GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My biggest pet peeve when it comes to driving/riding are motorists that park themselves in the passing lane and refuse to move. Ive been VERY surprised that way too many bikers fall into this category. Who here doesnt know that the left lane should be occupied for passing? If you DO know, are you passing this along to your litters?

·
Registered
505 Posts
The left lane that is used for passing only no longer applies to most folks these days. Many drivers treat that lane just like any other lane. Out here in SoCal, folks will coast along in the left lane going 10 to 20 MPH slower than the rest of traffic and remain oblivious to the congestion they are creating and quite frankly, I doubt they care. Coupled with the folks that feel the need to slow down and look at the car parked on the side of the road all the way over on the other lane of traffic going in the opposite direction is another PITA. Many of our left lanes are HOV so motorcycles and vehicles with more than one occupant are accustomed to hanging in the left lane and tend to do so even when not in an HOV area.

Reactions: gkarasik and Drgsin

·
Registered
360 Posts
Frustrating as **** is when a semi parks in the left lane next to another semi, they wonder why road rage is getting more prevalent these days...

I give the semi drivers a lot of slack. I don’t care if it takes them 3 miles to pass another truck. They’re on the road, in the middle of their shift, working hard trying to make a living, while I ain’t doin’ nothing but riding my bike. I’m not in that big of a hurry to complain about a driver doing his job.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
^^ And there is the rub. Some drivers give some other drivers slack while other drivers give no one slack. The world is full of people different from one another. Only you can control how you react to anything.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Inconsiderate drivers and driving habits

There are bikers that do a LOT of stupid things. IMO, riding in the wrong lane seems to be one of the more minor "sins" committed by bikers. I've been known to pass in a no passing zone and exceed the speed limit by enough to get me in serious trouble. Am I any better than the biker that sits over in the passing lane blocking the traffic behind him? I would like to think I am, but I'm sure that is just a matter of perspective and personal opinion. I also have see-pass disease. When I'm riding alone and I see a vehicle in front of me, I want to pass it. When I come up behind a truck going slightly slower than I am, I drop a gear, open the throttle and get around it. I may be cruising 1 MPH faster than the truck, but I generally gain 15+ MPH in my effort to pass it! I've been known to speed up to catch a vehicle in front of me just so I can pass it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
That's why the Goldwing has a loud as **** horn. Use it.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are bikers that do a LOT of stupid things. IMO, riding in the wrong lane seems to be one of the more minor "sins" committed by bikers. I've been known to pass in a no passing zone and exceed the speed limit by enough to get me in serious trouble. Am I any better than the biker that sits over in the passing lane blocking the traffic behind him? I would like to think I am, but I'm sure that is just a matter of perspective and personal opinion. I also have see-pass disease. When I'm riding alone and I see a vehicle in front of me, I want to pass it. When I come up behind a truck going slightly slower than I am, I drop a gear, open the throttle and get around it. I may be cruising 1 MPH faster than the truck, but I generally gain 15+ MPH in my effort to pass it! I've been known to speed up to catch a vehicle in front of me just so I can pass it.
im the same way. i cant stand following anyone. the way i look at it:me speeding, affects me. me passing in a no passing zone affects me. if it affected others, i wouldnt do it. thats the difference in my mind. you dont need to be impeding others.

·
Registered
42 Posts
im the same way. i cant stand following anyone. the way i look at it:me speeding, affects me. me passing in a no passing zone affects me. if it affected others, i wouldnt do it. thats the difference in my mind. you dont need to be impeding others.
The only part I’d strongly disagree with. I’ve worked some really bad wrecks in no passing zones. They are always marked as such for a reason; curves, hills, cross roads, etc. Currently out with a broken leg / ankle from a head on collision. Those no passing zones can bite you. (or that car that pulls out from a side road and doesn’t see you in the wrong lane)

·
Registered
468 Posts
IMHO the above is flawed, if you’re speeding a wreck it will affect others same with the passing.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I give the semi drivers a lot of slack. I don’t care if it takes them 3 miles to pass another truck. They’re on the road, in the middle of their shift, working hard trying to make a living, while I ain’t doin’ nothing but riding my bike. I’m not in that big of a hurry to complain about a driver doing his job.
It shouldn't take 3 miles to pass, if it does they shouldn't be passing cause they ain't going that much faster anyway. I've been in a group waiting for 5 miles or more in this situation and when you're doing a 600 to 800 mile day it's a little perturbing. :serious:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The only part I’d strongly disagree with. I’ve worked some really bad wrecks in no passing zones. They are always marked as such for a reason; curves, hills, cross roads, etc. Currently out with a broken leg / ankle from a head on collision. Those no passing zones can bite you. (or that car that pulls out from a side road and doesn’t see you in the wrong lane)
yes, of course i shouldve prefaced that. id never cross a solid line without being absolutely sure theres nothing ahead. i have to be able to see a long way

·
Registered
54 Posts
No s*** about that horn being loud. It's become my favorite accessory lately!

Reactions: RickLB and Drgsin

·
Registered
711 Posts
My biggest pet peeve when it comes to driving/riding are motorists that park themselves in the passing lane and refuse to move. Ive been VERY surprised that way too many bikers fall into this category. Who here doesnt know that the left lane should be occupied for passing? If you DO know, are you passing this along to your litters?

when I plugged into this thread my first thought was "yeah, that bike he's got pictured is way unsafe the way it is loaded up."

Reactions: beckhardt

·
Registered
86 Posts
I can't tell you how happy I am that there is finally a name for my ailment! And, while I acknowledge that I have a problem, I justify it by convincing myself that it is only a matter of time until the individual in front of me will slow way down for a hill/curve or randomly slam on the breaks, thus it is obviously a safety issue and logically my only option is to catch and pass them! :grin2:

·
Registered
573 Posts
So, in the state in which I live (and I mean physically), a law has been passed that a driver in the left lane has 1.5 miles in which to effect a pass of a slower vehicle(s) and then return to the right lane(s). There are some exceptions to this as that's not always practical inside a city's limits where traffic can easily become congested. But, I certainly expect to see the Highway Patrol guys make effective use of this new law to pad their coffers. In this state where I live(still speaking physically), drivers are reluctant to give up the left lane for a variety of reasons... raging from I've always driven in this lane to it's my road and I'll drive however I want and even those that seemingly have no clue about what they are doing, but it's at least 20-30mph slower than everybody else.

At least it doesn't snow much down here because I don't think I could ride with these folks without losing the state of mind in which I live. YMMV.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts