GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm leaving for Key West in the morning and did my pre trip inspection...and what did I see, the wear bars shining on my Dunlops! :cry: It'll make this trip, but that's about it. I really can't complain...12,000+ fairly hard miles. But here's my delima... I would love to try the Avons, but I don't think they're gonna be available in the next 30-60 days (about all the longer I can go). I wouldn't mind the Metzelers, but have they gotten the wobble fixed yet?? Will they have "good" tires shipping in the next 30-60 days?? For those with the wobble, how long did it take to get good replacements?? I don't really wanna do the "put 'em on and see" method if I don't have to. I guess there's always the old standbys...Lops or Stones.

So..please...anyone (Hal?) with updated info on the Avons or Mets, let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
avons

I am on my second set of Lops, the first pair I had wobble but the second didn't. I didn't care for the way the stones felt in a corner and don't like the lops in the rain. My next will be Avons but I have the time to wait. I have 5K miles on the current Lops and figure they are good for another 2-3K so that should be about the time the Avons are out, with the winter season. I ride with two guys that have Avons on their FJR1300 and they really like them. First set has more than 6K on them and still good for another 2K, stones for them went 4K so big improvement.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Avons not available yet! Metzlers out of stock and no, the wobble is still there! :( At least with mine they are and getting worse with every mile. My Metz's were built in the middle of the summer, so they are the latest edition.

Wish I would have stayed with the Stones!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I put a metz. on the front, it wobbled from mile one. Never again! I purchased a set of Dunlops from Hal a couple weeks ago, no problem getting them. They're in the garage, waiting until I can't stand the Metz. anymore and yank it off. The problem is it has only 5000 miles on it, and I'm a cheap skate by nature and haven't yet been able to throw it away.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Have about 8,000 on my Metzler's. Love em.

·
Registered
21,091 Posts
Duane in Bakersfield said:
I put a metz. on the front, it wobbled from mile one. Never again! I purchased a set of Dunlops from Hal a couple weeks ago, no problem getting them. They're in the garage, waiting until I can't stand the Metz. anymore and yank it off. The problem is it has only 5000 miles on it, and I'm a cheap skate by nature and haven't yet been able to throw it away.
Don't know where you got your lousy Metzler from but am sure Metzler would be happy to replace it and pay for the installation charges. I have tried them all and on a 1800 the Metzlers are by far the smoothest IMO

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
cycledude......It would be nice if they would replace it/them. Too bad they don't have a front tire for the Wing anywhere to be found! :( I was told by Metzler that the tires I have were not in the troublesome bunch before I had them installed! WRONG!! I don't think they know which batch is bad and which "might" be good.

I'll be going back to Stones anyway!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Metzler is the best.

I have never found a better tire than the Metzler Marathon. The Dunlop’s on my new Wing scare me. Really poor handling, feels like I’m riding on ice at times. I’ve been riding for almost 40 years and used many brands of tires with many motors. I would say one needs to be careful what they attribute to the tire manufacturer and what might be attributed to other factors. All things being equal, the Metzler will give the most miles on a set of tires. I like the handling and although there are tires with softer rubber, the handling is not the same. My only bitch with Metzler is they don’t make a white wall to fit my RoadStar!

·
Registered
21,091 Posts
Red said:
cycledude......It would be nice if they would replace it/them. Too bad they don't have a front tire for the Wing anywhere to be found! :( I was told by Metzler that the tires I have were not in the troublesome bunch before I had them installed! WRONG!! I don't think they know which batch is bad and which "might" be good.

I'll be going back to Stones anyway!
Red, Interesting situation that before you mentioned it I had never thought about. Metzler must have someway to deal with this problem now, besides saying we should have a tire for you in a month or two! Also I clearly understand what you have been saying about the great handling Bridgstones, they do make the handling feel crisper-more responsive than the other brands. Sure am glad my I lucked out and got a good set of Metzlers on the first try. Like them Metzlers so well that I ordered another set on the turkey day sale.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I won a pair of Metzlers on Ebay last summer and had them mounted about 6000 miles ago. They ride great with no wobbles and handle as good as or better than the Stones.

·
Registered
9 Posts
:) The Avons go into production next week! I received an e-mail from an Avon Customer service rep in th UK today (I had inquired about the endless string of delays in the release of the Avons) He said that it will take about six weeks for them to start ariving at dealers in the States. I put a pair on order with Hal today!

I have Avon Venom R's on my Valkyrie and they are the best tire I've had to date. I have Metzlers on the wing now and have had them on the Valk' and haven't like them either time! They do wear longer, I just don't like the noise they make and their handling characteristics.

As for the wobble, make sure that you check out the section in the O/M about stearing stem bearing torque values. This should be checked by the dealer at each 8000mi interval. Mine is loose and is going in to be tightened/16,000mi check up this week if the weather permits. I have been told by a service rep that that is a common cause of front end wobble if tire inflation has been carefully watched and the front wheel is not damaged.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have 11,000 miles on the front Stone G709 and it still looks like new, Can't say the same for the rear it seems to wear pretty fast compared to the front. I ride hard and they handle good enough for me.
If you're in a bind and need tires, Bridgestone's aren't a bad choice.
I would agree that Metzeler has a bad reputation among the board members here. I will try Avon's on the next go around, but I have more time to wait than you.

I would get a set of Dunlop or Bridgestone and run them until the Avons were available and tested if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Yellowfever's got a point. I need tires for spring, but it's not just a question of whether the Avons are here by then.

I also would like to see what people's experience is with them over the entire life of the tire. What if they suck?

I guess I'll go with the Stones again. Other than quick wear I have no gripe with them. I guess quick wear goes with 109 lbs/ft of torque at the rear wheel and over 1000lbs riding weight. :wink:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Stones vs Lops

The bike came new with stones and after 6k the front tire had an enormous amount of cupping causing a lot of cornering road noise with vibration. I got 11k out of the stones. I am now on my second set of lops and they have been working very good. Got 14.5 k out of my first pair. I have been reliqously checking tire pressure before each ride and keep pressure a factory setpoint to a couple pounds above. And the lops cost less than all the others. I do not see why I should change unless the Avon reports are much better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts