GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Where the F is the Spanish version? Some group of spinach workers is gonna be pissed. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
jasonJonas said:
too bad most people can't read. ;)
So, call 'em and tell 'em... :lol:

Now, where are the signs for "Put down your coffee..." "Put up your makeup..."

and, for those who can read, "Put you newspaper/book away!"

(Anyone want to guess what the next :cus: will be? I'm going to go with navigation devices, as they get more prevelant...)

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
i use my phone on my bike and car everyday,dont like it? to funking bad i guess!!!

bad drivers are bad drivers,if not a phone it will be something else!!!

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
k7lvo said:
I would but their line is busy.

k7lvo said:

The problem is that they aren't paying attention as much as they should and will likely not notice your signs anyway.

k7lvo said:
(Anyone want to guess what the next :cus: will be? I'm going to go with navigation devices, as they get more prevelant...)
Thankfully some manufacturers are smart enough to disable the devices while the vehicle is in motion. :wink:

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
k7lvo said:
jasonJonas said:
too bad most people can't read. ;)

If you want to outlaw my cellphone in my truck (or on my bikes), make sure you include any and all food & drink, any and all audio devices (radio, CD, CB, tape players, MP3 players) along with make-up and reading material in the same statute. Absent that, I'll keep my cellphone, thanks!

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
And as I noted in another thread recently, you shouldn't talk to your passengers (car or motorcycle) either, if it's conversation that is distracting, rather than fumbling with a phone, CD, Radio, GPS, etc., etc.

2,732 Posts
Sorry...

I'll put my phone away when you and/or others put your cigarettes out (how often have you seen someone trying to find the red hot ash in the their lap that just fell off), put a glass barrier between the driver and any and all passengers (I've seen moms or dads swerve into the median and onto the shoulder yelling at kids in the back seat), eliminate any food eating (see cigarette smoking above), no rolled down windows (just 7 days ago I had a live hornet end up in my lap which created some real excitement - for me anyway) .....need I go on? Just how many laws do you think we can make and still be a free country? Sorry, but there are a loooooot of distractions in life........common sense dictacts our ability to deal with them. Cell phones seem to be the current "whipping boy" right now, but I'm sure there'll be another "something" that can create another "problem" that we can get really upset about. I'm not saying that cell phones aren't a problem, just that there are lots of other things to put roadside signs up about if that's what you are going to do. Drinking and driving comes to mind.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Re: Sorry...

Canyon Dancer in Colorado said:
I'll put my phone away when you and/or others put your cigarettes out.
As of this Friday, it will be 5 years since I put my last one out! :D Does that count?

Sorry, but there are a loooooot of distractions in life........common sense dictacts our ability to deal with them. Cell phones seem to be the current "whipping boy" right now, but I'm sure there'll be another "something" that can create another "problem" that we can get really upset about.
It's because cell phone conversations while driving is largely an unneccesary distraction. Not all of those phone calls are life and death so there's no reason to be putting others at risk. It's not realistic to think you can do all that other stuff. Besides, if others are in the car with a driver who is gabbing and driving stupid, the passengers are likely to tell the drive to pay attention or say "LOOK OUT!" as the driver is bearing down on the poor sap sitting at a red light.

I'm not saying that cell phones aren't a problem, just that there are lots of other things to put roadside signs up about if that's what you are going to do. Drinking and driving comes to mind.
Drunk driving is already illegal. As it should be.

Being a free country -to me- means that we all have the freedom to do stupid things like smoking when we are putting our own lives at risk. But freedom does not mean someone should be able to put the lives of others at risk gabbing on cell phones.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
again whine and complain all you want,i will use my phone on my bike and car so to funking bad!!!

i say all wing riders over 50 should take the test again,because i see them ride at the gap and am not to impressed

also the phone dont make you a bad driver,but if the cops see a driver doing a bad job and on the phone they should be nailed!

stop lumping all people together,its like me lumping all you non wing riders that cant ride together and thats not right,so i wont.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good golly,
I thought the sign was pretty funny and did it to be comical. I didnt know it would strike so many nerves. Ive seen so many posts about bikers having close calls with motorists on cell phones I thought most people would enjoy this, but boy was I wrong. Sorry if I offended anyone. But, its a known fact that talking on cellphones causes accidents. Ive almost been hit many times by someone talking on one. If you can ride/drive and talk and pay complete attention to the road, thats great. But I have a problem with those that cant, especially teenagers that dont have any driving experience.
So dont take this original post as an attack on anyone, look at it and smile :D

2,732 Posts
Sorry 2 dogs..

Sorry 2 dogs, I didn't mean to get carried away with my comments. The sign is interesting and amusing. I guess I use my cell phone in business and its very important to me.....can't imagine doing business without it and I do think that I use it carefully and intellegently. But signs and bumper stickers "slaying" all cell phone users...... paint everyone the same color. And probably create a perception that "all cell phone users" are bad drivers which I don't buy and I think is very unfortunate. I did enjoy the sign, just kind of hit a real sore spot for me.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
twodogs1800 said:
Good golly,
I thought the sign was pretty funny and did it to be comical. I didnt know it would strike so many nerves. Ive seen so many posts about bikers having close calls with motorists on cell phones I thought most people would enjoy this, but boy was I wrong. Sorry if I offended anyone.
I don't think you offended anybody. But there are definitely two camps on this issue.

twodogs1800 said:
But, its a known fact that talking on cellphones causes accidents. Ive almost been hit many times by someone talking on one. If you can ride/drive and talk and pay complete attention to the road, thats great. But I have a problem with those that cant, especially teenagers that dont have any driving experience.
That's the problem - to many people think they can gab and drive at the same time when they can't. And it's usually the most egotistical and pompous ones who are the worse, in my limited, unscientific experience so trying to convince them is impossible. I've seen these people on TV too - they get put to the test on a driving course and fail every time. They act humbled afterwords but I doubt it was long before they were right back at driving and gabbing again.

twodogs1800 said:
So dont take this original post as an attack on anyone, look at it and smile :D
Relax. You didn't start anything. Good sign. :wink:

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I don't think the law is right to disallow drinking and driving either. DRINKING AND CRASHING THEY CAN OUTLAW.

·
Registered
552 Posts
twodogs1800 said:
Sorry if I offended anyone.
Dude... this is a winger board, just by typing a couple words you will offend somebody. The skins are very thin around these parts, so get used to it. :roll:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I thought the sign was hilarious, so thanks for the chuckle. I too was not expecting the flames coming from this thread, but this board surprizes me on a regular basis that way. I don't need to talk business on the phone while in my car or bike, so it is not a real issue with me. I ride the bike to focus my attention so that it makes work and problems go away. Having a cell phone wired into my bike would defeat that purpose. I work on a military base and they just enacted a Navy regulation (not a state or federal law) that prohibits us from talking on a cell phone while driving on base unless it has a hands-free setup. I now just pull over to the side of the road if I get a cell phone call while driving on base. No real problem for me that I can see. I understand that others have businesses that require them to live on a cell phone, be it in the office, in the car, on a bike, or tip toeing through the tulips.

Can I drive and talk on the phone at the same time? Sure I can. Am I less observant of traffic conditions while talking on a cell phone? You bet. Anyone that tells you differently is kidding themselves IMHO. :duck: Can someone be safe while talking on a phone and piloting a car or bike? Maybe yes, or maybe no. I think it depends on a lot of things that change all the time. How bad is the traffic, what kind of road are you on, is the conversation upsetting you, does your conversation require serious mental processing, are you a new driver with limited skill and experience, are you so old that even with full attention you are still a hazard waiting for an accident to happen, do you feel ill, are you taking medication that affects your ability to think clearly, have you been drinking? :coolit: Well, I think you get my point.

Would I support a law that prohibits the use of cell phones while driving? Nope. You cannot legislate out stupidity. By that I mean that even if there was a law against it, there are still people out there that would continue to use a cell phone, eat a 7 course meal, battle kids in the back seat, shave, and give themselves a pedicure while in rush hour traffic, all at the same time! You would probably get full compliance with that law by all those out there that are not part of the problem in the first place. Sorry but passing a law like that is just stupid and ineffective in my opinion.

SOAP BOX: Require congress to eliminate 5 outdated law before they can pass any 1 new law! Whoo-hoo! :beer3:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts