GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the way to work on the 18th of last month at about 6am, so the sun had not come up yet. I was on my 50 mile trek to work and had to switch from one expressway to another just south of the Atlanta Airport. I missed my turn and attempted to correct my direction when I ran out of road at the split and ended up going through a bunch of potholes in the dirt at about 60 mph.

The first hole was about 8 inches deep and 2 feet wide, the rest were not that much more shallow. When I hit the first pothole, I slid forward jamming the fairing with my left knee which severed all but one of the strands of quadrcept tendon that connected my upper leg to my knee cap. I imediately got tunnel vision becasue of the intense pain and thought to myself, "I may die in this wreck but I refuse to drop this machine". I managed to make it through all of the potholes and intentionally did not hit the brakes since I was on dirt. I finally came to a rolling stop in the emergency lane of the exit ramp and managed to get my left leg to put down the kickstand at which time I called 911.

The ride through the dirt was so rough that the spring that holds up the center stand was lost in the ride. I got a ride to a local hospital in a 'meat wagon' which eventually cast almost $1,000 (thank God for insurance). Even though I was hurt, I went to work the following week while my doctor waited for the insurance aproval for an MRI. After getting the MRI on Thursday, my doctor called me at home Friday evening at dinner and asked me what I was planning on doing that weekend. He arranged for me to enter the hospital and I had surgery on Saturday morning. Everything when well and I am back to limited work now.

I have been working the joint trying to get it mobile enough to where I can bend it. I suspect he will have me start physical therapy sometime next week. I just want to get back on my bike again. The insurance company is in the process of giving an estimate for the 'scratched' parts and the coolant recovery tank that got damaged. I was hoping to attend the SMRI this month, but it looks like a will have to sit this one out.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I know that had to be a scary few seconds. You are very lucky there was nothing there but the potholes. You did a great job not losing control of the bike, the damage to yourself and the bike would have been so much worse if the bike had tumbled and who knows... you may not be here now! Thanks for posting, I will make a note to not try that last second correction if Im in that situation, just go on down the Interstate and RECALCULATE.

Oh and I hope your doggy wasnt with you on this trip!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Hitting potholes and doing major bodily injury without wrecking seems a large stretch of the imagination, but glad you'll be ok in time. I've been lucky over time and hit potholes and bent wheels, layed down bikes at 90mph and never been injured enough to call the iddiots, oops I mean call the doctors. I'll heal without the bastards.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Sorry to hear that happened...I hope you heal fast and well.

Where was that "disaster" road just south of the airport?

Dennis

09 dtg KAF
11 dtg Dubai
12 dtg Home for good!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh and I hope your doggy wasnt with you on this trip!

I was very fortunate that I was not hurt any worse than I was. It could have been the end of the line. I have often said in the past that we do not know how dire the consequences of our decision may be.

No, Daisy wasn't on board this time, but she sure wishes she could ride the bike these days instead of the cage!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to hear that happened...I hope you heal fast and well.

Where was that "disaster" road just south of the airport?

QUOTE]

I was getting off of westbound I-285 onto the ramps for I-85 when I realized that I was starting up the I-85 north bound ramp and should have been in the left lane going down the I-85 south bound ramp. The I-85 ramps split about 250 yards past the turnoff from I-285, so you have to know where you need to go before you get to that point because there is no time to decide after you get there. There are also no street lights in that interchange which makes it even worse.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Wow....Hard to imagine....
Glad you are recovering! Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I had a similar injury in my Yukon 6 years ago.. Broke my kneecap, tore the patellar tendon.. You're lucky to get the sidestand down.. I literally could not even straighten my leg.

Six weeks after surgery, started rehab.. The thing that WORKED was a stationary bike.. Starting a little easy, got the knee back into shape faster than the orthopod expected. He decided not to send me to PT, since I was recovering well and he was afraid that some overachiever might have me overworking the leg and undo the repairs.. You might try it when you get to that point...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts