GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to Knoxville last month, my bike would not shut off no matter what I tried. Finally pulled the negative post off of the battery. Would not restart. The next day, I coasted down a hill and jump started. At Knoxville Honda, they replaced a starter relay and all was good. Put about 2k miles and it happened again. Another tech changed a starter and either a reverse or cruise relay. All was good for about 400 miles and again the same thing.

Symtoms are, when I shut down the the bike with either the key or the kill switch, the lights stay on and there is a loud squeal from the cowl area. The squeal sounds like a loose fan belt, but since it doesn't have one I know it's not that. When I turn the key or the kill switch back, the bike starts running.

Any ideas?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
I had a feeling that "B" starter relay wasn't the only thing causing your earlier problem. When you try to kill the motor, does it try to die and then restart almost instantly? If so, your "A" starter relay may be the culprit, but it wouldn't make that squeal sound. Pull out fuse #12 when the squeal is going and see if anything changes and then turn on the key with the fuse still out and see what it does.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
Lefty, I think the squeal is coming from one of your headlight adjusters. Start your bike, turn off the key, pull fuse #9 and see if the squeal stops. If it doesn't reach up under the fairing and unplug the adjusters on the back of the headlight assembles and see if that stops it.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got a call from the dealer. I said that they spoke to the regional guy and he said that since they couldn't duplicate me problem that the solution would be to change the wire harness. $2k.
BTW when the squealing occurs, the lights stay on but the engine is off. When the key is turned back on the engine runs.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
That sounds like a short in the fairing sub harness, not the main harness. Tell them to pull fuses #9 and #10 and see if the lights and engine still do it. If not, there's a short back feeding power into the kill switch and headlight circuits. Goodluck, I hope $2K fixes it.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dude, Have not had a chance to pull the fuses but a friend on mine suggested that my problem could be the starter solenoid. Is that possible?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
Lefty, it's possible that your "A" starter relay(solenoid) is intermittently bad, but that wouldn't account for the squealing noise you were hearing. There's 2 starter relays "A" and "B" and if "A" hangs up it will keep restarting the bike everytime you turn on the key. Is it still at the dealership?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I think the squealing could be it trying to run with the key off.

My TL did this once. It made odd noises when I shut the key off. Engine was still pulling air through the throttle bodies that were closed. Was a hissing. When I turned the key back on it would fire right up.

·
Vendor
21,890 Posts
The squeling sounds to me like it may be a chattering relay that is occurring due to a voltage being back fed through a circuit it isn't meant to take (sneak path). I suspect you have either a short or an open ground, possibly on one of the multi-connectors that Honda wraps up in the harness.

The only way I know of to fix a problem like this is to sit down with a meter and the wire diagrams and do some old fashioned troubleshooting. Its going to be impossible to try to "guess" what the problem is. You're going to have to follow a logical sequence and take measurements and do tests and try to narrow it down until you get to the root cause. It probably wouldn't be all that hard to do, but it is going to take someone who knows what they are doing and has some time to spend investigating it.

The shotgun approach is what most dealers like to take. It may fix it, but you'll usually end up replacing a lot of stuff that isn't broken. It seems silly to replace the entire wire harness just cause it has a single short or open in it somewhere. It would take much less time to properly troubleshoot it and fix it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi there.
My friend experienced similar symptoms on his IB 2002 last year.
Turned out to be a short in one of the headlight bulbs!!!:?
Both lights seemed to work but one of them was a bit dimmer than the other when examined closer! It fixed his problem and was cheap too.:thumbup:
Dunno about yours but i think its worth the shot before going in for a new harness,yes?

From the Land of Ice and Fire
Eagleman

·
Registered
878 Posts
OK, I'm going to throw out there what appears to me in my minds eye... Is it possible that the ignition switch itself is failing... Just because you turn the lock cylinder to the off position, is it not possible that the wiper blade that makes electrical contact is not turning its full required rotation... i.e. still making electrical contact internally... Seems to me this could be tested rather easily with an ohm meter at the switch wiring plug...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts