuscule to absolutely no wind on my foot. On the east side of the bike there was more wind on my foot from the side wind, but no bad. I opened and closed the foot vents during the ride. Obviously the foot vents were toasty, but with the vents closed, I could still feel some heat from the exhausts. I could have ridden all day at this temperature with or without the vents open. There is some air that hits above your ankle coming around the side of the engine.

Then I took off the foot wings and did the same trip, temperature was 54 degrees and 20 mph side wind with pants rolled up and aqua shoes with no socks. There was a lot of wind on my feet without the foot wings in comparison. And, a lot more wind above my ankles. I could have still ridden all day with the vents open, but not with them closed.

Oops, I should have put this on the tech board.

My Wing has the comfort package that includes the foot warmer vents, but when it is very cold, my feet still get cold without thick socks and those heat pads you place in your shoes. The vents do a pretty good job, but cold air was still present on my feet. Today I eliminated the cold air stream and improved the foot warmer vent effectiveness by fabricating foot Wings.

Those of you with the foot warmer vents know there are very few if any options for blocking the wind on your feet because most if not all will not fit if you have the foot warmer vents. So I decided to try an idea and it works marvilously. The foot warmers are more effective.

I thought this might be a modification others would like to farbricate, so I am posting the project. This fabrication will take a lot of cold air off of the feet for those who do not have the foot warmer vents.

I purchased Kuryakyn 7/8" to 1" P clamps, a small sheet of 3/16" thick Lexan and some chrome hardware at Ace Hardware.
Two inch long 5/16" hexhead button bolts (I bought chrome instead of using the bolts that came with the clamps)
Two 5/16" acorn nuts, the lock washers were included with the clamps
Two 5/16" nylon washers
Two #10-24 3/4" long hexhead button bolts
Two #10 nylon washers

I made a template that would work under the front engine guard, traced it to the Lexan and used a band saw to cut the Lexan Wings. I then sanded the edges. Before tracing the template and cutting the Lexan, I attached the template to the P clamp on the engine guard with rubber cement first and used a big piece of hard board that I placed on the ground next to the front tire. I then lifted the hard board to make sure my folded up highway pegs would scrape before the Lexan foot wing and they will...the hard board hit the bottom of the folded up begs with 1/2" clear on the foot wing.

Pic below - I put the clamp around the engine guard and smeared rubber cement on the Lexan Wing and the clamp face, let them dry a little, then pressed them together to mark my bottom 5/16" drill hole. The bottom part of the Lexan wing rested against the cowl, but I could move it out once the bolt was in as the top side was 1/8" from the cowl, just right. I marked where to drill the 5/16" hole.

Here's a pic of all the parts for the left side.

I bolted the Lexan wing to the clamp and positioned the foot wing so I had some cleanace from the guard and cowl. Then I tightened down the clamp. Now I marked the hole for the 3/16" drill hole for the #10 bolt. I disassembled the foot wing drilled the hole, mounted it to the clamp and tightened the 5/16" nut and then screwed in the #10 bolt. The last bolt holds the wing from moving left or right and gives the foot wing more support.

Here is the right side finished. The Lexan wing is tilted back toward the foot peg for smoother airflow off the wing and to access the lower cowl bolt without having to remove the foot wing. Both sides came out great for fit and finish. Total cost for the clamps, hardware and Lexan was $57.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Do you have a problem with them scraping in the twisties?

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Nice work....looks good

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have a problem with them scraping in the twisties?
No, I trimmed them back so that the folded up highway pegs hit first. If I didn't have the highway pegs, I would've had to trim them more.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
:yes1: Looks great, how about posting a full size template?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Nice job Hardway.
And yeah, how about a full size temp pic. Or maybe a pic with some measurements.
Thanks for posting, This is something most of us could use.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Very nice !!! :thumbup: Great presentation. Gotta have a set so I guess it's back to the garage...

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Now if you started to manufacture these...you would have to charge a $100 for them. This is why most of the farkles we put on our scooters cost so much. R&D.
Very nice though.

Shadow1

Hal

·
Registered
19,224 Posts
Nice job.

But sadly my 05 does not have the comfort package

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
UPDATE: I have been somewhat inundated with requests for the templates. I am working on a way to get these templates to everyone who has asked. I will try shooting a 100% pdf file so that I can e mail it, post it here or on a PM free to people. If this doesn't work, I'll simply mail copies of the templates for $1. I'll get back to you.
Hardway, I'm always willing to help, so cut me out a set of the wings, sent them to me and I'll help you make a PDF file. See how nice I am!?! :joke::lol:
I know .....:wrong:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Great job...nice design and very clean install!

Al

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Very nice... and not ugly like the other bolt on plastic wind deflectors

1 - 20 of 30 Posts