GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some may recall my idle issues. Recently I tore into it and replaced the air filter and coolant. I did a DCT clutch relearn and ECM relearn. Bike was down for a week during all of this. Fuel level was below half when I started my riding earlier in the week. Bike has run fine for several days until this afternoon….after a fill up.

I think I did something stupid and I will take the lumps if true.

Months ago I removed the plastic filler tube insert after many annoying spews. I know others on here have also. This is where I got the information to do it.

But I may have been overfilling my tank and I may have saturated my canister. I came out of the store and saw a puddle underneath the drip tubes. I first thought it was overflow from the coolant thinking I overfilled after the coolant change the other day. Nope. It is gas.

I got home, pushed the plastic tube back in the neck (glad I kept it), and siphoned off a couple of quarts of gas to get the level down below it and the dripping has since stopped.

Here are my questions. Did I probably saturate the canister? Is it ruined? Could that be causing my idle issues?

·
Registered
2019 Red/Black Tour DCT airbag
839 Posts
Some will say different but I doubt you've ruined the canister. I've done this a couple of times myself, especially in hot weather. But other than the puddle of gas and the resulting smell, there were no other issues. No error codes, no idling problems. I believe the saturated charcoal will dry out during the purge cycles after a bit of riding.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some will say different but I doubt you've ruined the canister. I've done this a couple of times myself, especially in hot weather. But other than the puddle of gas and the resulting smell, there were no other issues. No error codes, no idling problems. I believe the saturated charcoal will dry out during the purge cycles after a bit of riding.
Yea I was thinking that. But my concern is after this I got home and the idle issue happened and, in my crazy mind, I thought related. :)

·
Registered
3,269 Posts

I agree with above.....
You learn to not fill the tank so full when it spews all over the garage floor. :oops:

One way to keep the wife out of the garage though. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,244 Posts
Just an additional data point: I took out my plastic tube years ago. I regularly fill my DCT's tank to within a millimeter of the top. I never have an idling problem. I do hope your idling problem goes away, but at least on Goldey there seems to be no correlation between topping off the tank and idling issues.

Reactions: AussieChris

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
This, too, shall pass.
prs

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
Just an additional data point: I took out my plastic tube years ago. I regularly fill my DCT's tank to within a millimeter of the top. I never have an idling problem. I do hope your idling problem goes away, but at least on Goldey there seems to be no correlation between topping off the tank and idling issues.
Same.. (y)

·
Registered
911 Posts
When filling up soon as it starts to try to spew out the top the first time, I just feather the fuel trigger to the next dollar amount and call it good

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
You know that I (and many others I'm sure) have to thank you for getting back to us all about OVERFILLING our tanks.. Thai is a very good point, that many of us didn't realize, or have accidently done it....Looks like we all have to be more careful, when filling our love'd GWings... THANK YOU!

Ronnie
6/23/22

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I give up. I do not want to be annoying all of you with un-helpful posts. The only exception to any more about this will be IF the dealer figures it out and IF they fix it.

I drove to work this morning without any issues whatsoever. So whatever it is is not something I am going to be able to figure out. There are no troubleshooting steps in the service manual on this type of issue. I have an appointment next week for service on this. I have little confidence they will either identify the cause or even say they can duplicate it since it is now random for me too. It will cost me 1 hour labor even though under warranty (they charge 1 hour fee for diagnosis unless problem is found and is determined under warranty - then waived). Over last few years my local dealer has not had good GW techs and now they are down to only one guy. Which is why I had to wait 3 weeks for this appointment.

I will just plan on dropping it off, waiting possibly a few weeks to hear back, and expect a "nothing found" response. But I am a pessimistic person. :)

Cheers all!

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,244 Posts
Well, I give up. I do not want to be annoying all of you with un-helpful posts. The only exception to any more about this will be IF the dealer figures it out and IF they fix it.

I drove to work this morning without any issues whatsoever. So whatever it is is not something I am going to be able to figure out. There are no troubleshooting steps in the service manual on this type of issue. I have an appointment next week for service on this. I have little confidence they will either identify the cause or even say they can duplicate it since it is now random for me too. It will cost me 1 hour labor even though under warranty (they charge 1 hour fee for diagnosis unless problem is found and is determined under warranty - then waived). Over last few years my local dealer has not had good GW techs and now they are down to only one guy. Which is why I had to wait 3 weeks for this appointment.

I will just plan on dropping it off, waiting possibly a few weeks to hear back, and expect a "nothing found" response. But I am a pessimistic person. :)

Cheers all!
Neither this nor you are annoying. These intermittent problems are hell, or at least purgatory,to figure out. We all have them from time to time, and we're all grateful for whatever help we can get. Sometime just finding diferent ways to describe the problem can help point to a solution. Hang in there. We're watching with interest and sympathy.

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I don't get why you folks remove that plastic tube. It is there for a reason. Never an issue for me. I just insert the nozzle and put it on slow fill, cuts off and I am good to go. Works every time. Sometimes we cause our own problems. JMO.

Fred

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,244 Posts
I don't get why you folks remove that plastic tube. It is there for a reason. Never an issue for me. I just insert the nozzle and put it on slow fill, cuts off and I am good to go. Works every time. Sometimes we cause our own problems. JMO.

Fred
I took mine out because I have a nearly pathological hatred of stopping for gas and so try to squeeze every possible CC of fuel into my tank. With that tube in, pumping in more gas than Honda thinks I should inevitably leads to fuel geysers. With the tube out, those don't happen, and I'm happier.

·
Registered
2022 Blackwing Tour 6sp, Harley CVO Ultra - NW Chicago Burbs
222 Posts

Fred
LOL, that line of thinking would only be relevant IF overfilling was indeed proven to be the root cause of the issue. However, it is not. Like the others, I removed mine, and fill the tank to the neck every-single-time and have never ran into a single issue. So, if the plastic tube has a function other than making fueling a pain in the neck, it certainly has nothing whatsoever to do with engine idling or drivability performance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts