GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted a table lift, so I decided I would build one. My dad was a heavy equipment mechanic of over 30 years before he passed away. When he died about 10 years ago, I threw several hydraulic rams and pumps under my work bench.

We were having some really crappy weather here between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so started seeing what I had, and started playing.

Final result: I used a 50 ton ram (slight over kill, I know, but the price was right
) hooked to a 10,000 psi electric pump.

I had a lot of the steel laying around, but I did buy new 2"X 2" heavy wall square tubing for the legs.

To raise and lower the safety legs I got kind of creative. I used a solenoid from a dishwasher (when hit with electricity, it would open and let water in, I use it with air) hooked it up in line between a regulator (only need about 30 psi to operate the cylinder) and a small air cylinder. I put a small valve in line between the solenoid and the ram, so that I had a way of "bleeding" off air. If you watch and listen to the video, that's the air bleeding off that you can hear, its what allows the safety legs to drop when I release the button that activates them.

Originally, when I built it, since i have such a large ram, it would only collapse to about 12 inches. I used if a few times by riding the bike up a small ramp.

Then I realized that when I was not using it, it seemed to be in the way. So, with the crappy weather we have been having since Christmas I made another change......

I live on top of a hill. When you enter my garage, it has a concrete floor for the first 16 feet, but because the back half of the garage is as much as 11 feet off of the ground, the last 16 feet of my floor is 2 X 10's on 16" center sitting on top of 7 X 9 oak beams. that are on 4 foot centers.............floor will support anything I want to drive in........

I cut a hole in the floor between two of the 7X 9 beams, built a box and recessed the new lift so that it sits flush with the floor.

I have made 12 inch extentions for it in case I want to put a lawnmower or ATV on it.

The rear section of decking removes to reveal a 16" wide, "dropout" to allow the rear tire to drop down.

The area where the center stand goes, is metal. If you remove the metal plate there is a sliding (from front to rear) hydraulic ram that can be used as a jack (works great to lift a bike that does not have a center stand, and also used it already on an ATV.

Tie down anchors and an adjustable front wheel vice are all easy on-easy off.

All I am lacking is diamond plating deck metal to cover it with.

Last note, I painted the inside of the box white, for two reasons. 1) I figure that everything I ever drop when the lift is in the air, will fall into the box, and 2) it was the only paint I had.

Just something to do while I was bored and waiting for better weather to come
http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/gg65/Sonny7thb/table lift/?action=view&current=MOV00936.flv

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Lift

Great Job...............

·
Registered
928 Posts
Son you done your daddy proud!! Fantastic job!

:congrats:

Crabby Bob the envious! :bow:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Beeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuutiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, if you were to add a remote controlled (by mental telepathy of course) swing out arm to hand you a drink, a sandwich, a towel to wipe your brow, the tool you need, offer a third hand when necessary, or whatever else you wanted, then it would be SUPER Beeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuutiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As we swabbies say - well done.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hey Sonny,
How far from Lexington Kentucky are you. The weather is bad here too, Have garage need lift............ Thats amazing, I'm green with envy of your skills. Any houses for sale in your neighborhood?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts