GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,
Well, I finally got around to taking the Wing in for it's brake recall thing. After signing the paperwork for the work to be done, I took a walk around the showroom floor. I was gonna take a look at the new Wing just for grins. But, I never made it to it. I was stopped by one of the best looking bike's I've seen in years. This is of course, my opinion. Anyways, it's a 2020 Honda Africa Twin. WOW that thing is hansom. I've sat on traditional dual sport bikes in the past and, well, to say the least, I was not ever as overwhelmed as I was/am with this bike. The colors, the quality of the paint work, the color contrasts between the body panels and, the engine, the frame, swing arm, gold wheels and more, to me, are just fantastic.

But, sitting on this bike is what really got to me. IT WAS/IS VERY, VERY COMFORTABLE! The handlebar position is FLAWLESS, again, at least from my point of view and, my ergonomics. I wouldn't have to change a thing, as I did with the Wing. This is the first year they added GPS and, made the windshield and suspension adjustable ON THE FLY. AND, it has CRUISE CONTROL! About the only thing that I might say is a downside (once more, just my opinion) is the fact it has a CABLE for the clutch and not a hydraulic system. But, the sales folks and I talked about that and, without a doubt, it's more than likely like that because of ease of service and repair, when you're WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out in the outback (Think Dakar) than is would be to try and repair a hydraulic clutch system, if one ever needs repair that is.

OK, ok, yes, I know it's not a Wing. And we aaaaaallllllllll know, that the Wing is a top-of-the-line distance street/freeway/mountain road killer. And the Wing is not a DUAL SPORT bike. Although some have maybe tried to make it one here and there. Yes, there's tons of lifes pleasures on a Wing that you'd not have on the Twin. Radio, C/B, heated seats and grips, more comfortable seat (some would disagree there), much larger windshield, considerably more horse power and of course, CONSIDERABLY MORE SMOOTH.

Without a doubt, the Africa Twin is NOT replacement for the Wing, it's merely a different ride altogether and has different intent and purpose. I did not get to ride it but, if I'd have pushed them, maybe I could have although, it had not been prepped/dealer serviced yet. They just got it and put it on the floor. Man, am I impressed or what? I climbed on it several times and couldn't get enough. The price on the headlight is $17,199.

And, at least to me anyways, this might be the straw that broke the camels back, IT COMES AS A DCT unit also!!!!!!!!!!!!! Based on the reports from this forum and, youtube videos, the Wing, as a DCT unit, is being highly praised with little to no pitfalls. Quick shifts, down and up. No slushiness (that I can recall). So, if that holds true for the Twin, then I'd more than likely opt for the DCT unit. Oh, and this year it comes with mounts for REMOVABLE side cases.

Yes, yes, I know, I've been riding Wings for decades and, without a doubt, riding the road sofa has surely pampered me throughout the years with all its creature comforts. If I were to trade in the Wing and get this new toy, would I be disappointed in a given amount of time, based on how well I've loved and adapted to the Wing in all the previous years, well, it's possible and, maybe highly likely. But, I'm not rich enough (should say "rich at all") to be able to afford both even though the Wing's been paid for years. And, at this time of my life, 67 years young, and everything's paid off 'cept the house, I'm pretty darn sure I don't want to go in debt for a motorcycle. So, a trade in is primarily my only option. We live in south west AZ and the market for used Wings is not all that good. Mine's in tip-top shape with a ton of farkles that have been added over the years. It's a level II with only 38K on the clock. I suspect, that the dealer might, MIGHT give me about $5K for it but, that would remain to be seen. So, $5K off of around $20K (out the door for the Twin) would still mean I'd have to come up with $15K, NOT GOOD! Hmmmm, still thinking about it though. What you boys and girls think?

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
I did a ton of research on adventure bikes prior to buying my 4th wing 3 months ago. If you are truly interested in an adventure bike you should research the Suzuki V-strom. They are very highly reviewed compared to all the adventure bikes including BMW which is considered the best. Retail on a new V-strom 650 touring is around 10K and the 1000 retails for 15K. You can get a used one with low miles for under 5K. Like I said, I researched the crap out of these things and if I would have gone the adventure bike route I would get a V-strom.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Last summer at the Wingding in Nashville my wife and I wanted to demo ride a new Goldwing. We had to wait our turn (waiting list for the Wing) so they offered us a 2019 Africa Twin DCT, while waiting.

First time riding a DCT bike, and also two-up. Within 5 minutes of the demo ride both wife and I agreed that the bike was phenomenal. Smooth as a butter, impeccable shifting, comfortable. I was intentionally looking for a potholes on the road to test the suspension and it ate them like it is a smooth asphalt. My wife said she can see herself spending all day at the passenger seat on that bike....and she's spooooooiled with the comfort of our 2013 Wing.

I'm sure 2020 is an improved model, with more gadgets etc. That said, keep in mind that you can find a 2019 model leftover for under $10k now... Might have to go further (other state) but just FYI. Not sure about all the differences between previous and newer model.

It really depends what kind of rides you do. We ride 95% of the time two-up and I know Africa would not be able to replace Wing when it comes to two-up multi day touring. But it sure is a sweeeet bike.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Your gut will tell you what to do. I'd lean toward telling you to go for it. You're 67 (I'm 66) and we have how many years of riding left?

I'm thinking big discounts off bikes. Bikes are not selling and if you play a little hard ball, they'll come around. Patience. But then again it's riding season. LOL

I'm under state imposed quarantine here, so my bike is covered.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Whatever you're thinking, don't do anything without test driving the bike.
You can't predict how the bike will sound, handle, vibrate, shift, brake, turn, and wind protect you just by sitting on it.
An Africa twin is NOTHING like a Goldwing in any respect, except for the Honda badge.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Scott I happen to be a Yamaha Tenere owner its A great bike but one thing I’ve always said ever since seeing the first one is if they would have put a decent paint job on it they Would be a lot easier to sell and Honda has definitely taken care of that !
Have you ever taken a new wing with DCT for a test ride ? I have and they are amazing !!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I did a ton of research on adventure bikes prior to buying my 4th wing 3 months ago. If you are truly interested in an adventure bike you should research the Suzuki V-strom. They are very highly reviewed compared to all the adventure bikes including BMW which is considered the best. Retail on a new V-strom 650 touring is around 10K and the 1000 retails for 15K. You can get a used one with low miles for under 5K. Like I said, I researched the crap out of these things and if I would have gone the adventure bike route I would get a V-strom.
Agreed. I had a 2005 V strom that I rode hard on and off road. The bike never complained. I was watching a review on YT for the 2020 V and wow - has Suzuki stepped up its game with the V. The electronics, IMHO, rivaled that of a BMW 1250, including hill assist and Inertial damping control in turns and about 50% less expensive than a BMW to purchase.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
What happens if you do trade in your Wing for the Africa Twin and you eventually discover you really don't like it as much as the Wing? Will you be able to afford getting back on a Wing?

·
Registered
685 Posts
What happens if you do trade in your Wing for the Africa Twin and you eventually discover you really don't like it as much as the Wing? Will you be able to afford getting back on a Wing?
Good point and for that reason I generally never "trade in". When I bought the Wing I kept my ST1300 until I was comfortable with the Wing being satisfactory for riding alone as well as with passenger. After a month or so someone asked me about buying the ST (w/o giving much thought to selling it yet) and when they said OK to the price I was sort of committed to letting it go. I miss the ST but don't regret buying the Wing. It's very capable of everything I need it to do and does it well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gents,
Well, I finally got around to taking the Wing in for it's brake recall thing. After signing the paperwork for the work to be done, I took a walk around the showroom floor. I was gonna take a look at the new Wing just for grins. But, I never made it to it. k?
How could you not see the new Goldwing on the right of the African Twin in one of your pictures??

That is funny right there. 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
How could you not see the new Goldwing on the right of the African Twin in one of your pictures??

View attachment 366993

That is funny right there. 🤣🤣🤣
When I said I never made it to the new Goldwing, it was more of a figure of speech. Yes, the White Pearl Wing was next to the Africa Twin and, I did glance at it once in a while but, I was in a trance due to this Twin. As for the comment and or question concerning the potential for going back to the Wing, if, IF we find we're or, "I" am not all that happy with the Twin, well, yeah, there would be some issues there but, not insurmountable. This is one of those things that triggers a almost have to have thing with me. Notice I say ALMOST. At this point, as much as it really inflicted a desire in me, it's a dream right now.
Scott

P.S. Yes, if I were to get REAL SERIOUS about it, I'd take it for a serious test drive. I'm not about to fork out approximately $20K (without sitting down and talking the sales rep, I figure at the price on the headlight, with some general taxes, DMV stuff, dealer prep and maybe even a slight discount of some type, I'd be looking at around $20K out the door)

Yes, yes I know and stated way earlier, the Twin is NOT A GOLD WING! It's a totally different animal. And as such, the experience in riding it, how handles, vibrates, shifts (although I've never, ever in my life, with at least 30 motorcycles, had any problems shifting) how it brakes, corners and all that stuff, I know is gonna be different.

I have a little Yamaha TW200 that I put-put around town on and occasionally delve into off roading and trail running with. I get zipping around on that little bike and then, I jump on the Wing for a little trip and I think I've just jumped on board the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC1701!!
It's like driving a battleship after piloting that little Yamaha.
Scott

·
Registered
69 Posts
I rented an Africa when I was on an excursion on a Alaskan Cruise. Loved the bike but it was very tall for me (5'10"). Not a lot of traffic lights or stop signs up that way so it was quite doable but I know it would be a bitch for me anywhere else. This was in 2018 so they may have changed the design of the newer models. Make sure it "fits" where you will do most of your miles.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Gents,
..............still thinking about it though. What you boys and girls think?
WHAT! You just can’t run off and trade her in for a new model. What are you thinking? What will the kids say? Sure she’s smaller, pretty and handles better, but the newness will ware off. I say NO!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Spending nearly $20,000 on something just to scratch an itch is quite a gamble. I'd dip my feet into the ADV pool by either renting an ADV bike or buying something used and much less expensive. I own both a Wing and a KLR and the Wing gets 15,000 miles per year while the KLR gets 1000. Of course, an AT is much more bike than a KLR but it ain't a Gold Wing, that's for certain.

·
Registered
587 Posts
As I have gotten older I have also gotten shorter (it is true that you shrink in your old age!). I used to be 5'8" and a few weeks ago at the doctor's office they said I was 5'6". The seat on the Africa Twin is way out of reach for short guys like me, at 34 inches. At 76 I thought that the 2016 Goldwing was likely my last bike, but I well might still be riding even when I reach a point where handling the 900 pound bike gets to be just too much for me. I think about then trading in the Wing for whatever I could get from a dealer and getting a lighter bike more suitable to my age. But the thought of giving up cruise control, the comfort and power of the Wing, as well as the weather protection of that full fairing is not a pleasant thought. And ever going back to anything less than decent sized, lockable hard luggage is not a good thought either. Now, if Honda made something like the Africa Twin with a seat no higher than 30 inches I would have to re-think this whole subject.

·
Chard Member
12,734 Posts
Check out this vid on the Africa Twin valve adjustment.

Holy crap!

If you’re an owner and not a rider I guess $1,000 valve adjust every few years would be okay. But paying $1k once or twice a year would suck! How many mechanics would you trust to do it?

Does any dual sport do anything great? They aren’t road bikes and they’re not dirt bikes!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
A little off topic, but an NC750X, also with a SOHC Unicam set-up, uses locknuts and screws for valve adjustment, not shims.
MUCH easier to adjust. I'd say it would take a shop about 1 hour to do that, or the DIY'er, about 2-3 hours the first time.
The guy in this video was using a torque wrench to tighten the locknuts without holding the screw from turning while torquing.
Big no-no.
The second video shows another guy who knows what he's doing.
Just because something is on youtube doesn't mean it's done correctly.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts