GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Garmin 2610 and want to attach a separate speaker for audio prompts so I can still enjoy my music through the bike's speakers. I tried a couple at Radio Shack but they weren't near loud enough even with the GPS volume all the way up. I need a very efficient speaker that will give me the volume I need to be heard over the stereo. Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Most of the ham radios are getting so small these days that the speakers are going external. Look for a Yaesu, Icom, or Kenwood external speaker. If you have a local ham store try there. If not Ham Radio Outlet (http://www.hro.com) or any other on-line ham radio seller will have them. You may need a powered speaker to get over the radio.

They will all be of reasonable quality and the audio is usually engineered for audio response in the speech hearing ranges. Another good speaker for clear speech audio is a motorola. That is what they use in police cars, service trucks, etc. The are butt ugly, but you can't beat the audio.

Another thought is to bluetooth the audio from the GPS to a headphone inside the helmet. That should get over the radio.

Take a look in ham radio equipment on eBay.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check out the ham store idea. Thanks! As to the bluetooth inside the helmet, I'm wearing a helf helmet so that's not an option.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I'm using a small marine speaker I got at a boating store for my 2610 - it works well. Only cost about $20 - plus of course it is water proof. I can't seem to find a link to show it to you but I'll keep looking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts