GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I buy one today, it will be my 4th new Goldwing as I have had a 1997, 2000 and 2012 and all were great bikes, but I know very little about the 'NEW' 2018 and up models, so I have a few concerns:

Is the NEW front end good or bad? ( I had a few BMW's with the Paralever front end and loved the design)

Is there room for a 6ft-5in, 32 inch inseam rider to be comfortable?

Does the slimmer and smaller fairing windscreen work as well as my 2012 GW?

Is the Audio system as good as my 2012 GW-Audio comfort model?

Is the DCT sorted out or better in 2019 than the earlier 2018? (My last Honda Auto was a brand new 1976 CB750A)

I would appreciate some opinions please!

I currently ride a new 2018 Indian:( Both Indian and Harley want my Business and are offering super deals right now)

I will report back when I return after visiting my Favorite Dealer in Springfield, Missouri, this morning.

Thanks! Sam :)

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Is the NEW front end good or bad? ( I had a few BMW's with the Paralever front end and loved the design) Good

Is there room for a 6ft-5in, 32 inch inseam rider to be comfortable? Maybe, you need to drive it

Does the slimmer and smaller fairing windscreen work as well as my 2012 GW? No

Is the Audio system as good as my 2012 GW-Audio comfort model? No

Is the DCT sorted out or better in 2019 than the earlier 2018? (My last Honda Auto was a brand new 1976 CB750A) The 18 & 19 DCT is identical

·
Registered
544 Posts
I don't own one, but I had the chance to demo ride two 2018's, both the manual and the DCT. I liked both bikes, but did not find them as different as I thought they would be from my 2016 ABS model Goldwing (very similar to your 2012 I would guess). Even on somewhat rough roads, I didn't find the front end that much different from what I was used to on my own bike, but maybe that's just me. As to the 85 pound weight decrease, I again did not find it as dramatic as Honda makes it out to be. And I agree that the windscreen is NOT as effective due to its smaller size, but I did really like the ability to adjust it's height while on the ride. So for me, I am sticking with my current ride. What I might end up doing a year or two down the road, is to consider the basic new Goldwing, similar to what was called the F6B in the past, to make it easier to swing my old leg over the seats and get on and off the bike, even if that means giving up the nice big trunk that I am now spoiled with. My alternative, increasingly attractive in my mind, is to just downsize to a sub-500 pound bike when the Goldwing starts to feel like too heavy a bike for me to comfortably handle at slow speed or when coming to a stop., something that at my age of almost 77 might be coming sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Don't own one but had a chance to demo ride a manual twice and a DCT once (at Wingding).

I'm 6'3", around 250lb, 32" inseam and I was quite comfortable on it. Of course, it was a fairly short ride(s) but I have to say I felt more comfortable on it than I was on my 2013 when I rode it for the first time (before "adjustments"). My wife was comfortable as a passenger, too. Unlike most others, I didn't find OEM seat to be that bad. Again, a short ride...

I liked them both...but really, really liked a DCT. It was shifting very smooth and precise, and I could override it (mostly downshift) any time I want. And the shift is quick. Really quick.

The suspension felt tight, in a positive way. Not sure everybody would like it but I did. Adjustable windshield was great even though two-up we rode mostly all the way up. But I can see riding it with lowered shield on solo rides.

No clue about stereo, didn't play with that.

Several other new features that were nice (slow forward/reverse, hill assist,...).

And a SPORT mode....wow. That mode completely transformed the bike into a switchbacks carver, an acceleration monster,... Like two bikes in one almost...

The weight - I thought it felt much lighter than my bike. Much lighter.

Again, just my opinion based on just demo rides. Your opinion might vary.

Can't justify getting one now, when I have my 2013 airbag loaded with everything I want and need, and with low miles, and half paid off. But I can see myself looking for a slightly used DCT a few years down the road...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Is the DCT sorted out or better in 2019 than the earlier 2018? (My last Honda Auto was a brand new 1976 CB750A)
Nothing to sort out. The DCT is AWESOME!! Guys who bought the 6-speed manual are happy with it, too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Really like mine especially the DCT, that’s one of the keys to me buying the bike, also the windshield. The options on the transmission modes is very nice also. The radio reception isn’t very good at all. Definitely need XM or your own music. The Apple Play I think is very nice. Many complain about the GPS, I really haven’t used it much. I think it’s more attractive than the older models. The seat wasn’t to good for me and my wife, we changed to the RDL, for the money spent we didn’t want the seat to hold us back on doing long rides, so made the switch. I would say I’m definitely happier with the 2019 model.
Once you ride one it’s pretty hard not to like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,671 Posts
I have done three test rides on new 2018’s.
The standard 6 speed works great but I would definitely prefer the 7 speed DCT
For me the 2018 + seems much easier to get on and off of !
It feels much lighter.
It handles great and does a much better job of absorbing bumps !
The seat and wind protection seemed fine but I haven’t ridden them far enough to really have an opinion about those things.
The reduced storage space and no outside helmet locks are concerning but I’m sure I could adapt to that, when I first switched from a 1500 to a 1800 the reduced storage space was concerning but I easily adapted and never had any significant issues.
The increased MPG on the new 2018+ is very attractive to me !
Lots of folks have said the new 2018+ is harder to put on the centerstand but I have tried it a few times and to me it seems easier.
i hope to own a 2018+ Someday !

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mick-O-Pegs make mine all day comfy. They are 2 position adjustable. I am 5'9" and have them in the rear position. Long legs would probably need forward position. 95 % of my riding is on the Mick's. Sharp curves I go to regular pegs. Seamless.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

I recently upgraded to a NOS 2018 DCT and there is no looking back. I had my 2008 level 4 for 10 years and 102000 miles. I loved that bike but I have a new love now. I am 6’ and 225 lb and have plenty of room without my knees hitting the fairing. As for the front suspension it is better with no more leaking fork seals to repair. As far as the wind protection not as good as the older models but not as bad as a naked bike. Stereo is good but rear speaker placement is horrible and the passenger can not hear the music while at speed. Not a big deal as my wife doesn’t like my music anyway and can Bluetooth her phone to her headset for her own music while riding. The DCT is the game changer though. I wouldn’t have another touring bike without it. Seamless shifting and all the power you would ever want. Sport mode makes it even better for spirited riding. The seat as stated is not that great but that can be easily solved in the aftermarket offerings. I will be choosing a RDL upgrade when the time comes. I love my new 2018 DCT and have no regrets on my decision to upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hello, I am 6' 1" with a 33" inseam. The bike fits me well. I did install a larger/wider windscreen to get better coverage side to side. It gave me more than enough top coverage. All in all the bike fits me well with plenty of leg room. Now I also have big feet, and that is one thing that took me a minute to get used to... kept tapping the back side of the cylinder cover with my toe until I got used to it. :)

·
Registered
923 Posts
If you have concerns you should test ride before you buy. I had no concerns when I bought my 2018. For every question you asked some will answer positive and some will answer it is the worst bike they has ever been made.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2018 GW DCT,(Not the tour model) Candy red metallic! $18,499 + $500 or so extras! Seems like a good deal to me considering my 2012 was over 20G.

The riding position and other ergonomics felt fine and even the seat felt good. Mirrors were positioned well and the rear suspension felt nice and soft, the way I like it. The front end was weird and as I squeezed the front brake and pushed forward, there was no compression at all---DUH :)

With no travel trunk, it was refreshing not to do the full Karate kick with my right leg to mount the beast and getting off was much easier also.

It did feel lighter and a bit smaller overall than my 2012, which is probably a good thing.

No time to ride today as it was 40 degrees, which is too cold for me and I'd forgot and left my helmet in my office.

The deal depends on what the dealer will give me for my trade:)

Thanks for your replies Folks!

Hello Vito:)

Sam

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
no outside helmet locks are concerning but I’m sure I could adapt to that,
There is an outside helmet lock on the left side of the rear seat. It is a bit of a PITA to use.

With the 2020 passenger grab rails and a short cable lock (like those that come with a new handgun) the helmet lock problem is solved. I just put my helmet on the seat and cover the seat with a rain cover. Out of sight, out of mind.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
I have done three test rides on new 2018’s.

i hope to own a 2018+ Someday !
Cycledude, if you're waiting to wear out your '02 Yallar you're never going to own a 2018+. ;) :)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Hello Porkie, I just checked to see what my dealer had for 18's in stock. 17500 for the brown, 17700 for the Matte silver and 17999 for the red. That is Troy City Garage in Upstate NY. Also that is the non tour model, does not state whether DCT or not.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts