GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my first CT today, a Kumho. I had bought another rim that already had the tire with 2K on it from a trike conversion. I broke the nuts loose then layed the bike over on it' side, amazing how easy it is to lay down, I didn't have to help it much at all :shock:, then I installed the tire, it was a lot easier than I thought. Now was when the fun started, I have had to pick my bike up twice due to unscheduled lay overs and never had a problem picking it up but with the CT I couldn't get it up, the tire was already touching the concrete before I started picking it up so no movement. I had to call for back up to pick it up, did I miss something or have others experienced this also. :???:

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
I am going to guess it was the spot you chose to lay it down. Perhaps a high spot under your wheel. I righted mine up a couple of times without any issues. And, that's only standing on one leg. :shock:

·
Registered
750 Posts
How Do You Like It

Well srinehart how do you like it? I had been waiting on you to post since buying it last week to see. Hope you like it as much as I do.

·
Banned
226 Posts
The laws of physics, It was easy to lay it down. It was more difficult to get it back up. Maybe the 900+ poundage of the bike came into play. How much do you weigh in comparison to your bike ? Back up to the bike. Use your legs to do the work. Always remember when lifting, don't use your back. Use your legs to do the lifting. Its all about leverage.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Could be the spot you layed it down at, but more likely you had the rear preload set high which makes the tire sit closer to the ground when on its side. I've picked up a couple of wings with car tires, didn't notice a problem.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well srinehart how do you like it? I had been waiting on you to post since buying it last week to see. Hope you like it as much as I do.
Larry, As luck would have it just as I finished up the Heavens opened up and the bottom feel out, the tire only had 12 PSI in it, I put it at 36. Hopefully there will be sun tomorrow. Thanks again for the set up, I can't wait to try it out.

As for the pre load I had raised it all the way up to make getting to the Lug nuts easier, tried lowering it after it was on it's side, it showed it went down but I don't know how good that works on it's side. I did back up and put my butt in the seat and tried walking it up as I have done before but I couldn't move it and I was in my Garage, really flat.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
by any chance did you forget to but the center stand back up idid the first time i layed the bike over and it was a bitch to get it up until i relize what i was doing wrong.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Since I didn't lay mine down to change the tires, I can't help with your situation.

But I'll tell you one fun thing that you have to look forward to:

A friend, who doesn't have a backrest, sat on my bike last week to see how it felt. When he tipped the bike off of the side-stand to upright he exclaimed "Wow, why does you bike feel so light?!"

I told him that the big, flat CT just loves to stand the bike up! You'll notice it coming out of sweepers & twisties -- as you ease up on the counter-steering, she gracefully sits back up.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Could be the spot you layed it down at, but more likely you had the rear preload set high which makes the tire sit closer to the ground when on its side. I've picked up a couple of wings with car tires, didn't notice a problem.
:agree::thumbup:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
srinehart, I agree with rail32 and ssncob. I did the exact same thing you did. Only difference is that I had already changed the tire this way a few times so I was baffled as to why I couldn't pick it up. At the time I still hadn't figured it out, but after the fact and after thinking about it awhile, I came to the conclusion the suspension per-load was set on max.

My youngest son (big weight lifter) had the same problem. The day I couldn't lift it I waited until he got here to help figuring he'd snatch it right up...I had to help him.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the feed back and thanks Larry for the tire and rim, it had to be the pre load, lesson learned. Hopefully I can ride it today, I look forward to it. I was going to wait till after the Wing Ding to do it, but after reading about the Bridgestone talk I didn't want to put it off.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Time to hammer!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
870 Posts
I told him that the big, flat CT just loves to stand the bike up! You'll notice it coming out of sweepers & twisties -- as you ease up on the counter-steering, she gracefully sits back up.
That feeling is one thig I noticed right away when I went to the CT....:agree:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I took it out today for a short ride, to say it felt different is a understatement, the back end felt real smooth, soft feeling, then I noticed how quick it wanted to stand up coming out of a curve. At first I felt like I was pushing it into the curves, started thinking this might not be for me but that feeling quickly left after a couple more curves, I settled right in to it. I will still be gently for a while, don't want to get to cocky but so far I think the Dark Side will be a good fit. I appreciate all the different post by people on how good they are but you just have to get on it and experience it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Well I took it out today for a short ride, to say it felt different is a understatement, the back end felt real smooth, soft feeling, then I noticed how quick it wanted to stand up coming out of a curve. At first I felt like I was pushing it into the curves, started thinking this might not be for me but that feeling quickly left after a couple more curves, I settled right in to it. I will still be gently for a while, don't want to get to cocky but so far I think the Dark Side will be a good fit. I appreciate all the different post by people on how good they are but you just have to get on it and experience it. :thumbup:
It just keeps getting better......:congrats:

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
so get your number

:thumbup: So get with Murgie for your number.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts