GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week or so ago, I commented on a thread and agreed the GL1800 did not have character/soul. After riding a couple thousand more kilometers on the bike, I take it back. The GL1800 does have character and soul - its own. What the GL1800 lacks are the annoying quirks or strange nuances that many other bikes have. The GL1800, despite its size, is an easy bike to ride. Like most Hondas, riding it is intuitiave - after 10 minutes (or less) you may think you've ridden the bike all your life. It is not top heavy, its acceleration is linear, it clutches well, it turns well and it holds a straight line despite the wind conditions. It is probably the most comfortable bike ever produced along with great weather protection. And it's not bad on hard packed gravel either. For a while I thought the bike was boring, then I realized that it wasn't the bike, it was the roads - same ones, too often. A different bike won't change that fact (although with a second bike, e.g., a dual sport or an adventure touring, I could spice up some of the roads I ride).

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I'm glad you're beginning to enjoy the bike for what it has to offer.

·
Crazy Northerner
8,622 Posts
Keep going and soon you will spice up those roads on wing.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I really love what the GL1800 offers; creamy-smooth accel and sport-tour handling, combined with touring equipment in a refined package. As I approach 40k (2 years with no long trips yet), I like it more every day! Only takes me about an hour off the bike after a long hot or frigid ride to feel like climbing aboard again. V-Twins have a special "feel" due to their engine cadence which is intoxicating to some, and I know what they feel.

Wing just has a different type of great personality :thumbup:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Come on down to the south east and ride the roads there! Glad you gave it a little time to get everything figured out!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
165 Posts
For a while I thought the bike was boring, then I realized that it wasn't the bike, it was the roads - same ones, too often. A different bike won't change that fact ...
I fully agree with you on this. I live very close to some great mountain/canyon/twisty/ocean roads. However, I've ridden these same roads over & over since 1975.

For a good while I was blaming the Goldwing for my boredom, since coming off three Sport-Tourers. I only chose the Goldwing for my, and my wife's, comfort. But I can see that the Goldwing is fine, it's just that I'm bored riding the same roads over and over.

I really can't appreciate the Wing unless I'm on some longer multi-day ride.

I need to seek therapy.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
:agree: with Gary. just a different personality, and ride. It isn't the same rumble but it has its perks. LOL

Glad you are enjoying the new ride.

Ride safe

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Good on you for discovering the real value in a motorcycle.

·
Registered
999 Posts
The Wing personality is that it's big, powerful, smooth, well-behaved, comfortable and reliable. Bascially everything that I'm looking for in a machine to support 2up trailer toting multiday long distance touring. For me, it is just about the perfect combination. Although the Wing is no slouch carvin it up, my C-14 fits the bill better for a solo twisty throttle/road bike.:thumbup:

·
Registered
429 Posts
When young you want a muscle car. Middle life approaches and you want a Corvette but buy a Cadillac CTSV instead. After driving it you feel bored, untill you challenge it. Then you might find that comfy, troublefree, mile eating ride can "run". Just like the Wing. And do it smothly, quietly, day after day. I had a DL650 a great all around bike. The wing is an all day bike.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Is now a good time to tell him about the transmission?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
wing

Perhaps the best thing about the wings personality is that it brings all of those "new" roads within easy reach.

Richard

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
. For a while I thought the bike was boring, then I realized that it wasn't the bike, it was the roads - same ones, too often. A different bike won't change that fact (although with a second bike, e.g., a dual sport or an adventure touring, I could spice up some of the roads I ride).
Inspired by Pashnit.com, I set out to ride every road in California. Then, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Utah, etc. I ended up on a Goldwing. It is the bike you migrate to if you like to ride and ride, and exploring new roads is the whole deal to me.

I have maps. Yellow highlighter is roads that must be ridden and red is roads that have been ridden. Also, when I bought the wing, I had several motorcycles. Now I only have one. After a while, the other ones were not being ridden.

I don't know what any of that has to do with soul or character, but I really enjoy my wing.

·
Registered
385 Posts
After our initial test ride on a GL1800 four weeks ago I had basically the same opinion as the OP that the bike was lacking in character or something. After a lot of reading and research, what really pushed us to the Gold Wing was the large numbers of them that I see on the road, many pulling trailers and most of them with very high mileage. Couple that with the large number of Honda dealers and it wasn't that tough of a decision especially with the promotion Honda is running on the left-over 2010's. Had the hot rod Yellow 2010 now for two weeks and it's turning out to be one of the best decisions we've made. What I thought was "character" was only vibration and engine racket which is easily gotten over.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
After our initial test ride on a GL1800 four weeks ago I had basically the same opinion as the OP that the bike was lacking in character or something. After a lot of reading and research, what really pushed us to the Gold Wing was the large numbers of them that I see on the road, many pulling trailers and most of them with very high mileage. Couple that with the large number of Honda dealers and it wasn't that tough of a decision especially with the promotion Honda is running on the left-over 2010's. Had the hot rod Yellow 2010 now for two weeks and it's turning out to be one of the best decisions we've made. What I thought was "character" was only vibration and engine racket which is easily gotten over.
:agree:

What we're talking here is quality. I've ridden every type of bike from a Sears 1950s scooter on up. Well, no sport bikes, but they hold no interest for me. I'll have to say, I'll take a Goldwing 7 days a week, maybe 8!:joke:

·
Registered
581 Posts
The wings "character" comes in the form of a trusted friend.
When you climb aboard with your SO, I don't worry that it is going to fail on me a thousand miles from home.
When I find a nice twisty road it will let me play, with passenger, enough to bring a big grin to my and the SO's face.
When droneing out the miles on the super slab, it gives a smooth powerfull, comfy ride and keeps us alert and entertained with the sound system.
The intercom allows us to share our experiences easily with out haveing to shout at each other. All though I don't have mic mutes and generally keep it turned off at higher speeds. A tap on my shoulder, or her leg lets us know the other has something to say.
I would say that the GW has "an old soul". One that has evolved from the GW 1000, continually defined and refined over the years into the fine machine we enjoy today.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts