GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying an MP3 for the Goldwing....... I am looking at a few: like the ipod nano 4 Gb...and the Creative Zen micro 8 GB...( I have borrowed my sons Creative micro 6 Gb and it works great )....So what do you use,,and how is it doing??? Let me have it !!!!!!!!!

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Who you calling a dudette? :shock:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have a 6GB Phillips GoGear. Works great, plus, it has a radio built in as well. You wont need tha radio part on the bike, but it's nice to have if you want to catch a ballgame at the campground or motel.

Dep

·
Registered
442 Posts
I use a Zen 6Gb it works great. My son had an Ipod and heard my Zen and gave the Ipod to his brother and bought a Zen.

G

·
I have the Zen and love the ease to load and the fact that it takes direct record from the CD's. has a voice recorder, an FM radio, the batteries seem to last forever, and it is as smal as a Bic lighter.
The only downside I've found with it is variable volume response when I run it thru the Wings system. On the computer the vol is even, but on the MP3 I often have to adjust for variations.
Sound reproduction is great.

Pat

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have a Sony mini disk player. The disks are the diameter of a silver dollar and hold 5 hours of music. It will run over 60 hours on one alkaline AA battery. You can download just like an MP3. You can remove and add music to the disk just like an MP3 or ipod. But if you want to buy more disks you can carry all the music you want. They just pop in and out. You can get them at Wally world or Ebay(just look under Sony MD player). They really work great. The entire unit is about 2/3 the size of a deck of playing cards. I really like mine. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Henry;

You could not drag me away from my iPod, 20Gb. I can place 7,500 Mp3's
on the drive, enough for a complete trip, and never hear a song more
than once.

Mine is hard wired to the bike for power, and I just place it in the left
pocket and forget it. If you go the iPod route, I suggest that you get the
Anapod from Redchair software. Much easier and user friendly than iTunes.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
PoleCat said:
Who you calling a dudette? :shock:
Hey, if the shoe fits... you might be Cinderella! :lol:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wk4bg8s said:
Henry;

You could not drag me away from my iPod, 20Gb. I can place 7,500 Mp3's
on the drive, enough for a complete trip, and never hear a song more
than once.

Mine is hard wired to the bike for power, and I just place it in the left
pocket and forget it. If you go the iPod route, I suggest that you get the
Anapod from Redchair software. Much easier and user friendly than iTunes.

Thanx Bruce...I will check out the Ipod.....My son uses napster and we also download from cd's...I will also look into this ANAPOD music download biz too.........thanx,,Henry

G

·
KA8ZYZ said:
I have a Sony mini disk player. The disks are the diameter of a silver dollar and hold 5 hours of music. It will run over 60 hours on one alkaline AA battery. You can download just like an MP3. You can remove and add music to the disk just like an MP3 or ipod. But if you want to buy more disks you can carry all the music you want. They just pop in and out. You can get them at Wally world or Ebay(just look under Sony MD player). They really work great. The entire unit is about 2/3 the size of a deck of playing cards. I really like mine. Just my two cents.
Hear... Hear....
:1st: :capwin: :clap2: :1st: :capwin: :clap2: :1st: :capwin: :clap2:

·
Registered
195 Posts
We have the Zen - goes 14 hours on a charge - plays like a dream - holds tons of that heavy metal and lots of that easy listening too.. :D

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I've tried severall. I've had the Zen, Sony Mini-Disk (two of them), iPod Nano and a 60GB video iPod. My favorite on the Wing has been the iPod. Since music is a big part of my rides I carry a Sony Mini-Disk with me for back up in case there is a problem with the iPod (never has been). Here has been my take on the units I've owned.

Sony Mini-Disk: I'm getting lazier in my old age and hate translating all my mp3's and mp4's to Sony's proprietary format. Additionally I have to change the disk out every gas stop. Carrying the extra disks is a hassle. The cases break and I've even had a case ripped off (keep them in the unlocked glovebox under the passenger's arms). The software for using the mini-disk player is somewhat of a hassle when setting up your playlists compared to other MP3 player software. The remote was cool to setup just below the ignition key area. I was also able to share the disks with my wife's mini-disk player on her ST1300. The mini-disk player was fine until I finally decided to move up to the more expensive MP3 players.

Creative Zen: Great unit, as good as the iPod except that iTunes has really done a good job integrating with the iPod, the Zen doesn't really have as smooth an integration with any music sites... no one really does except Apple. I gave this unit to my daughter after using it for about a month. Great alternative to the iPod and it does offer more features.

iPod 4GB Nano: Very small unit using solid state memory that works great. Unfortunately it only carries about 125 of our favortie tunes. We bought it for my wife's ST1300 as the vibration of the bike caused problems with the 60GB iPod's hard drive (caused it to totally lock-up where a reset wouldn't even work... had to drain the battery to get it working again). It is a perfect sized unit for the ST.

60GB Video iPod: Perfect for the GL. I've loaded every song we have (over 3500) and have only used around half the memory. Took a 2 week, 6,000 mile ride and never heard the same song twice. I installed a powerlet in the trunk, ran an 1/8" extension (6 ft) from the aux input to the trunk under the seat, bought the cigarrette lighter power adapter for the iPod, and bought a wireless remote that velcro's right below the ignition key. The best thing I like about the iPod is that it integrates nicely with iTunes for the music I buy online, and the CD's I own load without having to convert their format after I have them in MP3. The bad thing about iTunes is you can't convert their format to MP3 without first burning their songs to a CD, but they do load direct into the iPod.

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I use a Rio Chiba and a older Rio sport for last 4-5 yrs, both use Secure digital cards (up to 1GB) instead of hard drive. This was the way to go a few years back since the flash memory has no moving parts like the larger hard drive units, less to break etc. I know the Apple I pods are kind of proprietory in that you can't get music from any source and/or copy music from ipod to CD, mp3 etc. My little Rio's use 1 AAA battery that is good for ~10hrs, I bought both at Walmart and have connected via the aux outlet in glove box.
I like having 2 units so my wife can listen to her music and I can listen to mine while we ride.

Steve

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
daddysbike said:
I know the Apple I pods are kind of proprietory in that you can't get music from any source and/or copy music from ipod to CD, mp3 etc.
Steve
Uh... you can do all that, but you have to do it through your computer, not directly from the iPod itself. The iPod is just a player. You can load the music from any source, as long as it is done through their software. The only thing I have against iPod is Apples tendency to sit on their technology instead of advancing it. Other products end up ultimately leaving the Apple products sitting in the dust with their Macoholics.

·
Registered
107 Posts
iPod

Ipod 60 gig here. Uses all types of music format except protected Winders Media. Since I don't use windows I don't miss their protected music. Got 27,000 songs on the iPod, plus picutres and music. Never a skip, or a failure. Also use a 1 gig shuffle for short trips. Tried the rio and zen but they weren't as versitle nor did the aftermarket accessory guys have much support for them, either. The iPod format has been around a few years the others keep trying to get up to speed so the model you have now may or may not work as they upgrade their software to support their next iPod killer where iTunes supports all iPod models. You may save a couple dollars now but when you can't update your player with new songs you now have a very expensive paperweight. This is the exact scenerio that happened with my Jukebox 6000.

dMac

·
Registered
922 Posts
I use an mp3 device, 4 gig, more music than I can listen too. I think it is a much better and less expensive option than the cd player. The only problem I have is not being able to use it.....The only time I even get to listen to the radio is when I am ridding solo, which is very rare...But when I do use it it is great. I keep mine in the glove box and it will just play all the tracks, I think someone makes a mount so you can actually change functions ect... I do not need that distraction so I do not have one.

Overall I would say it is a minor expense that you can also use in your car, house , office ect...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts