GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I drive with my brights on..as far as the drivers that are offended by the brights...let them adjust their driving conditions as if it were the glare from the sun or whatever..when you have an oncoming vehicle cross in front of your bike with the jerk of the steering wheel or a rolling thru intersection.. a least you tried to be seen before you died.....they will always have the last word..i didnt see him/her.............

·
Registered
650 Posts
What works better than just high beams on is a headlight modulator. They really do see you, and sometimes move out of the way. I ran one on my VTX for 3 years, and now on my Wing. The Wing headlights are much more visible than the single headlight of the VTX.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I ALWAYS ride with the hi beam on during the day (as you can notice in the pic to the left) and make sure my lower running lights are on during darkness. In CA, there is no law that prohibits running with the hi beams on during daylight hours.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
High beams during the day, and when appropriate at night. Don't want to blind anyone and have them run into me cause their eyes were burned closed.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Addicted said:
What works better than just high beams on is a headlight modulator. They really do see you, and sometimes move out of the way. I ran one on my VTX for 3 years, and now on my Wing. The Wing headlights are much more visible than the single headlight of the VTX.
And what works real well for you is that white helmet. Sure stands out in your avatar, and I'm sure out on the road as well. The studies I've read say the helmet and upper jacket colors do the most for visibility. When I'm out on the road I sure see riders with lighter colored helmets much farther off and earlier than the darker ones.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I run with the high beams on on the Triumph, but not on the Wing..
Whatever works for you, but also give some thought to target fixation.. They will aim for and hit what they're looking at if it get enough of thier attention.. JMHO

·
Registered
368 Posts
We always drive with high beams on during the day also. Hopefully it will counter the driver on the cell phone making the left hand turn in front of me. I don't really care if car drivers don't like the bright lights in their mirrors, maybe the bright lights will make it so I'll survive another day of driving the streets of Los Angeles.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I ALWAYS ride with the hi beam on during the day (as you can notice in the pic to the left) and make sure my lower running lights are on during darkness. In CA, there is no law that prohibits running with the hi beams on during daylight hours.
Amen, that's the way that I handle it!
I believe in being seen, and heard. With the GL1800's horns; THAT'S not a problem.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Here in Texas, the Dept. of Public Safety (Highway Partol) encourgages running high beams in the daytime. George

·
Registered
676 Posts
High beams on all the time in daylight does not make any sence. You are not always safer. For example on a limited access freeway what good does running high beams do besides piss off the driver in front of you. OK so you don't give a ****, well I do. Modulating high beams are even worse on the freeway. Don't be so damn inconsiderate when it is very easy to turn on your highs when they will actually can do some good. And how about getting rear ended, high beams don't help you there.
I wear an Aerostitch high-vis lime jacket 100% of the time. I have Aerostitch high-vis helmet decal. I run high beams around town and on 2 lanes when they can do some good.
This sport is an accident waiting to happen. As long as we realize this fact and always ride accordingly and keep our brains turned on we have better chance of postponing the inevitable.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I run low beams and my Tulsa driving lights during the day usually.

Sometimes I use the Tulsa lights at early morning hours before the sun is up around here. I try to stay back from folks to keep them mostly happy.

I ran south from Flagstaff AZ a few months back about 10:30 - 11 PM... It is quite dark so i had the brights on to see the road and watch for little critters.

Even with the divided high way and the roads do not run parallel or the same elevation to each other , I was pissing off the on-coming traffic folks with my brights on... Funny thing was when they hit their brights to teach me a lesson...... it did not bother me. LOL

The 1800 has good lights and horn... IMHO

·
Registered
239 Posts
I turn off all my lights during the day to save battery power.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I ride with the Ion Crystal version of these PIAAs on all of the time. The yellow light does not offend and it is very different than the other lights in contrast. Also I have a big yellow 2005 wing and that helps as well.

http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/1400.html

These things are great day and night. I've had other riders and drivers tell me that they really see me with these on.

Chuck
MBD

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Look at this practically. High beams during the day is a great idea for somebody running a single-light bike, because the image of a single headlight coming at someone isn't significant enough to get people's attention and let them judge your distance correctly. Even high beam doesn't help a single-light bike be seem THAT much better, but it helps some..

Our bikes' fairings are probably 2-4 times the width of the average bike, and the headlight array on the front makes a HUGE image to oncoming drivers.. The design of the fairing separates the lights significantly, making it much easier to make a judgement as to how fast they are closing.

So why care? Like the man said in Proficient Motorcycling, most drivers are NOT out to get you, so why piss any of them off by running those megawatt highbeams at them. Even in the daytime, we've got some awesome wattage up front.. even with the stock bulbs.. So I run mine went the visibility is limited by mist or very light fog, or if I'm alone going down a two-lane country road where there may not be any place to go if the oncoming car does something stupid..

YMMV.. Just my $.02 worth.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have my highbeams on day and night,
but plan to use my low beam during the day
when i get my ec platium driving lights installed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts