GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive only had my bike for about 6 weeks now. Ive been learning as I go. I don't tend to read owners manuals until I need to learn something new. Well somehow I had the situation where I went out to my bike and it is completely dead. maybe I did that turned it off too quick that Ive read about here. at this point I don't know what I did or what is wrong. Heres my big problem. I looked at both my fobs and there isn't a key in either one of them. so I cant access anything in my bike. Of course the dealer is closed for the day and now I must wait. my guess is they will need my serial # and have to send me a new key. gotta love this.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah... you need to read the manual.. and put a charger on the bike.
Id start with learning about the fob., and how that works.
Can't REALLY "turn OFF the bike too quick"...

·
Registered
7,385 Posts
Ive only had my bike for about 6 weeks now. Ive been learning as I go. I don't tend to read owners manuals until I need to learn something new. Well somehow I had the situation where I went out to my bike and it is completely dead. maybe I did that turned it off too quick that Ive read about here. at this point I don't know what I did or what is wrong. Heres my big problem. I looked at both my fobs and there isn't a key in either one of them. so I cant access anything in my bike. Of course the dealer is closed for the day and now I must wait. my guess is they will need my serial # and have to send me a new key. gotta love this.
As well as fob keys, it sounds like the also owe you the key that doesn't fit in a fob?

·
Registered
8,131 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Just recently, I started up the bike and walked away with the key, and the bike stopped. I went back and tried to start it again, nothing. I turned it all on and started again, nothing for a split second, then it fired up and shut off.
Then it fired up and ran fine.
I am thinking my red rocker starter switch is bad, or something along that idea

·
Registered
51 Posts
Try this start the bike let it run turn off the bike and walk away approach the bike start it again let it run turn off the bike walk away come back to the bike and started again try that 3 times and see if you still have the same problem.
It may be trying to re communicate with the fob if you walk away with the bike running.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Delete.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Does your bike have a battery tender plug on it...alot of dealers install them while they are on the sales floor for a easy way to keep the battery charged up...the dealer put one on my bike..anyways if your bike has that you could charge the battery without having to open the saddlebag to get at the battery.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don’t remember what stays on, but if you turn the bike off with the red rocker switch something stays on and it will run the battery down. To prevent this you need to turn the bike off using the black round ignition switch to off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does your bike have a battery tender plug on it...alot of dealers install them while they are on the sales floor for a easy way to keep the battery charged up...the dealer put one on my bike..anyways if your bike has that you could charge the battery without having to open the saddlebag to get at the battery.
If it does they didn't tell me. ill have to ask them tomorrow. My last bike I ran 4 gage leads that I could access easily to jump my bike. Im going to look into doing something like that on this bike.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Did you accidentally turn off your FOB? Push the button (Goldwing logo) on the FOB until the light on FOB blinks 3x then try again to start your bike. If no blinking light then you have a dead fob battery.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
I recommend familiarizing yourself with the FOB section of the owners manual.

·
Vendor
21,759 Posts
I haven't verified, but I think it may be possible to access the left saddlebag release cable from underneath the rear fender. With a good flashlight and the bike on the centerstand, you might be able to work the cable free enough to pull on it and open the bag.

Once you gain access, the first thing I would do is add a battery charger pig tail to the battery so you can charge it without removing any panels. The second thing I'd do is get a key made for the lock cylinder under the trunk so you can open the saddlebag if the battery is dead. You should have received one with the bike.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Well, did you find out what might be the problem?

·
Registered
710 Posts
@Matt(BCNV) I think you're probably right which means he's "screwed for MORE than awhile".

Reactions: Matt(BCNV)

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have keys and no place to stick them... when my trike is running and I walk away it beeps and illuminates a light on the dash but does not shut off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Best read Owners Manual. There is a key in your key fob (hidden) that will open your left bag by taking off the trim strip under rear of trunk and find the key slot. In the left bag there is a release for the right bag and in there you will find a release for the trunk.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts