GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Portable Video Recorder with an on board 60 GB hard drive and built In LCD screen. I want to power it while I'm riding because it's gonna capture the ride video's from my mounted Panasonic DV Camcorder. I want to stream right to the PVR instead of using tape...

EDIT: NO I"M NOT GONNA WATCH THE LCD WHILE RIDING! Just in case someone reads this and thinks I want in-flight movies with my dangerous hobby.

Does anyone know where I can find a 12v Plug in adapter to get to the 5Volts, 2 amps that I need to power the PVR?

I've searched all over and can't seem to get into the right neighborhood on this damn web thing.

Thanks for your time and input,

Matt Caswell
www.thesabrehood.org

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Check with Lewis at EC, I'd be willing to bet he could hook you up (no pun intended). Otherwise how about a power inverter? I know you can pick one up at Wally World for less than $100.

Merry Christmas!
:xmas1:
BAT

·
Registered
624 Posts

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Virtually all manufacturers make 12v cigarette lighter adapters for their camcorders. Let me know the make and model and I can probably find one for you. I have tech support logins for most of the manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LarryM said:
Virtually all manufacturers make 12v cigarette lighter adapters for their camcorders. Let me know the make and model and I can probably find one for you. I have tech support logins for most of the manufacturers.
Larry,
It's the MediaSonic VR9400E (same as the Mustek 60GB Version) personal video Recorder. They actually call it a personal media center. I'm not picky about where it comes from.. it just has to be 5 Volts DC and over 2 amps.

Thanks for your help,
Matt

·
Registered
442 Posts
Just more information: The pictured USB-Car adapter powers the ETREX C and a few other hand-held GPS that require 2 AA batteries to operate. And you can get a mini-USB extension cable if needed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Matt,

Here is a solid state power supply that I use at work. It will accept a 9-18VDC input and provide a regulated 5VDC output at up to 3 amps. The vendor is Jameco Electronics: www.jameco.com

The Jameco part number is: 155715CG and the price is $34.95.

You can go on the manufacturer's website and get the pin out information for wiring purposes.

Hope that helps,

Randy

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
E8SGW said:
Matt,

Here is a solid state power supply that I use at work. It will accept a 9-18VDC input and provide a regulated 5VDC output at up to 3 amps. The vendor is Jameco Electronics: www.jameco.com

The Jameco part number is: 155715CG and the price is $34.95.

You can go on the manufacturer's website and get the pin out information for wiring purposes.

Hope that helps,

Randy
Thanks so much for the help!

matt

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Matt, sorry I didn't get back right away. Christmas made it tough to research.

I mistakenly assumed your recorder was from one of the major manufacturers. We don't deal with Mediasonic or Mustek because their products are usually factory service only, so I don't have any contact info for them. Hopefully one of the suggestions that others posted will work out for you.

Two things to watch out for. If the power input is a standard USB connector, you won't have any problems, but if it is a pin style, make sure the polarity is correct or you will damage the PVR. Also make sure that the adapter is rated at a higher amperage than what your recorder needs and if it is drastically higher, replace the fuse in the plug with a lower value that matches your recorder.

For pin style inputs, here is a generic that would probably work fine. It uses a switching power supply, which is the best for sensitive electronics. An Ipod adapter will probably work too since it uses the 5 volt USB line for charging.

http://www.powerstream.com/dc6.htm

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LarryM said:
Matt, sorry I didn't get back right away. Christmas made it tough to research.

I mistakenly assumed your recorder was from one of the major manufacturers. We don't deal with Mediasonic or Mustek because their products are usually factory service only, so I don't have any contact info for them. Hopefully one of the suggestions that others posted will work out for you.

Two things to watch out for. If the power input is a standard USB connector, you won't have any problems, but if it is a pin style, make sure the polarity is correct or you will damage the PVR. Also make sure that the adapter is rated at a higher amperage than what your recorder needs and if it is drastically higher, replace the fuse in the plug with a lower value that matches your recorder.

For pin style inputs, here is a generic that would probably work fine. It uses a switching power supply, which is the best for sensitive electronics. An Ipod adapter will probably work too since it uses the 5 volt USB line for charging.

http://www.powerstream.com/dc6.htm

Good luck.
Larry,
Thanks for taking the time to assist me. With your help and the great help of others I now have an idea of what I need.

You guys are great!
Matt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts