GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was the first time in my 37,000 miles on a 1800 that I believe ABS saved my bacon.

A Grand Marquis decide he wanted to start to make a left turn in front of me covering at least half of my lane. I was as heavy as I could be into both brakes and maneuvering the bike around his right frt bumper at the same time. The tires were squealling like a stuck pig, but I was able to lean/steer the bike around his bumper while having the brakes fully applied. I was doing approx 50mph and I'm convinced the ABS kept me from physical harm. I knew I was going to catch his bumper with the bike when he pulled out in front of me. :(

If I would have gotten into standard brakes that heavy I feel they would have just locked and I would have had a piece of his bumper. When something enters your lane out of nowhere it's hard not to lay into the binders for all they're worth. Panic braking you can practice. Panic situation thinking is a little tougher!

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
jeeez red

from what I've read lately, your lucky that did'nt happen in Ohio, you could have goten a ticket for failure to control you vehicle~~~~BWHAHAHAHAHAHA :D :D :D :D

glad to hear you and you bike are still in one piece. nothing like a cager cutting in front of you to get the 'ol blood pressure up 'eh :lol:

·
Registered
615 Posts
See Red , all that aggressive riding did prepare you for panic situations. Glad you made it out ok, good driving. Joy

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Yep I've heard the Mercury Gran Marguis referred to many times as "The weapon of choice" of the elderly. I guess they are little cheaper than a Lincoln or Caddilac so there are many out there. I not a bit surprised it was a Gran Marquis

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
ABS is not accident fool proof.

But I doubt that I would buy a wing without them. In fact any bike that I would buy in the future, would have ABS as long as it was offered by the manufacture.

Glad you ain't got no road rash on this one Red.

Bulldog

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
One of the dangers of living in Florida....

...but at least you're riding. Was in the teens here this morning but has warmed up into the 20s. Turkey in the oven. Ham on the grill. About 14 folks coming over this afternoon. Beautiful: Sunny and blue sky, with a light coating of fresh snow. Beautiful view from my dining room table of Pikes Peak. May even take a picture and post it later.

For now, I think I'll hit the hot tub (a pretty view, but not a pretty sight) before folks come over.

Again, Happy Turkey Day to all!!!!

:chicken: :eat1: :capwin:

·
Registered
23 Posts
ABS is for little girls

The people that think that are also the ones that lock in on THE GRILL and afterwards (if they are lucky) tell you how they HAD to lay it down to keep from being killed, as if there was some skill involved.

The ability to maintain steering control while fully on the brakes is the advantage of ABS on a bike or in a car. Practice and forethought is the what it takes to remember to steer rather than fixating on your selected point of impact.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Courtney in Seattle
02 GL1800A
89 Transalp

·
Registered
949 Posts
rickeyd -

Looks like you are a newcomer to the board since it shows you joined 24 Nov 2003. Welcome! I've been here since July 2001 but had to "rejoin" a couple days ago when I couldn't get into the new board format. Maybe that's the same for you. Regardless, here's my comments regarding your post that "ABS is for little girls".

You would do well to do a search on this board regarding this subject. It's been discussed more than once. Some, like you, doen't see the benefit. Many of us do because we have EXPERIENCED that benefit. There's a great axiom: "The man who has the experience is never at the mercy of the man who has the argument."

A few on this board had your opinion until they needed ABS and didn't have it. One gent is one of the most experienced, high-miles riders posting here. They now own ABS equipped Wings and have the scars to show what changed their minds.

I suggest you find an opportunity to ride and apply the brakes on an ABS equipped Wing. It's the best $1000 I've spent on mine and there have been many $1000s spent over and above the base bike price.

If you still think ABS is for little girls, your opinion is always welcome here. That's the beauty of this BB. Again, welcome to the board.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Since my incident with my non ABS bike I have done some testing.

I have found that a hard application of the rear brake and very little on the front brake provides the best controlled "fast" stops for me.

It seems the LBS on the bike works well when I apply the brakes in the manner mentioned above.

Testing works fine since you know you are hitting the brakes hard. In a split second decision things tend to happen differently. In my incident I muscled the handle bars to keep them straight with the front tire skidding.

I thought (wrongly ) I had enough speed scrubbed off that I could keep the bike up the last couple of feet by putting my foot down as the bars turned to the left and down we went. My left lower leg folded up and the bike skidded on the crash bars for 4 - 5 feet on the asphalt.

I picked the bike up myself. It will not restart till the key is cycled to the off position

If we meet in person do not mention this to my wife. She does NOT know the bike and I have been down. That male pride thing at work I guess

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Mike (Michigan) said:
rickeyd -

Looks like you are a newcomer to the board since it shows you joined 24 Nov 2003. Welcome!
Welcome to the board Mike... I see you joined on 26 Nov 2003... :D

When I went shopping for a bike in late '01 I looked at all marques and was thinking seriously of HD. However, due to the advanced engineering of the Wing, and because of an accident I had in the late '70s, the availability of ABS, I chose a Silver '02 Wing. I had to wait to get one with ABS but I knew it would be a decision I would never regret.

Everyone should ride what they want, but from personal experience I recommend getting ABS.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Bob - To say I'm a little embarrassed about the "date joined this board" would be an understatement. I finally opened my eyes and looked around. Dah.........everyone has a new joined date. :oops:

What's that rule preached by the MSF? Something about being aware of your surroundings??????

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Red, i have used my ABS too......

I was riding in the rain outside knoxville running about 60mph indicated when a little ol lady in a station wagon immediately swung in front of me in sudden lane change, i had to lock em up, no problem, i was pulling my new bushtec. I dropped from 60 to about 20 in a heartbeat.
JD

·
Registered
949 Posts
"Locking em up" on an ABS equipped Wing sure beats "had to lay it down", the common comment (excuse in my book) from those who "locked em up" and lost control when ABS may have saved them from hitting the tarmac.

There are a lot of obstacles out there waiting to pick us off. I want to ride another day. If ABS helps me increase the chances of accomplishing that, then I'm all for ABS.

Does ABS cause me to ride more aggressively? Nope! It just gives me an added margin of safety.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Well, I don't have to worry about my wife finding out the bike and I have been down.

Today a slow turn around to park the bike facing out from the parking space. I slowed too much , the bike leaned more than I wanted.

My wife knows to get her feet outta the way when it is obvious what is about to happen. Only physical injury was to my left leg (again) Strained muscles as I attempted a soft landing on the crash bars.

Some folks in the parking lot offered help. I picked the wing up myself, it is not that heavy when a fellow is pissed off at him self.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts