GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:excited:I called Ted at Honda of Sumter today and asked him to order my Champion Trike kit. He said it should be in by May 20th and built for me by May 25th. My wife and I are really excited. We have been thinking about it and planning for at least two years and finally decided to take the step. We had thought about my son helping me build it from the kit but decided that since we trust Honda of Sumter and they have always been great to us we would let them build it too. Ted Lowe, the General Manager there is one of a kind and is fantastic to work with. Anybody in this area thinking of getting a new Wing couldn't go wrong by going and talking to him. I guess I better take the old girl (bike not wife) out this weekend and ride on two wheels while I still have them. Thanks to all those here that helped us make up our minds.:lol:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Congrats.... now the fun wait begins.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Did you order the Champion solid axle or ILS? Just wondering which you chose. Have heard a lot of excitement about the ILS version. Which ever you select, I'm certain you'll wish you hadn't waited so long. By the way, I rode a Champion loaner for over 1,000 miles and was not disappointed with how it handled. Keep us posted on your impressions over the next few months.:congrats:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. You won't be sorry you switched to 3.

The wait is gonna seem soooo long, but it will be worth it.

Post pics when done, please.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
:excited:I called Ted at Honda of Sumter today and asked him to order my Champion Trike kit. He said it should be in by May 20th and built for me by May 25th. My wife and I are really excited. We have been thinking about it and planning for at least two years and finally decided to take the step. We had thought about my son helping me build it from the kit but decided that since we trust Honda of Sumter and they have always been great to us we would let them build it too. Ted Lowe, the General Manager there is one of a kind and is fantastic to work with. Anybody in this area thinking of getting a new Wing couldn't go wrong by going and talking to him. I guess I better take the old girl (bike not wife) out this weekend and ride on two wheels while I still have them. Thanks to all those here that helped us make up our minds.:lol:

Shumanrog, am I reading you right in that you are endorsing the work of an employe of a dealership when you haven't even received the finished product? What are you basing your endorsement on? Are you an employee, is he a relative? Most members of this forum have, or will, spend thousands of dollars on the purchase of their trike conversion kits. Please tell us that you are basing your recommendation on more than unfulfilled verbal promises. Once you've taken delivery of your Champion, and have put on a few miles, then get back to us.

I understand your excitement in getting a promised date of completion that is under two months but really, that in itself is no call for a recommendation. Many of us got shorter deliveries, some longer.

Congratulations on making your decision to go Champion.

Wayne

·
Registered
491 Posts
When looking for a trike, I contacted Ted at Honda of Sumter. When I placed my order, no deposit was required as he stated he would have no problem selling the trike if I changed my mind. Happened to go there one day and test rode one. It had a wobble at about 20mph. Told him of this and he stated he knew what the problem was and that mine would not have this issue. All accessories I pre-ordered were not charged an installation fee. This dealership was spot on with everything I was told. I went the opposite way in choosing Champion. I chose the installer first, the brand second. They have been a trike installer for just about all the manufacturers and finally settled on Champion and they have no regrets.
I do have first hand knowledge of this dealership and what they told me. I haven't had any issues with my Champion going on 2 1/2 years now.
Ride Safely,
Alex

PS: I did not mention they have very competitive prices!!

B

·
0 Posts
...We had thought about my son helping me build it from the kit but decided that since we trust Honda of Sumter and they have always been great to us we would let them build it too...
As Gomer Pyle used to say, :congrats::congrats::congrats: You are starting out on an experience of a lifetime.

As for DIY vs. dealer install: as much as I like doing things myself, and as much fun as I think building my own trike would be, having a professional, experienced installer gives you two things worth having. First, the confidence that the install is done right. Second - if he is worth his salt - he is responsible for anything that goes wrong.

Like you, I had a great installer - Honda of Maysville (KY) - and I never had an issue with my trike in the 3 years and 37,000 miles I had it. Like we always say here (I think George Lewis said it first) "installer, installer, installer."

Good luck and good riding.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shumanrog, am I reading you right in that you are endorsing the work of an employe of a dealership when you haven't even received the finished product? What are you basing your endorsement on? Are you an employee, is he a relative? Most members of this forum have, or will, spend thousands of dollars on the purchase of their trike conversion kits. Please tell us that you are basing your recommendation on more than unfulfilled verbal promises. Once you've taken delivery of your Champion, and have put on a few miles, then get back to us.

I understand your excitement in getting a promised date of completion that is under two months but really, that in itself is no call for a recommendation. Many of us got shorter deliveries, some longer.

Congratulations on making your decision to go Champion.

Wayne
Good question Wasaw, I originally bought my 05 Candy Black Cherry GL1800 from him new. I had wandered into Honda of Sumter when in Sumter SC on business and just wanted to look around. I met Ted that day (Ted Lowe is the General Manager). He was just a down to earth nice guy and treated me as if I was an old old friend. When I finally convinced my wife that we "needed" a Goldwing I took her back there and met with Ted. He was again as nice as could be and answered all our questions. He ordered my Goldwing that day and never asked for a penny as a deposit. When it came in he called me and we went and picked it up. Their service department and everybody I talked to there was like family. When we began looking at trikes we went back there and he gave me the keys to a brand new one on his lot and said "Here, take her out and see how ya'll like it. You may not like the trike so take it for a good ride and let me know what you think." We did give it a good ride and also several others he had built there. When we finally decided we had the finances and all together I called him and he remembered us even though it had been over a year since we had been back. I told him what we wanted and he said no problem, let me check and see when I can get the kit and I'll call you back. An hour later he called with the "out the door" price and dates he will get the kit and have my trike ready. He wouldn't let me pay anything up front. He just said you can pay for it when it is done. No he is not a relative and I don't own the business. He and the other employees I have delbt with there have allways treated me like family and I have had great service. That is what made up my mind and that is why I recommend this dealer. That is a lot more than I can say for some of the other dealerships I have been in and there are quite a few Honda Dealers closer than Sumter.

·
Registered
362 Posts
It's gonna be a great summer for you! Ride safe and enjoy it... :congrats:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts