GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm back from the East Coast Sturgis rally in Western Maryland. The total trip was 1100 miles - from Wed the 10th until Sat the 13th, I left 1 day early because of the rain forecast (smart move).
The trip down was on backroads out through Gettysburg and then past Hagerstown - I left at 9am and arrived at the rally around 5 pm (about 275 miles), perfect weather all the way. I met up with an Harley riding Army vet traveling from the Harrisburg area, basically hung out with him all weekend.
There was a lot of nudity as soon as we rode in - most of it not desirable, but everybody still looked. Our campsite was about 3/4 mile across 2 fields and over the hill to a secluded wooded area. This was the most off road riding I've ever done on the wing, but all went well. I was uncomfortable riding on the loose gravel and dirt, but my confidence grew. I saw some campers with $ 100,000 rigs and others sleeping in the woods with a blanket. This was primitive camping, no tables or fire rings. Many people trailered their bikes. At no time did anybody give me any crap about being on a Honda, I saw a hand full of wings there, but 99% of the bikes were Harleys. Some of the bikes belonged in a show room environment and others in the scrapyard.
On Thur I left the camp area by 8 am and hit the backroads of Western Maryland and into West Virginia (RT 9, 29, 51, 55) - another 300 mile day. We stopped at 2 different swimming holes and took a dip. Met locals that told us the best places to eat (pulled pork of course). The food vendors at the rally had everything you could think of, but kind of pricey ($8 for a sausage sandwich and $10 for chicken /rice)
They had 2 bands play every day, they started by 6 pm and lasted until about 11:30pm - the music was not bad. They had a huge log stage that sat on top of a hill and people hung out in a sloping field that made dancing a little challenging. Most people sat on hay bales and chairs. There was a mechanical bull that girls were riding - no tops of course.
The showers had hot water. They had an old single wide mobile home that was gutted and made into a shower - had 8 stalls and a changing area. It was good enough to wash the dust off. There was a female side also, no I don't know what it looked like, but I did see guys going in there also.
Every night around midnight, the engine wars would start. Somebody would start their bike up and rev it to the limit or until it would start breaking up, shut it down and then somebody across the field would do the same thing. I imagine a few engines got ruined. I might have had the quietest bike there.
I was up every morning by 6 am, early riser. It was entertaining walking the grounds and seeing the leftovers from the night before. People were sleeping every where - some were in lawn chairs with their helmets on. It got cold - mid 50's at night.
On Fri I was up and on the rode by 8 am - headed south on Rt 220 toward Seneca Rocks in West Virg, we came back North on Rt 219. Again we found swimming holes and hung out with locals. The only places I stop to swim is if I see a mini van or a family swimming. I figure if it's safe enough for kids, then I'll take a dip.
The fire dept is the only vendor authorized to sell beer - $2 a can, very reasonable. You could have a cooler or whatever you wanted to drink. A local bar sold 12 packs and cases, I saw lots of bikes hauling brewskies, they also sold ice at the grounds. The fire dept had a tent and tables set up and I hung out here in the evening - did some people watching, needless to say it was very interesting. It was a rough looking crowd, but not violent or aggressive and did I mention alot of nudity.
The surprising thing, there was not a single cop or security anywhere on the grounds. They had 2 sheriffs dept cars parked at the bottom of the hill coming in. I said something about this to I guy I met who comes every year and he said he's never seen any trouble. Everybody does their own thing and left the attitudes at home. I did see a bike accident every day, some serious for a helicopter evac.
Overall I had a good extended weekend, even though I left 1 day early to avoid the rain. I spent $40 for the 5 day ticket and another $75 on beer and food, (plus $3 for a hammock I found at a yard sale), total gas was about $75 also.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I was wondering what was going on. I left the DC area Thursday morning on my way to Louisville, and saw a lot of bikes headed that way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts