GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running an Avon Venom R 70 series on the rear, Bridgestone G709 on the front. My wing has ABS and the bike performs great with that combo with no problems.

I got to test the ABS and tire combo yesterday morning. I was heading to work on the expressway following traffic at about 70-75 when the idiot in front of me decided to slam into the car in front of him.

Fortunately, I tend to follow the right rear tire of the car in front of me when I'm in the left lane of a two lane expressway, the left rear when in the right lane, this way I can scan the traffic situation ahead of me in both lanes. I was about two car lengths back (I know, kinda close).

Anyway, I had noticed the second car hit the brakes and I was anticipating that the car in front of me was going to brake also, but when I saw no brake lights after about 1-2 seconds I knew what was coming. I quickly checked the mirrors, saw there was traffic in the right lane and traffic behind me, pretty far back, so I quickly steered the bike towards the outside of my lane and clamped down on both brakes.

The bike stopped on a dime, straight as an arrow, not a sqeal, chirp or anything. It stopped so fast it looked like the car in front of me was accelerating away at a drag strip before he slammed square into the car in front of him. The parts that flew off the car came all the way back to where I had stopped. The traffic behind me noticed my brake lights, flashing LED spoiler and the fact I had moved over so they stopped in time as well.

Talk about pucker factor!! I could not tell what the driver was doing when he or she slammed into the other car because the windows were tinted. I did not stick around to find out since other drivers had already gotten out of their cars to check on them. I was still kinda sitting on the bike in awe that everything had happened so fast, yet it felt like slow motion as it happened. Once I snapped out of it, I continued on.

I'm off to work now so I guess I will be waiting for the next wake up call ....

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Good thing you were looking when this scenario began to unfold. Had you been reading a billboard or making eyes at the cute chick in the next lane the outcome could have been even more exhilarating.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PoleCat said:
Good thing you were looking when this scenario began to unfold. Had you been reading a billboard or making eyes at the cute chick in the next lane the outcome could have been even more exhilarating.
That's the first thing I thought of. If I had not been scanning the traffic, who knows what would have happened.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Gotta love that ABS! Nicely done.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Here I go again....

Somewhere in this incident, I suspect a cell phone to have been involved.....
Glad that you are:
A) okay
B) such a skilled rider that you could make such a correction
C) happy with your ABS

·
Registered
911 Posts
Glad you're ok and that the ABS worked like it should...and as Polecat pointed out....safe driving needs our FULL attention...ride safe...

Scott

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
good to hear how well everything worked, i wish they would have made ABS standard equipment on the wing in 2001

very few wings with ABS around here so its tuff to get a decent deal on one, my next one will have ABS

·
Registered
630 Posts
Rolling_Thunder said:
If you have to use your ABS only "1" time its paid for itself!!!!!!!!!
I agree completely. Glad you're safe.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Thanks for another reminder of the importance to pay attention to what's going on around us - especially in front of us! Things can go south in a heartbeat!

Thank God you're okay!

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
Glad you made it okay. :drive1:

If you didn't hear the tires chirp, I doubt the ABS was engaged! The tires play a beautiful song when the ABS kicks in. :)

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
ok first great job on watching the road

2nd how do you know the abs kicked in?if you are a good rider maybe you just did a wonderful job on the brakes?

again great job i bet your better than you think!!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Red said:
If you didn't hear the tires chirp, I doubt the ABS was engaged! The tires play a beautiful song when the ABS kicks in. :)
That song may not have been heard above the sound of squealing brakes and crunching metal and glass directly ahead.

IMHO, his story demonstrates that the best defense is neither ABS or a "fine job of braking", but keeping your eyes open.

D

·
0 Posts
ABS, or good road awareness?

I'm glad the ABS worked well for you, preventing any lock up. But, I'd say that it was your road reading skills, and awareness, that saved your bacon.

You were paying attention, were able to "see what was coming," and had predetermined where in the lane you ride to provide the best chances for escape routes for just this sort of thing.

GOOD FOR YOU! David Hough would be proud. All the ABS did (and it was plenty!) was to keep you adrenaline soaked muscles from that first .05 of a second's brake application from locking things up.

Anyway, congrats on the good preplanning, and road survival skills.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Red said:
Glad you made it okay. :drive1:

I honestly could not say if the tires chirped or not. I kinda expected to hear something. I had the radio on and I wear a flip up so all remember hearing is music, the sound of the impact and instantly the sound of metal and plastic hitting the road.

I was fixated on keeping the bike straight because there was a concrete barrier to my left where they are widening the road and I did not want to drift into it. Once I lined up with the outer stripe of the road the bike stopped straight in the direction I was facing when I hit the brakes. I did not have to struggle with the handlebars or get any movement from the bike other than just stopping straight. I do remember actually keeping my eyes focused on the back of the car and edge of the road and hoping I was going to stop in time.

Another piece of luck was that the car behind me was far enough back that he was able to stop in time. If he had only been one or two car lengths back at that speed, with traffic in the right lane, he might have plowed into me attemting to stop.

So, who knows? I think three things helped me out:
Alertness. Equipment. Luck.

I can take care of the first two, let's hope the third one kicks in again next time ....

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
ABS...wish I could have gotten it on my GW...but didn't want the rest that came with it...

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Congrats on the safe stop. Not to take away from your exploit, but the key for super safe riding is a large heaped up portion of "Time and Space". I tend to travel with a larger gap than 2 car lengths at almost any speed and try not to get into the "pucker zone". I think even the 2 second rule is a little tight.

Glad you made it OK though.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
2 second rule?

I like 3 seconds. :D Tuff to get the space, sometimes.

When out in the open, I set my own pace. I try to stay far, far away from the vehicle in front of me. It's not just that they may be stopping; it's the stuff that they run over, pass over, kick up and toss out the window.

Safe riding to all.
8)

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I have the ABS too and Love IT! I've not had to use it yet but i try to Keep The Distance To Three Second Intervals! Glad you made it, Such a Nice Bike to mess up!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts