GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all:

I have the factory D250s on the bike and they are ready to be replaced.

Personally, I never thought they had the greatest grip. I have a local dealer that has a set of Dunlop E3s and am considering them.

I mostly ride conservatively and would like opinions on getting the "allusive" E3s put on.

They also have Metzler 880s.

Any and all opinions are appreciated. I want a significant upgrade from the D250s (handling, traction, wet weather, tar strips), and don't know which to choose.

And if something else, please let me know.

Much thanks in advance.

·
Registered
824 Posts
That is a touchy subject as how tires feel is completely subjective to the rider... I had E3's and they were ok except I did slide a few times on tar snakes... I just put on Metz ( and hubby in on his 5th pair) and we have had no prob with them... good traction in all weather and wear well too...

Good luck with your decision.
Melissa

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
i have an E-3 on the front and a M-880 on the rear. No E-3's available when I bought this set. Very happy with both.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Oooooo. Nashville's not far. How much for a Metzeler rear tire?

Both tires are better than D250's. Both brands have had perceived quality control issues that have led to wobbling. I've run both successfully and prefer the Metzeler product.

Really though; ask them how much to ship a rear Metz to Atlanta.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I had the E-3's I thought they were great. I had the wobble at 40MPH but it wasn't a big deal. I am now running Bridgestone 851/850. I like them so far but I only have about 1500 miles on them so far.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
E3 and 880 both great tires. Try one this time and one the next. I replaced my 250 with E3, much better. The E3 looks like it will last ~10k, thats good for me riding hard in GA spring/summer weather. I'll try the 880 next and then decide which I like better.

Steve

·
Registered
373 Posts
I know the D250's never wobbled and the E3's do. It's not bad but nevertheless, it's there. I don't think any company has made a great tire for this bike and the vast range of dynamics make it tough for any two riders to agree on a great tire. I would love to get 10K miles and not have a wobble but that seems impossible for me. I weigh almost twice as much as some of the others on this board and that's got to account for something when we talk tires, air pressure, etc...

Scott

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I put on the E3's this spring, getting the E'3's is a crap shoot, some good ,some not. Mine are ok , no wobble YET ! They sing in the turns but other than that there ok. I've got about 5K on them this year........ :)

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've e-mailed Dunflop two times about cupping, first on the 250's then the E-3's. I was informed by a "standard form" e-mail that they don't have wear issues and I should take them to an authorized dealer for inspection. When I first put the E-3's on the difference in noise was nothing short of unbelievable. My SO and I could talk on the intercom without yelling. Within 2000 miles the cupping was so bad it was scary. I run my tires at 41 on both ends and don't ride aggressively. I check them with a gauge weekly and I have the Smartire system. I guess I'll try some Stones next time.

·
Registered
245 Posts
On my Honda Sabre, I replaced the stockers with the Metz's and let me tell you, the difference was incredible. Not just barely noticble, but incredible.

Since my wing is new, and has been triked, I have no experience with tire change outs as of yet.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'm on my second set of Bridgestone 704/709 tires. The first set gave me 16,000 miles. I stretched it a bit on the rear, but could have gone furthur on the front.

The front 'Stone is probably the best front tire out there for the GL1800. Never once has it slipped in the rain or on tar snakes.

And they're quiet too.

Bought them both from HDL this spring.

·
Registered
696 Posts
TIRES

AVON 180-70 -16 ON REAR AND 130-70-18 OM FRONT

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Depending on whether you have a short inseam or not, I believe you would like E3 tires with 70 series on both ends. Those of us around here will never go to anything else. I just changed a set Friday that had 23,000 real miles (24,500 Honda Miles) and could have gone to 25,000 real miles before the wear bars touched. Every one of those miles was pulling a Tailwind Trailer.

I have never had that kind of tire service on a motorcycle in my 54 years of riding.

The E3 70 series rear tire is the tire shown for a VTX or Valkyrie. It has a rated carying capacity about 80 pounds higher than the .60 series tire that is recommended. The engine turns 6.8% slower at any speed, and the speedometer is right on at 65 mph with the E3 .70 series.

If you have trouble reaching the ground, it may not be a good deal for you as the seat will be a little over half an inch higher.

You should run high pressure to get the best handling and lowest tire wear. I will not tell you what pressure you should run but I run 42 in the front and 44 in the rear with my E3 .70 series tires.

The Dunlop D250s that I had before lasted 15,000 miles, so the E3 .70 series tire is a major leap in tire life. It is also the best tire I have ridden on in irregular surfaces and grooved pavement.

Entering into hard twisties after several hundred miles on the super slab requires caution, as the tires wear to fit the use and after several hundred miles on the super slab, there is a flat area of the tread about 1.5 inches wide that requies the edge to be worn off before bending the turns hard.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Getting rid of the D-250's will make anything better. The replacements are what you like best and everyone has their own. Avons are probably the best but wear out the quickest. I've run Metz on my other bikes and like them. I never gave the E-3's a chance because after the D-250's I would not have a Dunlop. Whatever you get it will be a new bike compared to what Honda and Dunlop sold us to start with.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I'm putting Avons on mine with the 70 series on the rear. I'm using the 70 series because I like the taller profile and it makes my speedometer and odometer read and tally accurately (according to my GPS). I'm going with Avons because I love the way the set of Avon Venom R's I have on my VTX1800 Retro make it handle, the grip I get (especially in the rain & snow) and the way they have worn over the last year. I thought if these do for my Wing what the Venom R's did for my Retro, I'd be real happy. :D

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
starman said:
Hey all:

I have the factory D250s on the bike and they are ready to be replaced.

Personally, I never thought they had the greatest grip. I have a local dealer that has a set of Dunlop E3s and am considering them.

I mostly ride conservatively and would like opinions on getting the "allusive" E3s put on.

They also have Metzler 880s.

Any and all opinions are appreciated. I want a significant upgrade from the D250s (handling, traction, wet weather, tar strips), and don't know which to choose.

And if something else, please let me know.

Much thanks in advance.
Jeff - You have to think on the correct answer, but this should help. None of the above..... (and no, the answer doesn't have a "v" in it).

DaleC

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Buy both sets if you can. They may still be scarce next season. I ran a set of E3 for close to 20K and they were still not to the wear bars. They weren't round anymore either but they still rolled.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts