GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put a new G701 on the bike as I had a trip coming up... The takeoff G701 still had 1500 miles left... Amazed when I checked my log..... The tire came in at just a few miles under 28K.... The best I had before was 23K.... This tire is a bias ply tire and is stock on the 1500s'.. It a dual compound and is best suited for long distance riding...Pressure was at 40 pounds... . Cheers.... :doorag:

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
run what you want, I don't care, but to get the best performance the best tires are the stock size in radials.....brands do differ, but this bike was designed for radials.
some like to stick to the slabs, but if you enjoy spirited riding in the curves...............
flame suit on

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
run what you want, I don't care, but to get the best performance the best tires are the stock size in radials.....brands do differ, but this bike was designed for radials.
some like to stick to the slabs, but if you enjoy spirited riding in the curves...............

flame suit on
You are correct Sir..... In the twisties the G709 Radial is the tire of choice for many......However, you are looking at around 9K for the life of the tire..... . Cheers....

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
flame suit on

No flame suit needed, but I disagree. I am now a darksider. I believe there is better performance to be had by being smart about what you are buying.

I needed more lean angle. CT did that for me, and gave me better performance......................

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Hey stick,

I've always wondered about this... putting a bias ply tire on a bike designed for radials.

Since you've had both a bias ply and a radial Bridgestone on your bike, please tell me how the handling characteristics compare between the two.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey stick,

I've always wondered about this... putting a bias ply tire on a bike designed for radials.

Since you've had both a bias ply and a radial Bridgestone on your bike, please tell me how the handling characteristics compare between the two.

Thanks.
The bias is a slightly harder ride...where the radial is definitely a smoother softer ride...Depends on what you are looking for...The G701 is smooth on the slab...handles the twisties but will feather on the sides fairly quickly....The radial favors the twisties great...Will handle the slab just fine ..however will not get the miles like the bias...
The Wing is amazing as to what type of tires can be run...I run a radial car tire on the rear...You can run anything you want on the front...It's all good...At the risk of bragging..I've done over 320k in the last 9 years mainly on the Wing in the Dark side mode...with a half dozen different type tires on the front...They all performed with different characteristics.... Whether it be the Dunlop..Sport Demon..Lasertec...Battlax BT45....G701 or G709....this is being done on my Nexus 4 ..will correct the spelling later.....

·
Registered
5,260 Posts

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
I run a G-701, my second one as a matter of fact. My first one was at a suggestion by trialsman. My second one was my insistence. It does a great job for me and gives my about 22K miles. When I wear this one out, I have another ready to mount.
thecruiser

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
flame suit on
Not to be argumentative.... but what is your source thats states the bike is designed for radials..... Seems to me that most bikes would probably handle better with radials.... What is the reasoning that says the Wing has to have radials any more than other bikes.... Just curious..... In this case the Wing is so flexible that a bias for longevity seems to work just fine......Cheers..... :doorag:

·
Registered
401 Posts
same question...

Not to be argumentative.... but what is your source thats states the bike is designed for radials..... Seems to me that most bikes would probably handle better with radials.... What is the reasoning that says the Wing has to have radials any more than other bikes.... Just curious..... In this case the Wing is so flexible that a bias for longevity seems to work just fine......Cheers..... :doorag:
here is one explanation, it's the rims...
http://www.sema.org/files/attachments/WTC-2011-05-Bias-vs-Radial-Tire-Wheel-Fitment.pdf

So the bottom line is, be careful running a radial on a rim designed for bias tires.
...gene

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
According to the bias/ radial tire explanation that I just read about from the prior post: radial tire on bias built rim is potentially dangerous; but the bias tire on the built for radial tires rim would be safe. Because the rims for a radial tire are built stronger than rims for bias tires are built.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seems that report reinforces my original argument... Cheers...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I quickly scanned over the above link but didn't see anything that talks directly about motorcycle wheels. The big thing most people talk about is not mixing radials and bias plys. But, what they are talking about is mixing one of each on the same axle. This cannot be done on a bike because you only have one wheel per axle so it is not an issue.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
I run a radical on the rear and a bias-ply on the front... Am I gonna die? :eek:4:

Well, I know I'm gonna die but I mean is this what will kill me?
thecruiser

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I run a radical on the rear and a bias-ply on the front... Am I gonna die? :eek:4:

thecruiser
I think you will be ok! :thumbup: You made it thru the DSRI!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

thecruiser
Hey there Cruiser. Haven't spoke to you in a while. From talking to you a while ago I think you'd agree that there is nothing wrong with dying when you know what comes next. You left FL and gone back north yet?

Also Stick: I might try the 701. Who do you buy it from?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts