GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my extra rim and Alpin tire into Engleharts yesterday to have them mount the new tire. I told them it was a car and to their credit they did not have a problem with it. YEAH! The problem I have is they chaged me about $45.00, tax was extra. YIKES. I just have to watch Rail32 do it with tire spoons. I used to change semi truck tires.

They said they had to charge more because I did not buy the tire from them. Again YIKES. I paid it and did not grumble. I also did not ask ahead of time. MY bad.

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
Lots of folks claim Walmart does them for $10, just don't tell them it's for a motorcycle

·
Registered
830 Posts
My Walmart did it for free said they were not suppose to do it and did not want a paper trail. But really as long as a C/T lasts I would be happy to pay 45.00. I did try other shops before Walmart and all turned me down. Looked at me like I was crazy.

MIke

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I would look around if I were you, plenty of shops out there that can do it. Mine usually charges $20 per wheel.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Wally world did mine $5.90 plus tax. Told them it was a custom trailer wheel left side. He had only one issue, said he couldn't balance it because the center hole was too small and wouldn't fit the balancer. I told him no problem I had beads in tire . He was cool with that too and offered to put them in the new tire but I said just leave them in the old tire and I'll recovered them.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
The close to me Walmart stores; I would not let them change the air in my tires. My friend just closed his small 1 man tire store in Mesa. I guess I need to look around. He sold equipment and all .

·
Registered
168 Posts
$45 ?

What did you get besides getting the tire changed?

Did you get a new valve stem? Wheel balanced? Did they dispose the old tire for you?

Had they scratched or gouged your rim, would you expect them to honor a claim?

Just a few questions I have before I can decide if you were treated unfairly or price gouged?

Where does it play, where some folks think that they can take 3 strips of bacon, 2 eggs to a Diner and say, cook these for me and I will pay you $3 for your time, efforts and liability?

Why is it that we can't go to a professional ie. Dr, Dentist, Plumber, Electrician, Mason, Carpenter, Union Layman etc, and say, I know you normally get $100 an hour for your work, but I will provide the materials and am willing to pay you $20 for your time! For you Hard working Professionals, would this work for you?

Where does this entitlement come from? Motorcycles, Motorcycle Owners etc. are just ordinary "things" in life and not entitled to special considerations in life.

I shudder when my vehicles go into the shop and I am charged $120 an hour for labor. It makes no difference that they are paying the Tech $25 an hour as this is not the total "Cost" of getting the job done.

I do as much of my own work on my vehicles that I can. But when I am technically challenged, do not possess the correct tools and equipment, do not have the time or inclination to do the work myself, then I have no choice but to take it to the professionals and pay the tariff.

I am all about saving a buck that is hard to come by these days. But, if you want to play, you have to Pay. No way of getting around it. If you are a cheap person, you will feel as though you have been cheated through life. But when it comes to talking about ones own salary, benefits and future raises and entitlements, you will fight to the death to improve your lot. Where is the middle of the road, fairness when talking about both sides of the venture?

When we read on the Internet that I can get so and so done for $5 and we have to pay $20, we feel cheated. But are the Internet claims factual? Did we actually get cheated or are we paying fair market value?

Rape is illegal in all 50 States. Making a fair "Return on Investment", is just good business.

I see folks even on this board, that will shop the Internet for hours, just to save $2. Fair game, but my time is worth more than that. I deal with people just about everyday, trying to get one more little thing out of me, before they will commit to a purchase. Takes up my time, Toll Free Phone $ and works on my patience to where sometimes I just don't want to deal with it anymore! I chose this business and guess I have to deal with it till I close the doors.

Hal from HDL and I are going to collaborate and write a book about our experiences. We will change the names to protect the "Guilty".

It is always good to read on this board, good stories about where the deals are, where the Customer Service is exceptional etc. However this idea that we are entitled in life, I want to be cheap (there is amajor difference in being cheap vis a vis frugal) wears thin after awhile.

Back to the subject: If all you got was your (own) tire mounted, then $35 - $45 is a fair price. If you got more than a change, you got a good deal.

Find your best deal and go for it! I am all about that.

Bulldog

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
$45 ?

Did you get a new valve stem? Wheel balanced? Did they dispose the old tire for you?

Just a few questions I have before I can decide if you were treated unfairly or price gouged?

Where does it play, where some folks think that they can take 3 strips of bacon, 2 eggs to a Diner and say, cook these for me and I will pay you $3 for your time, efforts and liability?

Why is it that we can't go to a professional ie. Dr, Dentist, Plumber, Electrician, Mason, Carpenter, Union Layman etc, and say, I know you normally get $100 an hour for your work, but I will provide the materials and am willing to pay you $20 for your time! For you Hard working Professionals, would this work for you?

Where does this entitlement come from? Motorcycles, Motorcycle Owners etc. are just ordinary "things" in life and not entitled to special considerations in life.

I shudder when my vehicles go into the shop and I am charged $120 an hour for labor. It makes no difference that they are paying the Tech $25 an hour as this is not the total "Cost" of getting the job done.

I do as much of my own work on my vehicles that I can. But when I am technically challenged, do not possess the correct tools and equipment, do not have the time or inclination to do the work myself, then I have no choice but to take it to the professionals and pay the tariff.

I am all about saving a buck that is hard to come by these days. But, if you want to play, you have to Pay. No way of getting around it. If you are a cheap person, you will feel as though you have been cheated through life. But when it comes to talking about ones own salary, benefits and future raises and entitlements, you will fight to the death to improve your lot. Where is the middle of the road, fairness when talking about both sides of the venture?

When we read on the Internet that I can get so and so done for $5 and we have to pay $20, we feel cheated. But are the Internet claims factual? Did we actually get cheated or are we paying fair market value?

Rape is illegal in all 50 States. Making a fair "Return on Investment", is just good business.

I see folks even on this board, that will shop the Internet for hours, just to save $2. Fair game, but my time is worth more than that. I deal with people just about everyday, trying to get one more little thing out of me, before they will commit to a purchase. Takes up my time, Toll Free Phone $ and works on my patience to where sometimes I just don't want to deal with it anymore! I chose this business and guess I have to deal with it till I close the doors.

Hal from HDL and I are going to collaborate and write a book about our experiences. We will change the names to protect the "Guilty".

It is always good to read on this board, good stories about where the deals are, where the Customer Service is exceptional etc. However this idea that we are entitled in life, I want to be cheap (there is amajor difference in being cheap vis a vis frugal) wears thin after awhile.

Back to the subject: If all you got was your (own) tire mounted, then $35 - $45 is a fair price. If you got more than a change, you got a good deal.

Bulldog
When you get ready to write that book give me a shout.

Oh yea........dealing with the public. Well just grin, do not let it bother you, if you do you will never smile.

I have this stupid and uncouth employee. He wears a stupid orange hat and wears an old green coat. You really do have to watch that one, no telling what he will do. Yea that is a really uncouth and very bad employee.

We are still having fun with that, months later, beware of the employee in the orange hat.......Chuckle.

And the rest of the story.......well I have many in regards to the public. Like I need my sewer line replaced, but you cannot walk on the grass........Lol!

That may just be a money making thing, write a book about doing business with the public. :twisted:

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
$45 ?

Bulldog
I agree, Bulldog. Thanks for stating the "other side" so eloquently.

Since the wheel is already off the bike, $45 is a tad high; but not outrageous considering that he did not buy the tire from them. Makes a huge difference.

Orrin, you are correct that doing it yourself would be cheaper, but then of course you have to...hmmm...do it yourself.:lol:

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I don't go to Wally world because it's $5, that's just a plus. I go there because they'll do it without a hassle. Dealers won't touch a CT and some independent mom and pop shops give you a rash of crap to do it so I go to the path of least resistance. I also have same issue with yearly NY safety inspection. Dealers won't touch them and same deal with the independents. I now get my wing inspected buy a car tire place certified on NY motorcycle inspection with no issues. In fact the service tech thought running a CT made a lot of sense to him after I explained it to him.:shrug:

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
$45 for tire mounting is a little high compared to what other places charge( in my experience, in my area).
walmart is the least expensive, but they set their price- not me. Other places charge $20-30 -- around here. The biggest problem is finding someone to mount a CT. Mc dealers won't. Independent mc shops don't handle/stock/order CT. And the independent shop in my area won't mount a CT- I tried to give them some business- so that's their loss. I don't mind paying someone reasonable prices, but I do like for rates for comparable services to be comparable in price.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have had other shops usually charge $20 for mounting a tire. I was charged $15 extra because I did not buy I tire from them. They don't sell car tires. They are good guys and I never asked before hand what the charge would be. They had done it before for $20. This place is right across the street from where I work at a large auto dealership. We discount heavily to their employees as a lot of them do business with us and I hope they continue to. No harsh words were exchanged and everyone was friendly.

I will still go and do business with them, however I will be more cautious. All they did was mount the tire and they did a good job. I never expected this thread to draw this much attention or emotion.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Tire change

The local good guy here changes both tires, on the bike its $85, off the bike it is $45. Balanicing too. The shop is TFOG Motorsports which stands for "Two Fat Ole Guys".....Dave B.

·
Registered
325 Posts
$45.00

Is not bad as Bulldog said.Yes I have been doing most of my own tire changes because of what it cost.When I 1st got the 02 gl1800 the shops were charging a $100.00 to change these tires.Me being a wrench head ,I decided to do my own.Shops figured out better ways to do it and prices got better.When considering the cost of a good tire changer and balancer,and all the other tools in the shop,they have to be paid for as well.plus all the other cost such as taxes and SS.,insurance and the like that have to be paid just to keep the doors open for business ,and make a paycheck for the owner. $45.00 is not to bad.

·
Registered
976 Posts
$45 ?

Bulldog
Great post. Anyone who deals with the public gets a face full of cheapsters every day! Try selling cars for a living; I did it between jobs for a summer. :) and :-(

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
My Walmart did it for free said they were not suppose to do it and did not want a paper trail. But really as long as a C/T lasts I would be happy to pay 45.00. I did try other shops before Walmart and all turned me down. Looked at me like I was crazy.

MIke
if those other shops have never heard about using car tires on motorcycles, they must have their heads buried in the sand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts