GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife wanted to ride the bike to Murfresboro yesterday for a pig roast at a friends house. Looked at the weather and rain wasnt suppose to start until late afternoon. So.........off down the road we go on the bike. Great ride there and great pig roast. Couldn't get the wife started back home until it started raining. Then it kept getting worse. Stopped in Lebanon and spent the night because it was raining so hard I couldn't see. Left out this morning and finally just got home. I do believe, out of all the years I have been riding, the last 2.5 hours was the worse conditioons I have rode in for that long. It rained like there was no tomorrow. The ole Goldwing just purred right through all of it. I am impressed because I kept waiting on something electronic to crap out but it didn't. We had a good time but are happy to be home in the dry! :thumbup:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Glad you made it home safe Mr. Duck! Bet you're glad you had the Alpin PA3 on the back!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad you made it home safe Mr. Duck! Bet you're glad you had the Alpin PA3 on the back!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
The Alpin performed great, even where the water was draining across the interstate. However, a few cages hitting the standing water did cause me some concern! LOL

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I should have listened to the weather man instead of the wife!

But can the weather man cook?:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Glad you made it home safely!

We've ridden our Gold Wing in a LOT of rain, and it never misses a beat. It's a terrific all-weather road bike (well, except for frozen precip of course). My Garmin/XM satellite connection got water in it once after an all-day rain, so now I carry a small can of WD40 ("WD" means "water displacing") to get water out of an electrical connection.

The biggest problem we have is when my visor fogs up. Then cracking it open a little to clear the fogging lets rain get onto the inside of the visor, so the water drops get worse. Haven't found a solution to that one yet, and we have stopped when the visibility got too bad.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Several years ago I got caught in a sudden onset "frog-strangler". I did not have any place that I could stop; and I could just barely see the side of the road just by the front tire-could not see the road in front of the bike. I did not want to try to stop completely on the side of the road for fear of a cage hitting me. Fortunately, I was on a rural small highway/blacktop that had little traffic, and the hardest rain did not last too long. I did not know it could rain that hard!!

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Glas you made it back Ok, even though the trip got extended. I'm getting really put off on riding in real hard rain. Twice now - once on the 'wing and once in the cage - I've had a car come out of the rain at me totally out of control. On the 'wing I was saved by the heavy concrete medium between North and South bound I-75 (I did duck flying concrete, though). In the cage last spring I still can't figure how the pickup that came out of the downpour managed to spin around me and miss. I used to worry about my own vision and traction - now I worry more about the other guy. Glad I could stay home this past weekend!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts