GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First ride today after the installation of All Balls bearings and a new Bridgestone front with Dynabeads to boot. The wobble was gone. Hopefully permanently. I was very happy to have the bars smooth as silk.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My first bike wobbled terrible untill I installed the all balls. I bought my second wing in the winter and it rode good and I installed all balls anyway just for the peace of mind.It still rides great.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Nice ... Did you do it yourself? Where did you get the parts? Have to have this done on my 13. Did it on my 04 and it made all the difference

Donnie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
I still swear that the combination of new tires and DynaBeads fixed my wobble. Now have about 7,000 miles on the tires and the wobble is perhaps 25% of what it was, almost unnoticeable.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Nice ... Did you do it yourself? Where did you get the parts? Have to have this done on my 13. Did it on my 04 and it made all the difference

Donnie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Donnie, one of the sponsors here, Shinhopples, is where I get my parts. Luther and Meesh are great people to do business with. Charley

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
First ride today after the installation of All Balls bearings and a new Bridgestone front with Dynabeads to boot. The wobble was gone. Hopefully permanently. I was very happy to have the bars smooth as silk.
I did everything you did except the Dynabeads on my 2012 and the NO VIBRATION was short lived. It lasted about 800 miles.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Kikker, Have you tried re-checking the torque on the all balls bearings? I packed mine just like I've always done wheel bearings, and had to re-torque them after a few miles. The steering felt loose, and it sure was! Somebody told me that the torque on them squeezes most of the grease out of there...

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Kikker, Have you tried re-checking the torque on the all balls bearings? I packed mine just like I've always done wheel bearings, and had to re-torque them after a few miles. The steering felt loose, and it sure was! Somebody told me that the torque on them squeezes most of the grease out of there...
Don't think so, how do you pack those sealed bearings? Once you torque the axle, it should not change, you are not torqueing bearings to races.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was talking about the steering head bearings, not the axle bearings, sorry I didn't make that clear.:oops:

·
Registered
938 Posts
Wow, by the title I thought this was a thread about drinking too much and deciding not to have children. ;)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Don't think so, how do you pack those sealed bearings? Once you torque the axle, it should not change, you are not torqueing bearings to races.
Flyer, these are not sealed bearings. There is a upper and lower bearing and a upper and lower race. If you don't bottom the races completely the bearing will not stay tight. So yes you are torqueing bearings to races.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Wow, by the title I thought this was a thread about drinking too much and deciding not to have children. ;)
Ditto..

I was wondering if his wife but them up on the mantle so he could see them now and then, or carried them around in her pocket and gave them a squeeze when he got out of line..

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Flyer, these are not sealed bearings. There is a upper and lower bearing and a upper and lower race. If you don't bottom the races completely the bearing will not stay tight. So yes you are torqueing bearings to races.
Oops, my mistake. :oops: Saw wheel bearings mentioned, but misread post.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
The dealer did but with no change.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
FLASH! Often the input vibe for the front end wobble is the REAR wheel/tire. The tapered steering stem bearings dampen the symptom, at first. But continued wear of the rear tire increases the input to point where the dampening if the bearings is overcome and wobble returns. If that pattern fits your experience, then consider the rear wheel/tire.

prs

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Obviously my number one concern is the return of the wobble. My question to you Pigeon roost is what are the rear tire fixes? Is it replacement or air pressure or the shock or ??? What would be the best way to start to figure those out? As for the thread title, had that done too. But it was 17yrs ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts