GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I rented an Africa when I was on an excursion on a Alaskan Cruise. Loved the bike but it was very tall for me (5'10"). Not a lot of traffic lights or stop signs up that way so it was quite doable but I know it would be a bitch for me anywhere else. This was in 2018 so they may have changed the design of the newer models. Make sure it "fits" where you will do most of your miles.
Yep,
I'm 6' 2.5" and have about a 32" inseam. As stated in my first post, I climbed on it and it is PERFECT for my ergonomics. My feet are close to flat footed on the floor, maybe my heals are ever so slightly off the floor. That's way more than enough stability for my comfort. The bars are PERFECT too, no adjustment or alterations necessary.
Scott

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the Harley Barstool in one of the pics. That store must be a multi-line dealer.
For sure,
That place is Route 66 Motorsports in Kingman AZ. That place handles Harely, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Polaris, and maybe Indian but, not sure about that. I even sat on a Honda Grom while there. What a nifty little bike.
Scott

WHAT! You just can’t run off and trade her in for a new model. What are you thinking? What will the kids say? Sure she’s smaller, pretty and handles better, but the newness will ware off. I say NO!
Grady,
Ya know, we all (at least most of us) wish we could have, do have or, did have more spendable income). This way, something like my feelings for this Twin, could be sought after with much more ease. But, at 67, retired (for 10 years so far) and a decent income but not high, I still have to use judgment and common sense in large spending. This is why my thread title didn't or doesn't read, New stablemate.

Holy crap!

If you’re an owner and not a rider I guess $1,000 valve adjust every few years would be okay. But paying $1k once or twice a year would suck! How many mechanics would you trust to do it?

Does any dual sport do anything great? They aren’t road bikes and they’re not dirt bikes!
I didn't look at that video, YET. But I will. As for Does any dual sport do anything great? They aren’t road bikes and they’re not dirt bikes! Well, as I understand it, they're not supposed to do either one GREAT! They're supposed to be good at both. And, as seasoned riders, we know before signing the dotted line, and surely realizing that, they're not GREAT at either of those two. But, for the riders that do own and use them, apparently they're good enough at both for them to keep them and use them for the intended purpose.

At a printed (on the headlight in my pics) asking price of $17,199, I'm not gonna run right back up to that dealer and ask how soon can I pick it up. I took some of you folk's advice and looked around at other sections of the country and I'm truly amazed at what I found. There are BRAND NEW 2016 Africa Twins out there!!! That's a 4 year old bike, sitting on the floor. There's brand new '17's, '18's, and '19's. I could care less about traveling if I really wanted one. I'd buzz on over to another state in a minute if I was serious about procuring one. I just happened to see this '20 model while at the dealership that's handling my brake recall service.

Some of you, (I don't have a clue as to how many) have the income and ability to walk into a dealer and walk out or, RIDE out with a brand new bike and didn't even have a thought of procuring one when you entered. I applaud you for that. But, I gotta reason things out before making a decision like that. Hence, it's not sitting in my garage right now.
Scott

·
Registered
42 Posts
Im still working with 5 years left till retirement so slowly adding toys to make sure i wont be bored....newest addition is the wing tour that just so happens will be paid off in 5 years....I really enjoy riding my Honda 650 XR-L dual sport, nothing like exploring the logging roads here in the great Pacific NW then pulling up front of a local dive bar to wash the trail dust down...The wing is for the longer distance pavement only rides 😊 and quad for the mud....
20200329_102327.jpg

·
Registered
378 Posts
Gents,
Well, I finally got around to taking the Wing in for it's brake recall thing. After signing the paperwork for the work to be done, I took a walk around the showroom floor. I was gonna take a look at the new Wing just for grins. But, I never made it to it. I was stopped by one of the best looking bike's I've seen in years. This is of course, my opinion. Anyways, it's a 2020 Honda Africa Twin. WOW that thing is hansom. I've sat on traditional dual sport bikes in the past and, well, to say the least, I was not ever as overwhelmed as I was/am with this bike. The colors, the quality of the paint work, the color contrasts between the body panels and, the engine, the frame, swing arm, gold wheels and more, to me, are just fantastic.

But, sitting on this bike is what really got to me. IT WAS/IS VERY, VERY COMFORTABLE! The handlebar position is FLAWLESS, again, at least from my point of view and, my ergonomics. I wouldn't have to change a thing, as I did with the Wing. This is the first year they added GPS and, made the windshield and suspension adjustable ON THE FLY. AND, it has CRUISE CONTROL! About the only thing that I might say is a downside (once more, just my opinion) is the fact it has a CABLE for the clutch and not a hydraulic system. But, the sales folks and I talked about that and, without a doubt, it's more than likely like that because of ease of service and repair, when you're WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out in the outback (Think Dakar) than is would be to try and repair a hydraulic clutch system, if one ever needs repair that is.

OK, ok, yes, I know it's not a Wing. And we aaaaaallllllllll know, that the Wing is a top-of-the-line distance street/freeway/mountain road killer. And the Wing is not a DUAL SPORT bike. Although some have maybe tried to make it one here and there. Yes, there's tons of lifes pleasures on a Wing that you'd not have on the Twin. Radio, C/B, heated seats and grips, more comfortable seat (some would disagree there), much larger windshield, considerably more horse power and of course, CONSIDERABLY MORE SMOOTH.

Without a doubt, the Africa Twin is NOT replacement for the Wing, it's merely a different ride altogether and has different intent and purpose. I did not get to ride it but, if I'd have pushed them, maybe I could have although, it had not been prepped/dealer serviced yet. They just got it and put it on the floor. Man, am I impressed or what? I climbed on it several times and couldn't get enough. The price on the headlight is $17,199.

And, at least to me anyways, this might be the straw that broke the camels back, IT COMES AS A DCT unit also!!!!!!!!!!!!! Based on the reports from this forum and, youtube videos, the Wing, as a DCT unit, is being highly praised with little to no pitfalls. Quick shifts, down and up. No slushiness (that I can recall). So, if that holds true for the Twin, then I'd more than likely opt for the DCT unit. Oh, and this year it comes with mounts for REMOVABLE side cases.

Yes, yes, I know, I've been riding Wings for decades and, without a doubt, riding the road sofa has surely pampered me throughout the years with all its creature comforts. If I were to trade in the Wing and get this new toy, would I be disappointed in a given amount of time, based on how well I've loved and adapted to the Wing in all the previous years, well, it's possible and, maybe highly likely. But, I'm not rich enough (should say "rich at all") to be able to afford both even though the Wing's been paid for years. And, at this time of my life, 67 years young, and everything's paid off 'cept the house, I'm pretty darn sure I don't want to go in debt for a motorcycle. So, a trade in is primarily my only option. We live in south west AZ and the market for used Wings is not all that good. Mine's in tip-top shape with a ton of farkles that have been added over the years. It's a level II with only 38K on the clock. I suspect, that the dealer might, MIGHT give me about $5K for it but, that would remain to be seen. So, $5K off of around $20K (out the door for the Twin) would still mean I'd have to come up with $15K, NOT GOOD! Hmmmm, still thinking about it though. What you boys and girls think?
I think you are being sucked in by excellent marketing and imagery from Honda. I have an '08 Airbag with some good mods and it is an amazing street bike, sport bike and tourer. None better. I also have several dirt bikes (Husqvarna TE 300, etc.) for serious off-road work. I almost had all the Dual-sport and Africa Twin kool-aid down and was frothing to buy one. I'd ridden KTM's 1190 and 1290, and while they are crude and ride like a big dirt bike, their motor and handling were great. I decided I should be wise and RIDE the AT before purchasing to see if it really had a place in my garage. Turns out, it does not. It is slow. Everything about it on the street is much less enjoyable than the wing. So, to ride it several hours across Colorado to get where I want to go off-road would be miserable. I would be comparing it to how the ride would be on the wing. It would be a monster off-road doing the riding I do, whereby a) dropping it would cost a $1,000 or more to repair each time, b) not be good or able to ride where I want to go (frustrating), and c) be impossible to get back on trail if dropped downhill. That means I would not be able to get it out, period. So, while on the test ride I asked myself "what place would this thing have in my garage?". I couldn't come up an answer on my ride back to the dealership, other than I love the colors. I returned it, said thanks and said it was nice, but told him all of the above. You may feel very differently but I'm very glad I kept my '08 and can do what I said above.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Whatever you're thinking, don't do anything without test driving the bike.
You can't predict how the bike will sound, handle, vibrate, shift, brake, turn, and wind protect you just by sitting on it.
An Africa twin is NOTHING like a Goldwing in any respect, except for the Honda badge.
Excellent advice on both points.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have an older Goldwing and a BMW R1200GS. Lucky me! I'm seriously looking at a "new" 2018 Goldwing DCT as soon as chaos settles down.
The chain drive on the Twin would be a deal breaker for me. Ain't going back to chain drive, no matter how many other options they load an adventure bike up with.
Just my opinion.
Jim

·
Registered
842 Posts
That 2020 ATAS is a sexy bike in all its Red White and Blue glory.

I thought I would wanted an AT to replace my 2014 R1200GS. The local BMW dealer took a 2016 AT manual in trade. I took it for a ride. Meh, it was sort of slow. Suspension was soft. It didn't get the juices flowing. Dare I say, it was boring.

Another local Honda dealer has a 2017 DCT used. Took it for a ride. The DCT was cooler. I rode longer. Still meh, but not that exciting. Rode my friends 2018 DCT. It was nice, like Toyota Camry nice. 2018 and up has throttle by wire and can have an aftermarket cruise control installed.

After the test rides I get back on the GS and whack the throttle and enjoy the fight between the traction control and the engine's 125 horses as the bike rockets forward. Turn off traction control and roll on the wheelies. (closed course riding of course). Bumpy road head, put the ESA in Soft. Curves ahead, select firm. Need to pass a semi, hold on! Ride a KTM or Ducati Multistrada. Same things only more so. These bikes are fun! I don't know why the big 4 (Super Tenere, V-Strom, Versys) can't make a thrilling adventure bike. On the other side of the coin, why can't the euros make an adventure bike with Japanese reliability? Thus my only unhappiness with my 3rd GS. I don't learn! Newer BMW's are not on my radar.

Compared to most other large displacement Adventure bikes it is typical Honda vanilla. 2020 has some real nice upgrades. TFT Display, slightly more power., lighter, electronic adjustable suspension, finally cruise control, etc.

Then, on the other hand...

The 2018 AT Adventure Sport in the 30th Anniversary Tri Color is gorgeous, Only surpassed by the 2020 model beauty. I could get used to slow with the right color combination, maybe. All the new 2018 ATAS DCTs are sold. Here's hoping to find somebody so hot for the 2020 ATAS they want to unload their 2018 ATAS cheap. As the OP noticed and other have pointed out. There are a bunch of left over 2017-19 ATs for under $10k. Bargain bike.

If you can live with the non-exciting colors and most likely non-DCT at this point, buy a leftover and keep the wing.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Should you do it!? Nope, you'll have a buzz with it for a while but once over that you'd regret selling your Wing. As a second bike, absolutely, but you'd still sell it later....

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have an older Goldwing and a BMW R1200GS. Lucky me! I'm seriously looking at a "new" 2018 Goldwing DCT as soon as chaos settles down.
The chain drive on the Twin would be a deal breaker for me. Ain't going back to chain drive, no matter how many other options they load an adventure bike up with.
Just my opinion.
Jim
I feel the same way. I don't want to fiddle with chain maintenance. And I don't plan on riding the Dakar either, so I don't need a chain drive bike.

If you, or anybody else here would educate me on the "need" for chain drive, I would really appreciate it. I am not mechanically inclined so there is a lot about bike build and maintenance that I just don't understand.

Is it a price thing? Is it a weight issue? Is it a "fix it on the roadside " issue? I can understand maybe why a BELT drive might be a problem in hard terrain because picking up a rock in that linkage would be a major mechanical issue. But an enclosed Shaft Drive wouldn't pick up anything. It would look to me to be an advantage even over a Chain Drive.

So I would welcome the pros and cons of this Chain vs. Shaft issue.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well gang,
The wife took me back to the dealer yesterday to pick up the Wing after the recall was done and, I walked over to the AT for another look. I'm still impressed. Oh, incidentally, this dealer did one bang up job on the recall repair. Those brakes work OUTSTANDINGLY!!!!!!!!! If you still need the recall done, and, you're either traveling or in any other set of circumstances that have you near this town, I'd highly recommend them. Great work!
But, as for the Africa Twin, well, as much as I'm totally infatuated with this GREAT LOOKING machine, I'm gonna have to simmer down my feelings and get back to reality. Even if I wanted to take it for a test ride, it still hadn't been P.D.I.'d yet. So no one was gonna ride it 'till that was done. I'd have nothing to compare it to except the Wing and, my little Yamaha TW200 and, neither one of those would hardly be any form of comparison. So, it is what it is. The bike is still sitting on the show room floor. My Wing's at home in its parking spot and, I'm back at fabricating front and rear racks for my TW. Still dreaming.
Scott

·
Registered
842 Posts
So I would welcome the pros and cons of this Chain vs. Shaft issue.
Chain Pros
Light (compared to a shaft drive)
Efficient power transmission (2% loss between the output shaft and the rear wheel)
Easily changed gearing (want a climb bike? highway cruiser?)
Cheaper for the manufacturer
Simplicity, easily repaired.

Cons
Maintenance - lubing and adjustments
Wears out - Have to replace both the chain and the sprockets (for my bikes 15-20,000 miles)
Could be messy with the wrong lube.

Shaft Drive Pros
Low maintenance
Should last the life of the bike
Clean

Cons
Heavy
Less efficient (10% loss)
Near impossible gearing changes
If it breaks, you are stuck
Expensive to the manufacturer
Shaft jacking on some bikes (roll on the rear lifts, roll off the rear squats)

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you still have the bug for an "adventure bike", go ride a KTM 1190 or 1290. Then, go ride the AT. That will give you some different points of view. BTW, I took a lengthy test ride on a Super Tenere at Sturgis last year. Same conclusion as I made in my comment above on the AT. Nicely built, but slow, etc. No need for it in my garage either.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Perhaps the 17199 on the headlight is the stock number? ;)

All kidding aside, when you're ready to buy, you'll know.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
@FIRE UP , reading your OP post is exactly why I stay away from dealerships. They function on the "hold the kitty" theory of salesmanship. Look, touch, hold, own... just sign right here, thank you!

In July 2010 a friend and I rode the Continental Divide Trail on Suzuki DR650's. The AT is a bit heavy for some of what we did, but it could be done by a skilled rider. All told we rode just over 5,000 miles in 3-1/2 weeks.

We left Cody, WY to head back to Alabama on the 24th of July. I have to admit that looking back on the four hard days it took us to get from Cody to Alabama, cruise control would have been a very nice option.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a Honda NC 700 from 2015. That is how I knew I would like the DCT on my Goldwing. The 700 is a mild, good looking bike, easy to ride. It is not a dual sport, but it is an almost perfect town or commuter bike. The seat can be lowered.
Now supposedly Honda is coming out with a smaller Africa Twin based on that smaller motor.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well gang,
I'm taking all advice here with careful consideration. I've been a Goldwing fan for eons of time. (2) 1200's, (1) 1500 and (2) 1800's. We've not rode coast to coast or, border to border but, we've taking some 2,000 mile rides. And those rides, to us, were SERIOUSLY LONG rides. To some of you, that's a weekend. Well, based on the fact that the Wing sits in the garage, way more than it used to, and my little Yamaha TW 200 gets considerable more use. The primary reason is, it's more versatile. I know, I know, the Wing is for a totally different operation and purpose. No doubt about that. But, that kind of riding, the distance(s), and all that entails the Wings riding operation, has just seemed to dissipate over the last few years.

And no, when I walked around at that dealership, while the Wing was wheeled into service for the recall, it was ME that walked up to the Africa Twin and started some heavy thinking. It had absolutely NOTHING TO DO WITH A SALESMAN. In fact, I didn't even talk to a salesman for a good 5-10 minutes. And, when one finally came over to ask if he could be of assistance, I just said I'm fine, just thinking. He politely said, "Roger that, I'll be over here if you think of anything you'd like to ask" . And with that, he just went to a desk, sat down and did whatever.

There was absolutely NO PRESSURE from anyone at that dealership. All those folks, (really only about 2-3 that were around) were polite, non pressing and cordial folks. I know all about what I'd be giving up if I did this change. Yes, quite a bit. Thing's the wife and I have been used to for years. But, things change, including my thoughts on riding. We can still ride two up but, it would be for way shorter jaunt's here and there, not any longer distance's like we used to. They, the Africa Twin that is, comes just like the Wing, transmission wise. A 6-speed manual or, a DCT model. I don't have a doubt as to which I'd choose. The DCT model for sure. After shifting everything on the planet for well over 50 years, I'm done shifting. But, I'd still be riding. Albeit, quite a bit differently. No permanent decision is yet final but, I'm sure as heck leaning that way.
Scott

21 - 37 of 37 Posts