GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, I'm not talking about my Gold Wing -- I'm talking about the snow. Maybe the unusual warm weather is doing it, but we just seem to be in a pattern of getting a big snow every week. This one is more traditional and is not the 36" of the week before Christmas and the 20" of the week before New Years, but I already have about 7-8" and it is supposed to snow the rest of the afternoon. It is getting where it is very difficult to find a place to put the snow around the house. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and in the 20s, but tonight will be in the single digits. And they are predicting another one at the end of next week.

White Christmas: Excellent! White New Years: Beautiful! White Easter: Okay! White Memorial Day: NO, NO, NO!!!! With this snow we'll have received just about 100" at my place -- I've been here for almost 20 years and have never seen this mmuch snow here.

Please note that I am not whining, I'm just bi#ching! I have a trip to Reno/Tahoe at the end of the month to hook up with friends from CA (can you say "more snow") or I'd shut things up and head on south to visit my friends in Florida (I'm planning to go at the end of February, but I might not be able to wait until then)!

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Well, if you're tired of it, we can swap homes. I'd much rather live where you live even with the 100" of snow.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rastoff said:
Well, if you're tired of it, we can swap homes. I'd much rather live where you live even with the 100" of snow.
Oh, I'm not about to give up my place, but it is different this year for sure!!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Minnesota used be known for cold and snow, still don't have any. The few inches we got last week left over from the Denver storm is gone already. We've got a number of ice fishing and other frozen lake events being canceled as there is a lack of ice this year (central and southern MN).

Really odd weather for sure, makes you wonder who's right? Global warming or natural climate cycling.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Send some my way! It isn't even cold enough here to make snow. I'm a four season kind of person and it looks like we're only going to have three this year.

Rick

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
78 degrees here today. Let me know when you get to Florida. I'm sure I could rally up a few for a lunch or dinner ride.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
David, all those mad made lakes really needed some heavy snow falls to fill them back up. Looks like Colorado will have lots of drinking water.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BlueWing said:
David, all those mad made lakes really needed some heavy snow falls to fill them back up. Looks like Colorado will have lots of drinking water.
Actually we've done pretty well over the past couple of years as our reservoirs in Colorado are finally back to normal. Most of these big snows, however, won't help a lot with the drought in the SW. These big snows have been mostly in the eastern part of the state, so most of this will be flowing to the east vs in the Colorado and to the west. This last storm was more typical, however, with snow falling across the state, including on the Continental Divide.

tomfranken said:
One of my few good timings seems to be bailing from Colorado to DC last summer. We do have a bit of rain today.
CO to DC -- I can't say that I think that's a good move for me. I lived and worked in MD for years and am so glad to be out of that traffic and too-many-people mess!!!! Hope they are treating you well there, however.

==========
I developed a good recovery plan for today, however. I just cleared the fresh snow from around the hot tub, put on a big pot of chilli to cook this afternoon, so I think I'll be able to put both to good use later today!!!!

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Just thought I'd add a tidbit:
DATELINE: Denver

Up here, in the " Mile-Hi City ", we just recovered from a historic event--- may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with a historic blizzard of up to 44" inches of snow and winds to 90 MPH that broke trees in half, knocked down utility poles, stranded hundreds of motorists in lethal snow banks, closed ALL roads, isolated scores of communities and cut power to 10's of thousands.

FYI:

George Bush did not come.

FEMA did nothing.

No one howled for the government.

No one blamed the government.

No one even uttered an expletive on TV.

Our Mayor did not blame Bush or anyone else.

Our Governor did not blame Bush or anyone else, either.

CNN, ABC, CBS, FOX or NBC did not visit - or report on this category 5 snowstorm.

Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.

No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House.

No one looted.

Nobody - I mean Nobody demanded the government do something.

Nobody expected the government to do anything, either.

No Larry King, No Shepard Smith, No Oprah, No Chris Mathews and No Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson.

No Sean Penn, No Barbra Striesand, No Hollywood types to be found.

Nope, we just melted the snow for water.

Sent out caravans of SUV's to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars.

The truck drivers pulled people out of snow banks and didn't ask for a penny.

Local restaurants made food and the police and fire departments delivered it to the snowbound families.

Families took in the stranded people - total strangers.

We fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Coleman lanterns.

We put on extra layers of clothes because up here it is "Work or Die".

We did not wait for some affirmative action government to get us out of a mess created by being immobilized by a welfare program that trades
votes for 'sittin at home' checks.

Even though a Category "5" blizzard of this scale has never fallen this early, we know it can happen and how to deal with it ourselves.

"In my many travels, I have noticed that once one gets north of about 48 degrees North Latitude, 90% of the world's social problems evaporate." It does seem that way, at least to me. Maybe SOME people will get the message. The world does Not owe you a living.
There are still real people in the world.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I am tired as well.

Not a "Drop" of snow this winter. We have broken records for no snow as far back as 1888. All of our ponds and lakes are ice free. Sat the temps are supposed to hit in the 70's .

Enough already!

Bulldog

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I heard some people in Colorado are selling snow on eBay.

Might try that if you run out of places to put the snow around your house.

:wink:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Dave -
I can certainly identify with you.
I started out for the office this morning, but the roads were already 2" deep and slick. So, since I had my laptop, I just turned around and went back home (set up on the kitchen island now).
First storm: 27"; second: 10"; third (today): nearing 6" and still snowing.
Not complaining (well, I guess I am), but I really didn't need 43" of snow in my yard. And this was just the day after I finally had my driveway cleared and a gap chopped through the iceberg at the end of the street (in case Mom Nature allowed warm enough temps to get the Wing out!).
Such is life in Colorado! But to those that live here, we know we won't trade it for anywhere else.
Final thought for you - with all that chili, you may not need to turn on the air on the hot tub.

Rastoff - great post. Hadn't seen that one before.

Livin' and lovin' in Lone Tree, CO.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Sorry Dave but it seems your taking one for the "Team"....... :yes1:
Everyone else in Minn. Wis. Mich. Ind. Ill. Ny. Oh. Penn. Wash. Would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much. Hey ! I'm smiling every day. I'm just loving this weather. It can stay like this til march then warm up......... :D :D

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I don't really mind this 3rd go around in 3 weeks...but my street was ALMOST dry enough to take out the 57 Chevy.....now Ill have to wait at least another week.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Rastoff'

You forgot one very important point on your very comprhensive list.
The Mayor did not call out the garbage trucks.
I was driving truck into Big D at the time, what a cluster @@##! :oops:

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Rastoff, Very good post. That just makes me want to move out west even more. Can you imagine all the BS that goes on around the Atlanta area with regards to the government? I have had enough.

Dave, Just remember my friend.... It all works in cycles. You just had to have planned alot of vacation during one of the "cycle" years. Yall really do need this snow. The western part of the U.S is too dry. I am afraid yall are going to burn away someday.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts