GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I should go to the next station 5 miles away but decided that when the needle is covering the corner of the E, I should stop.

I wished womeone would do what I wanted to do, run it till it starts to starve and then fill it to the very brim. That would be what in aviation circles is called useable fuel.

Since the book says not to fill beyond the bottom of the neck, my assumption is that level is considered full and there should be 6.7 gallons useable from that point.

My usual profile with the trailer on and with the 60 series rear tire and pushing the speed limit up about 5 mph is:

Down to the full mark.....36 miles
The next mark down.......57 miles
Next Mark......................90 miles
Half tank........................120 miles
Next mark down..............150 miles
Next mark down..............180 miles
Red Light........................200 miles
Empty mark....................210 miles
Top corner of the E..........225 Miles

Of course, the real numbers are 4% less.

Now, for the last two days, I have a 70 series Avon Venom tire on and at 400 miles GPS, I am reading 396 on the odometer. This is far more palatable than the 417 it read before.

I led a ride today in windy misty weather, about 52 degrees temperatire.

We ran the speed limit minus 2 in the Texas Hill Country (337).

I left the trailer home, the first time this year. I had at least one stretch of 95 mph on the GPS reading 94 on the speedo coming back by myself. Not a good day for checking mileage, but I had 157 miles at half tank which is really 159 miles.

I believe this setup in warm windless weather will easily get over 300 real miles on a tank if the speed limit is not exceeded.

For what it is worth, the new 70 series Avon feels wonderful in the curves, but not good at high speed, especially with the trailer. It may get better, once the high crown is worn off, and a contact strip estabvlished.

Dunlop has just come out with a 206 Elite radial 70 series for the Valkyrie. It will likely have the stiffer sidewalls. I believe the wallowie feel of the Avon 70 series has to do with its limber sidewalls and very hgh crown. The high crown will disappear soon with normal highway use. Time will tell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Tom, great to see you!

Juts wanted to let you know I have max'd out the space on the Texelent bar with GPS, MP3 player, cell phone and cup holder. Any plans on making a double decker mount? **laughing**

Just kidding, Tom.

Keep up the great work and for my 2 cents you still make the BEST mounting system on the market!

Ride safe and when next I get to Texas I'll buy ya a cup of coffee!

Jim

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Double decker

As a matter of fact

·
Registered
8 Posts
Seek and you shall find.....ask, and dang if he doesn't have an answer! ehehehhehe

I should have known, Tom. Now I have to buy another "gadget" for the Wing.

Thanks. And I still owe you a cup of coffee!

Jim

Ride safe

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2 Feet. That is all I have.

I wonder how much fuel there was left. I have never heard of anyone that did what I wanted to do and that was to run the bike till it coughed, and then fill it to the very brim.

The reason is that filling the tank above the bottom of the neck is prohibited. I put in a couple of tenths or more after that. Is the 6.67 gallons to the bottom or the top of the neck?

I do not know what the fuel consumption is at idle, but that might be a way to find out how much fuel it holds, just run it low and park at a station with the engine idling and run it out. Of course the first sign of starvation is when the key should be shut off to avoid damage to the fuel pump.

·
Registered
17,125 Posts
Tom; GREAT report! I am getting more interested in going for a 70 series rear. Sounds like you are trying to wean 'er off the gas!

prs

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
70 series rear tire success?

Hi, Pigeon Roost!

Let me put a few hundred miles on the Avon 70 first. It did not start out feeling like a goodtire, but that may have been mostly due to the very high crown and super narrow contact strip as much as it was to the limber sidewalls. I now wished I had tried the 206 70 series Elite for the Valkyrie, but then I would not know about the Avon. I will say that the Avon is the best feeling tire in the sweepers I have ever had.

I have only tiptoed in the rain so far, on the Avon.

I had 14,500 on the OEM Dunlops and they were near the wear indicators, probably would have gone 16,000. At least 13,000 of that was with my old Tefco camper on the back. I pulled my big trailer at 105 last week, just before taking the Dunlops off. It was rock solid, but I was really going only 101 according to the GPS. Now, I would be going 107 and indicated 105 with the 70 series.

I was never challenged on my Blue 01 Wing and am challenged all the time with the Candy red wing. The eagles do not scream strong enough, but they keep trying just because I am pulling a 9 foot camper and I look like easy prey.

I have no idea how fast the Wing will pull that trailer, but it is very easy to top 100 going up a fairly steep hill.

I regularly get 18,000 on the back and 25,000 on the front of my 1500 and Escapade trailer rig using Dunlop Elite IIs. Also, those tires are good in the rain.

I have had no tire problems on the 1800 with Dunlop radials. They always balance and are round. I just do not like them or the Bridgestones in the rain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts