GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to keep one or more MSR fuel bottles in the bike. How big physically are the 33 oz. MSR fuel bottles. I need an overall height and a diameter measurement. I would like to see how they would fit in a saddlebag. If anyone is using them and can tell me that they fit in a saddle bag that would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I've got one of the 33 oz. bottles in my left saddlebag, held in place by the rubber bungy that holds the OEM toolkit in place. Been there for about 40k miles now and only had to use it for my BIL's HD. I'd have to go out and take it out to measure it, but it fits just fine.

·
Vendor
18,087 Posts
MSR stands for Mountain Safety Research corp. I've listed their web page below but they're not listing measurments for fuel tanks on it. If it helps to put your hands on one, I see MSR fuel cells at most outdoor shops like Sports Athority or Bass Pro Shops.

http://www.msrcorp.com/

·
Registered
761 Posts
MSR 33 oz is 3 1/8 diameter and 11 1/8 total height to top of stopper. I just measured mine. :)

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I purchased 2 REI 33 oz containers in July. Both fit in the rear of my saddlebags and stand upright easily (for the most part). On 2 trips (1 to Oklahoma City, and the other to Minot ND) this year, I ran into a problem that I never considered. In Missouri, while touring the backroads of Route 66, I wound up in No-wheres-ville with less than a quarter tank. Searching for 'civilization', I ran into some small towns and felt relieved until I found out that they had a power outage. They could not pump gas !!! Town, after Town, it was widespread !!! Finally, after some 38 miles, gas gauge on "E", and the light on, I found one.

Needless to say, I purchased TWO REI 33oz containers and feel I can outrun most (hopefully) Blackouts.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
n9frp said:
I purchased 2 REI 33 oz containers in July. Both fit in the rear of my saddlebags and stand upright easily (for the most part). On 2 trips (1 to Oklahoma City, and the other to Minot ND) this year, I ran into a problem that I never considered. In Missouri, while touring the backroads of Route 66, I wound up in No-wheres-ville with less than a quarter tank. Searching for 'civilization', I ran into some small towns and felt relieved until I found out that they had a power outage. They could not pump gas !!! Town, after Town, it was widespread !!! Finally, after some 38 miles, gas gauge on "E", and the light on, I found one.

Needless to say, I purchased TWO REI 33oz containers and feel I can outrun most (hopefully) Blackouts.
Hey Jerry, here's a trick to remember in a situation where the pumps are off. You can set a can or bottle on the ground and usually drop the hose down and drain some gas from it when you pull the trigger. Do that for several pumps and you will get enough to get you to a better place.
Don't ask! :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
340 Posts
n9frp said:
I purchased TWO REI 33oz containers and feel I can outrun most (hopefully) Blackouts.
That's 66 oz, about half a gallon, only about 20 miles. It's better than nothing but out west you can go for a LONG way between gas stations - even on the interstate.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I have been carrying 2 of the 33 oz bottles since early 2002. I found it very comforting when riding my VTX 1800. In 2005 I got my GW and have found that they sit very nicely in either saddlebag.

I have wrapped them with car wash towels and rubber bands. This keeps them from getting punctured or worn through. It is also a handy way to keep a couple "rags" with you.

I have still not needed them. I came close a couple times with other riders, but they made it to the next fuel stop.

I keep the gas fresh by dispensing into the fuel tank and then refilling the bottles. I do this every couple months, when I think of it. It's the cheapest insurance, because you never throw the gas away. You just have to buy the bottles.

As far as size, think of the size of a 1 liter bottle of drinking water. Hmm, how would the drinking water bottle hold up to the gasoline? Not something that I would necessarily want to do all of the time; but it would be good to know for an emergency.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I carry 2 of the bottles in my side bag, I was pushing it a little going to Texas and ran out of gas less that 1 mile from the gas station. Was glad to have them. After I put the 2 bottles in the Wing it started right up with no problem. Filled the 2 bottles back up and the bike with 6.75 gallons. You only need them once.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I use the big one. I removed my toolkit and used that strap for it. Works great. Then I tucked my tool kit in the very back under the light housings. Works great. I had a small one as well, but I gave it to Trialsman. If you want me to measure my big one I will.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I wrap mine in an old tube sock to insulate it from the summer heat and stuff it in the back of the saddebag in an upright position (where it usually stays put with all my other traveling gear). Word of caution: don't fill it up to the top; leave a little room for expansion. Some of the backpacking houses have a pour spout cap that retrofits most Sigg and MSR bottles. It helps with pouring more accurately without spilling (eliminates carrying a funnel).

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
My GF took an old denim jeans pant leg and sewed it down the middle length wise, then one end. I slip two bottles in there and carry it in my left saddlebag.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I suppose this things holdup well to the pressure that the gas develops after heat and shaking around. Not a problem when opened?? I mean it dosen't spew all over the place. Do they somehow neutralize the pressure??

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
steve s said:
I suppose this things holdup well to the pressure that the gas develops after heat and shaking around. Not a problem when opened?? I mean it dosen't spew all over the place. Do they somehow neutralize the pressure??
If you are getting a true fuel bottle from a camping supply....
It is definitely capable of handliing the altitude changes.
It has a small vent that is exposed as you remove the plug.

Just make sure that you hold the bottle upright when you are removing the plug. It has a very controlled release of pressure (or vacuum, if you go down in altitude). Remember that it is designed for campers and backpackers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey Guys:
I just got off the phone with one of the techs at the company that makes
MSR fuel bottles and asked him if it's O.K. to use these bottles for the purpose of storing extra gasoline in our bikes and he said sure, (a little piece of mind goes a long way). He said to only fill it to the fill line and no more, (to allow for expansion). They actually have camp stoves that use pump gas for fuel. He did say NEVER store alcohol in the bottle because it will corrode the Aluminum.
I also found an inexpensive source for the bottles at Dick's Sporting Goods.
Thanks for the tip about these bottles, I may buy 4 of them.
Don W.

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
On longer back road runs I carry two of 'em. Never had to use'm; but its good assurance. About 10 miles per bottle load.

prs

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I will buy two of them which should get me about 29 miles in an emergency. Thanks to your help I know I can get a 33 oz. bottle in each saddle bag.
Wayne

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
GL1800GSXR1000 said:
Thanks to your help I know I can get a 33 oz. bottle in each saddle bag.
Wayne
OH YEAH, EASILY! :lol:

Remember that 33 oz. is just a little larger than 1 qt. (32 oz.) and doesn't take up much room.

I find that 2 of the 33 oz. bottles fit nicely in my left saddlebag with my other "tool" stuff and a few extras.

You will certainly enjoy the reassurance that you are not totally out of fuel when the tank runs dry. I figure 10 miles per bottle and I know that I have another 20 miles of NOT pushing the bike.

MANY happy miles!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Been carrying two for about 4 years. Keep them stuffed in a spare pair of socks. Haven't needed the gas but did use the dry socks once.

There is a max fill like on the bottles. Don't think you get 33 oz. of fuel to that point but never measured it.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Has anyone tried to pour from these bottles into the tank on the GL1800??? How big a mess does it make? I'm thinking something that would screw into the bottle and take a short piece of hose would go a long way to making that more friendly...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts