GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I test rode a 2020 GW Tour with DCT today for about 40 miles and found the experience interesting, but now I am not totally convinced the DCT is for me. The ride was broken into three rides - one for about 10 miles to get use to the bike and how it acted with just me. The second with my wife for about 20 miles and then a final 10 mile ride by myself again.

Observations:

When riding the bike in auto Tour mode it feels like the bike wants to get you into the highest gear possible as quick as possible and as such feels like the bike lacks power for like a second after the shift - almost like it is lugging the engine to a small degree. I have a Ram 2500 Cummins and this is how the 68RE tranny feels too - shifts too soon for fuel economy. Putting my truck in tow-haul helps how it shifts.

When riding the bike in manual sport mode it's definitely feels faster and more aggressive, but still has the same sensation of feeling like a lack of power for about a second after I shift. I am probably not explaining it right but that is how it feels to me.

I have a 15 Honda Valkyrie and it feels much much much faster to me as it is manual and also weighs significantly less so that is clearly a factor. However I think the benefit of a manual tranny is that once you shift the gear and it's in the new gear you don't feel that temporary "lugging" sensation for a split second I described above.

After riding the DCT I feel like it's clear to me that the 6 speed manual tranny version would give me much more control over the power band and it would feel "sportier" as I would instantly have that power feel after the shift which I feel doesn't exist with the DCT.

Call me crazy but this is just how I feel after riding the DCT and wish I could have ridden it more but happy to have ridden it. I am going to try to ride a DCT again to see how I feel riding another time. I do love the feel and ride of the sixth generation wing and felt very comfortable as a solo rider or with my wife on back. I had a 2012 Goldwing and it felt much more top heavy and made me uneasy and I feel very comfortable on the new generation riding alone or with a passenger. It definitely feels smaller and by the end of my ride I was very comfortable.

i have a deposit on a 2022 DCT, but might need to switch to a 6 MT.

Thanks!

·
Registered
387 Posts
If you ride it again try manual shifting in tour mode. Then you can rev the gears a bit more. To me it feels more sporty that way. Same with sport mode, manual shifts are so quick and easy. If you want to be sure of your choice you need more time to get used to the DCT. 40 miles isn't much time to try different ways to shift. JMHO

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I wasn’t backing off the throttle during manual shifts in sport mode, but to be honest I wondered if I was supposed to like a manual tranny, but figured I wasn’t supposed to since you don’t when DCT is in automatic mode.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
The "lug after shift" is the engine having to convert more energy from "same throttle position" into faster speed with the higher gear. This is really normal and we are so used to it in cars (although a torque converter makes this transition more smooth), than feeling it on something we are not expecting it on may stand out. I felt that too on my test rides of a DCT, but understood "why" and quickly dismissed it and never gave it another thought until reading your post. I did not get a DCT and will not get a DCT unless it is a non-leaning trike. I want the clutch in my control as an aid to try and recover tire slide that I will never be able to do otherwise. If/when I end up wanting a non-leaning trike, I may want it to be a DCT.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Aloha lobsterbake,

Buying a new motorcycle especially one that cost as much as these GW’s do, is a big decision.
Don’t rush, take your time, ride both the manual and DCT as many times as it takes for you to make a decision that you can feel comfortable with.
The DCT transmission isn’t for everyone and after riding manuals for all these years, only you can make the call one way or the other.
There’s no right or wrong, only what you want.

·
Registered
Goldwing Tour DCT 2021
3 Posts
Hi,
Since 4 months I have my DCT, I think a - for 2023 version ? - nice improvment would be to add a "user DTC gear change mode" on wich you validate or program at wich average RPM you would like to shift to upper gear. By default it's around 2 000 rpm and for me too it's feel a little bit to early to enjoy the motor power potential.
For me woud be a better option instead of having the SPORT mode just adapted for dragster race start when traffic lights come to green !
So far i use DTC drive ECO ou TOUR mode in towns or higways or when I want to relax myself without thinking of gear changes, and put in MAUNUAL mode when I want to have fun or on twisties roads or or in moutains to keep a max of engine brake and have the pleasure of the 6 cylinder melody ...and in these cases I absolutly don't care if I have optimized fuel consumption 😉

·
Registered
674 Posts
lobsterbake, accept the fact you will be excoriated by many DCT fan boys notwithstanding the mountain of electronics issues from crap batteries to free thinking fobs. After all, when you spend that kind of money, how can you possibly have made a mistake? Electronic control complaints on the bike are consistent, frequent, and all too familiar. The computer chip is now making decisions for you about shift points, and handling/control sensitivity, i.e., safety and security. Accede to Honda Hal 9000 if you want to enjoy this particular Space Odyssey. Or not. It's a beautiful machine with its own personality. I prefer blond. You may enjoy brunette.

·
Registered
451 Posts
You won't really know what is right for you till you ride a manual. If you get the DCT without trying a manual there will always be a what if. The manual on these bikes is oh so smooth and the slipper clutch is a big improvement 0ver the older manuals. Do yourself a favor and try to ride both before you buy.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
lobsterbake, accept the fact you will be excoriated by many DCT fan boys notwithstanding the mountain of electronics issues from crap batteries to free thinking fobs. After all, when you spend that kind of money, how can you possibly have made a mistake? Electronic control complaints on the bike are consistent, frequent, and all too familiar. The computer chip is now making decisions for you about shift points, and handling/control sensitivity, i.e., safety and security. Accede to Honda Hal 9000 if you want to enjoy this particular Space Odyssey. Or not. It's a beautiful machine with its own personality. I prefer blond. You may enjoy brunette.
Fluke, izzat U……?😁

·
Registered
986 Posts
When I took the 2018 DCT for a test ride, I never imagined the thought of owning one as it's blastemy not having a manual. Coming from a 2014 Valkyrie, I found the ride was different and it took some time and miles to get the feel of the bike. I bought the bike knowing it would be a learning and adjustment curve to get used to. I am so glad I did get the DCT as it is a joy, especially in heavy stop and go traffic, and on long rides. And if I want to really enjoy myself and hit the twisties the manual mode works great. Oh, and to the OP, don't sell your Valkyrie!

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Hello,

I test rode a 2020 GW Tour with DCT today for about 40 miles and found the experience interesting, but now I am not totally convinced the DCT is for me. The ride was broken into three rides - one for about 10 miles to get use to the bike and how it acted with just me. The second with my wife for about 20 miles and then a final 10 mile ride by myself again.

Observations:

When riding the bike in auto Tour mode it feels like the bike wants to get you into the highest gear possible as quick as possible and as such feels like the bike lacks power for like a second after the shift - almost like it is lugging the engine to a small degree. I have a Ram 2500 Cummins and this is how the 68RE tranny feels too - shifts too soon for fuel economy. Putting my truck in tow-haul helps how it shifts.

When riding the bike in manual sport mode it's definitely feels faster and more aggressive, but still has the same sensation of feeling like a lack of power for about a second after I shift. I am probably not explaining it right but that is how it feels to me.

I have a 15 Honda Valkyrie and it feels much much much faster to me as it is manual and also weighs significantly less so that is clearly a factor. However I think the benefit of a manual tranny is that once you shift the gear and it's in the new gear you don't feel that temporary "lugging" sensation for a split second I described above.

After riding the DCT I feel like it's clear to me that the 6 speed manual tranny version would give me much more control over the power band and it would feel "sportier" as I would instantly have that power feel after the shift which I feel doesn't exist with the DCT.

Call me crazy but this is just how I feel after riding the DCT and wish I could have ridden it more but happy to have ridden it. I am going to try to ride a DCT again to see how I feel riding another time. I do love the feel and ride of the sixth generation wing and felt very comfortable as a solo rider or with my wife on back. I had a 2012 Goldwing and it felt much more top heavy and made me uneasy and I feel very comfortable on the new generation riding alone or with a passenger. It definitely feels smaller and by the end of my ride I was very comfortable.

i have a deposit on a 2022 DCT, but might need to switch to a 6 MT.

Thanks!

Do what works best for you......
The DCT takes some getting used to as it is quite different.

When I first test rode a DCT Goldwing after the first 5-minutes I said......."NO way" this is not for me at all.
Just feels weird not being in control of the shifting and felt sort of awkward.
Luckily I rode a DCT at several dealers and probably had 3 - 4 hours saddle time........as I got more used it, it turned from awkward into fun.
I went for it and never ever regretted the DCT choice.........2018+ MT is nice also as I've rode that several times but I've ridden MT bikes for 45-years and wanted something different.

Now with my new 2022 purchase and going to a trike, the DCT is the perfect transmission for a trike IMHO.

btw - the fwd/rev walking modes on the DCT are a sweet addition and works very well.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Test riding a DCT and posting about being underwhelmed is not allowed,. And in most MC religions it's considered blasphemous.

Maybe the bike you rode was defective or you just don't know what you're doing. Go back and ride it till you like it. :)

1 - 20 of 153 Posts