GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I developed a slight shimmy,never had one before.I have less than 8,000 miles on these tires.I pulled the rear wheel.Elite III.I measured the depth of the sipes closest to the center of the tire and found .079 thousands deep in one spot and .225 thousands on the opposite side.(I know its redundent,but it makes it clearer for people who are not used to dealing in thousands)This means that the tire is thicker on one side than it is on the opposite side by approximately 9/64ths of an inch,or .146 thousands This is substantial in my opinion and combined with the cupping, the probably cause of the problem.The center portion of the tire is raised along a cupped irregular line.I checked the balance and it was slightly out of balance due to the high side of the tire.This condition is very apparent when spinning the tire on the center stand.The tire spins true left to right.I checked my steering head bearing torque and it was on the money. At least in my case I believe it is solely the condition of the tire that is causing this problem.I rebalanced the tire and have contacted Hal about the tire.I also sent an Email to Dunlop,but I am sure they will tell me to contact the tire retailer....Will let you know what happens...........Jim PS I mount and balance my own tires and am very fussy about getting it a perfect as I can. I hope this helps someone

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
It may help MH more than anyone else. Sounds like a good defense to the class action!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Sure - OK, but what caused mine with Brand New Metezlers? I know it was the rear, cause I put them on individually, days apart.

When the rear hit the bike, the poo-poo hit the fan.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I got a bad set of Dunlop's from Hal awhile back. I contacted Dunlop on the phone and they told me to order a new set and they would reimburse the dealer, which was Hal. I was out the money until Hal got reimbursed. I could not have been happier the way Hal and Dunlop handled the situation. It was a pain in the ass for everyone involved I remember that.

Do you do any aggressive riding? Same road with alot of turns to the one side?

If you call Dunlop, they will give you the phone# to the tire division. The lady I spoke with was extemely helpful and nice.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Tires will always ware heavy on the left side due to the crown in the road. It is not the manufacturers fault :roll:

·
Chard Member
13,000 Posts
I think I found the cause of shimmy
Bet you didn't! LOL... I'm betting it's the frt if you have a E3 up there. I haven't seen a good set yet! :( See if someone has a spare rear to stick on to see if that solves your problem. My E3 rear at 4000 miles looked like someone had used a carving knife to takes chunks out of the tread. It wasn't causing my wobble though. The wobble was caused by the frt that was missing maybe 1/31" of tread. It looked like new.

I didn't understand what you were measuring, but it's normal for the tread on the left side of the tire to wear faster than the right.

Good Luck.....

FYI.... My dealership took my E3's back. The rear self destructed at 4,000 miles. Only about 2/3 of the tire was even touching the ground. :( They tried to deal with a Dunflop rep, but they only wanted to play 500 questions with the dealer. They more or less told them to pound sand and sent them back the their supplier for full credit. According to them they have been having so many problems with the E3's the supplier asked no questions. LOL....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts