GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a I-Pod . My questions is Do most of ya'll carry it in the left hand fairing pocket or move it to some where else. I just wondering with the summer heat wheather it might be to hot in the left hand fairing pocket, and the heat might damage it. Just wondering what those that listen to I-Pods do
thomas

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I leave mine in the left pocket hooked up to the aux plug. We were on a 10 day ride through 5 states in 90 deg + temps and had no problems with the Ipod. I think using a little common sense is a key issue. You can open the pocket once in a while to circulate some air. You could also insulate the pocket to help keep the heat from the radiator out.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Same as Captain. Later on I bought an IPOD interface system, but it locks up sometimes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My is always in the left pocket. Have had it there for four week to week and half long trips in the middle of summer with no problem.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
My is always in the left pocket. Have had it there for four week to week and half long trips in the middle of summer with no problem.
Same results I have found over the past 6 years!

I was a little worried about the heat generated in the fairing pockets due to thier location over the radiators, but my original iPod "classic" and now my iPod Touch are no worse for the wear.

The iPod Touch now resides in the rightside fairing where I routed the cable for my iPod to CD player interface.

·
Banned
1,912 Posts
Did the left pocket thing for a while even got a ijet so I could control it and skip songs
But the real answer is to get a soundgate or ipod interface. Mounts the ipod in the trunk and you can control trrcks/playlists from your cd control on the left handlebar

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I put things like cough drops and Lifesavers in the left pocket and they don't melt. So I doubt that a piece of electronics is going to be fazed by it.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Mine have been in the left pocket since the beginning (of the bike's) time. The only problem was with the early iPod, which would lock up every now and then.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I use the soundgate interface with the ipod sitting in the trunk. I tried the left glove box but found I could not skip songs very easily. With the interface that I have had for 2 years, no issues...I can change songs, tracks, groups, etc. Works like a charm...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Where do you get these interfaces that allow you to remotely control your ipod? What are the models, etc.?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Soundgate, and its kept in the trunk, when I kept it in the left pocket I would forget to turn it off a lot, so the next time I would ride it would be dead.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Soundgate, and its kept in the trunk, when I kept it in the left pocket I would forget to turn it off a lot, so the next time I would ride it would be dead.
One good thing as an added benefit is the Soundgate charges the IPod while it is running, keeping your tunes running allllllll day while riding.

As to where to get these interfaces....I found the following:

http://motorcycle-accessories.goldwingcountry.com/accessories/Soundgate

http://www.motorcycleworks.com/SoundGate-IPOD-INTERFACE-FOR-GL1800-detail.htm?productId=10884038

http://www.shopmotorcycledepotonline.com/SoundGate-IPOD-INTERFACE-FOR-GL1800-detail.htm?productId=10884038&catalogID=1801&shopBy=18159

There are more listed on the web page, so if you want to look, just goggle soundgate motorcycle.....and pick your poison...

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have the soundgate hookup in the trunk and I love the way it works. Keep in mind the larger ipods have a hard drive and a sensitive to shock and vibration and will lock up on you. The nano isnt a hard drive and this isnt an issue. The 16 gig nano is more than you will ever need. I have 2024 song on my nano and its is over 5days of continuous music, and there is plenty of room for lots more.

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
no heat issues in that pocket

1 - 20 of 21 Posts