GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 752 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you think modifying a Wing is like kicking a Holy Cow, you may want to change channels now.

I rode my partially complete project bike to a motorcycle function today and pictures started popping up on the internet 2 hours after I rolled into the parking lot. I was going to wait and post a build report (and still may if there is interest) but the cat's out of the bag.

So what do you think?

Z

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Illuminated trunk area...thanks to me, AutoZone and Electrical Connections.

That's with the lights off....

That's with the lights on...

Well isn't that just awesome?

Z

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Looks good!! I haven't used my Crampbuster since I got my Wing...LOL

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I needed some way to keep all them twisted wires (and it seems there are alot of them) from shorting out and "letting all the smoke out".

There is a Soundgate iPod interface and a CB under the "Rear Load Center".

Z

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And you got to have light...how the he11 is a fellow suppose to ride in the dark?

Two pair of FV-90s (FutureVision) HIDs...upper pair cast a horzontal beam...lower pair cast vertical beams...I can light up the reflective signs on the interstate in broad daylight but truthfully, they are more helpful after dark.

Z

·
Registered
272 Posts
Everything looks great! Looks like you could start your own accessory install shop. I wonder if oncoming traffic, at night, think a plane is coming toward them with all those lights. Lol!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your right...that thing in the middle isn't a light...that's the front half of an forward looking infared camera (FLIR). It helps me see things at night that you can't see without it. Generally speaking, you can see anything with a pulse and a whole lot more. I use it to spot deer and debris in the road at night...pretty silly, huh?

Z

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been known to pull a trailer....

It's a carbon-fiber Tailwind...lighter than the standard Tailwind and considerably stronger...but more on that later.

Z

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What good is a trailer without a hitch? I mean you got to have a means to drag it down the road.

Rivco hitch, 6-inch drop tongue with a ZBX trailer ball...

The chain "spreader bar" will keep the trailer's drawbar from dragging the road "if" a disconnect occured. The ball is built out of 17-4PH material (160-170ksi), taller/slimmer shank, one-piece construction, nylock and cross-drilled for cotter pin....in short, it provides more rotational clearance for coupler-type drawbars.

Mudflap goes between the fender and the hitch frame...when you pull the ball/6" drop tongue out of the receiver, the mudflap drops out....that way, I wouldn't be sporting a mudflap if the trailer weren't hooked to the bike. You've got it...seldom do I un-hook.

Falling asleep yet? There's still time.

Z

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
You have been busy. So what’s all that stuff in the boot?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Very Very nice Zackybilly1-oo7 Very stealth.... kinda :yes1::yes1::yes1::yes1::yes1:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right, again. Damn, ya'll are good...those are Vance & Hines "Monster" mufflers.

While at it, I slung a pair of Torq Loops up under and ditched the catalytic convertors.

Jury is still out on this mod...not terribly impressed...but I do love to tinker so...WTF?

Z

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So what’s all that stuff in the boot?
Please direct me to the boot of which you refer and I'll gladly answer your question best I can....hell, I'm on a roll.

I do have one or two more mods to post but don't want to move on until we get the boot thing worked out.

Z

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
Please direct me to the boot of which you refer and I'll gladly answer your question best I can....hell, I'm on a roll.

I do have one or two more mods to post but don't want to move on until we get the boot thing worked out.

Z
I'm guessing boot = trunk in New Zealand

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Very nice!!!!!!!!!

Looked like the weather at Stagecoach was great!!!!!!!!!! I am so jealous!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You're absolutely right, I did forget to cover how the electrons get to the trailer...my bad.

Normally people hole saw a hole in the under trunk trailer receptacle (a trick I picked up off Tom Finch & Co.) but far be it from me to be normal.

Tigged up two of these and epoxied them in place...allows the plug receptacle to be removed without removing the trunk panel...no back-up wrench required.

I'm trying to remember what that other plug is for...you have any idea.

Yes, they do appear in this "V&H" photo...seems to be some other foreign items under there too. I may have to go look at the bike and try to remember what all that is for.

Z

·
Registered
7,622 Posts

Z
Probably referring to the stuff that helps 'keep the smoke in the wires'.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
How about everything in the trunk. What is all that.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What was I thinking? Everyone knows you can't live without a suspension upgrade. This was my 4th personal Wing to recieve the full Traxxion suite.

Rear shock almost falls in by itself.

All Balls

Modified the left fork leg as required.

Prime and reassemble.

While at it, balanced the wheel and then installed Centramatics. Fork brace and rock gaurd.

Added some REG risers (run them on all my Wings) after torqueing the All Balls tapered neck bearings to 12 ft/lbs!!! What???

For me and my money, the Traxxion upgrade is at the top of the list on best mods.

Z

1 - 20 of 752 Posts