GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is good luggage rack and driver backrest to new 1800 ? You can tell
experiences about those or what you have.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Utopia for the back rest................ Forget the luggage rack. Its not worth the effort IMHO

·
Registered
19,055 Posts
Do a search on the luggage rack-they seem to all stink. Pitting chrome, poor fitting ,holds 5lbs of stuff/big deal,can cause trunk surface to crack,detracks from wings good looks.......................

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Back rest if worth every penny and makes a big difference. Luggage rack is nothing but a pain in the a$$ every time you cleaning the top of the trunk. Last two wings had luggage rack's and I learned my lesson. The two we own now are luggage rack free!!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Got both Utopia back rest (love it) and Kuryakyn rack w/ bag... practical for carrying light stuff, no cracks yet although some users have reported cracks to their lids.

·
Registered
365 Posts
We have had a luggage rack on now for over 20,000 miles. We love the back roads and stay off the freeways as much as possible. No problem at all and it does help on long trips. Pack the bike cover, rain gear, some towels and a can of cleaner, freeing up much needed room elsewhere.

AS for backrest, for me, 5'8, 185#, just do not need one so far. Have done an IBA California 1000, and not a twinge in my back. But everone sits and rides differently. On the Harley, would never take a long trip without one, but for now, will hold off on the backrest.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Utopia back rest. No luggage rack for me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have the showcrome backrest. I like how it adjusts and is very comfortable for me. I had it trimmed down width wise because it caused my SO to be spread too wide and was uncomfortable. Bless her heart; she never said anything but one day I sat on the back seat just for fun and thought this is not cool. Found a local guy who does upholstery to trim it down about 2 inches on each side and it is now wonderful for both of us. I have a Kuryakyn Luggage Rack because I think they look the best. It functions quite well. Yes it’s a pain to clean around. It's nice to pack light bulky stuff on and free up the trunk/bags. As always, it's all about choice. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Utopia back rest... the only way to go in my opinion. No luggage rack... not because I beleive all the rumors of cracked trunk lids (I have yet to see or hear of one first hand), it is just that my trunk lid is hard enough to clean with the spoiler, a luggage rack would only make it worse.

Besides... who needs a luggage rack when I have a trailer or when no trailer, I have a rack that mounts in to my trailer hitch. It's all about personal preferrence...

Good Luck,

BAT

·
Registered
750 Posts
I've got the Utopia(love it) and the Honda tubular rack(it sucks.) The luggage rack is the ONLY thing that I'm sorry I put on my 02. Very poor quality chrome plus with too much weight you can screw up the trunk lid.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Utopia backrest for sure. This is the fist GL that I've had without a rack. I like the looks amd ease of cleaning . For the amount that one can carry on the 1800's truck top, it is not worth it. The only thing that I miss are the flagpoles.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
This is my 2nd Utopia back rest on so many bikes. They work GREAT and look OEM to boot. Doesn't get in the way of passenger like my former Markland backrest did on my former GL 1500. Adjustable up and down, forward or back and tilts as well. This was the best add on to date I have done. Simple video installation instructions are available at:
http://www.utpr.com/gl1800.html

Am not a fan of the luggage rack for the Wing, they don't hold much as far as weight goes, makes cleaning harder, and the possibility of cracking the trunk lid especially in cold weather when loaded. Too expensive to just hold a stuff animal IMHO.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The Utopia backrest without ?. It looks like OEM, is adjustable and soooo comfortable.
Kuryakyn luggage rack and luggage rack bag. It looks really nice. I had this rack and bag on my '03 wing and again on my '05 and love it. I don't know what all this "cracking lid" hoopla is, only read it here, never meet anybody in the real world thats had a problem with it. To make myself feel better, I ordered the star washers and placed the inside and outside the lid. You just put your light weight clothing/raingear etc. in the luggage rack bag to reduce weight on the lid.
Just for the heck of it to test capacity of luggage rack bag, I once loaded one of the saddlebags with clothing until it was full. I then was able to get all the clothes into the luggage rack bag effectively giving me another saddlebag's worth of space. I travel alone mostly and if needed can add a seatbag with luggage back and avoid adding a trailer/hitch.

Steve

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I really liked the Utopia on my 2002 but when the bike made a quick stop, :oops: against the wheel of a cage, the wife slid forward and it broke her pelvic bone. :cry: Broke the plastic seat foundation too. :roll:
She was in pain, using a walker, for about a month.
I'll be using a KhromeWorks adjustable backrest from now on because there is no metal bracket in that area that can hurt her.

Kuryakyn luggage rack works well for me. I did put oversized washers inside the lid to distribute the load and used the chromed Star washers on the outer surface, under the rack posts, as well.
DC

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I use a Utopia for the backrest, a Showchrome luggage rack with on the trunk, and a Bushtec cooler when not dragging the trailer. I have no complaints with any of the accessories, and none have been on for less than 50K miles.

Poor installation or overloading may cause trunks to crack, some may not like cutting the seat to put the backrest thru the cover, others have their likes and dislikes. But this fits Carol and my style and needs just fine.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I love my Utopia back rest, but if I were to do it again I wouldn't put a luggage rack on my wing. I don't feel comfortable using it, as the trunk lid is just too flimsy, to my liking. Next wing, no rack. If I can't fit everything in my bags and trunk, I have a bushtec hitch and Harbor freight trailer w/ sears car top carrier bolted on that I use for long trips (don't even know it's back there). Just my .02

1 - 18 of 18 Posts