GL1800Riders Forums banner
81 - 100 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Okay lobsterbake which one sounds like the winner. Everyone here tells you which one is the best but what do YOU think?
I think I will ultimately end up with a DCT as I guess I am just not advanced enough to appreciate it like I should yet, but I predict in the next 3-4 years you wont be able to even get a MT and it might happen much faster than that.. It's like when my wife says I should get X Y or Z and I want B _ more often than not she was right and it takes me awhile to see what she saw all along. She likes the DCT based on what she has heard/experienced riding with me

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,825 Posts
I think I will ultimately end up with a DCT as I guess I am just not advanced enough to appreciate it like I should yet, but I predict in the next 3-4 years you wont be able to even get a MT and it might happen much faster than that.. It's like when my wife says I should get X Y or Z and I want B _ more often than not she was right and it takes me awhile to see what she saw all along. She likes the DCT based on what she has heard/experienced riding with me
People have been saying MT was going away since 2018..here it is 2022 and its still here...43% of sales is still a big chunk of Gold Wings and honestly I've seen more 6 speeds on the road than the DCT over the last 4 seasons...it would be a shame if Honda went that way though..alot of people would go to BMW..I would most likely go with a RT if that happened and I was looking for a new machine. I almost bought one in 2018 til Honda came out with this newest wing.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,825 Posts
You have very sharp eyes. I can't tell much more than that I'm looking at a motorcycle.
Well they have been parked..LOL..I've seen a few of the newest wings locally and for the first few years I hardly seen them at all...but I've mostly see them on the Blue Ridge Parkway...the Blue Ridge Parkway has always attracted lots of Gold Wings.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
IMHO the Goldwing will go to all electric before they drop the manual transmission........or they could stop production altogether if sales drop too much.
As much as Honda tries to attract a younger rider.......the majority of Goldwing riders continue to get older and eventually their main customers will no longer be purchasing Goldwings.

I seriously think you will love the DCT once you get more saddle time, but that's just my opinion.
Good luck with whatever you choose...

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I hope they always offer the manual, as anything automatic fails sooner or later. Of course manual fail sooner or later as well, but manual is always the more reliable choice in anything ever made.
My latest family automatic tragedy. Sister bought a new Audi for near $70,000, it lasted 6 days and 140 miles before transmission error causing tow to the dealer. Sat there 2 weeks, repaired. Well it worked a heck of a lot better, nearly double. This time it went 250 miles before failure. This is a brand new 2022 Audi. Currently sitting waiting for parts from Germany. Don't ever buy an automatic anything as long as manual is an option.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I hope they always offer the manual, as anything automatic fails sooner or later. Of course manual fail sooner or later as well, but manual is always the more reliable choice in anything ever made.
My latest family automatic tragedy. Sister bought a new Audi for near $70,000, it lasted 6 days and 140 miles before transmission error causing tow to the dealer. Sat there 2 weeks, repaired. Well it worked a heck of a lot better, nearly double. This time it went 250 miles before failure. This is a brand new 2022 Audi. Currently sitting waiting for parts from Germany. Don't ever buy an automatic anything as long as manual is an option.
Somebody must have poured ATF in your Cheerios when you were a kid :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't buy German cars anymore. It's an insult to me when a $70k car doesn't have the reliability of a $17k Honda Civic. The Germans are laughing all the way to the bank and yet suckers keep paying $70k for their crap.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I don't buy German cars anymore. It's an insult to me when a $70k car doesn't have the reliability of a $17k Honda Civic. The Germans are laughing all the way to the bank and yet suckers keep paying $70k for their crap.
Something tells me that the driving experience of a 17K Civic and a 70K BMW or Porsche don't quite match up. If reliability was the only value it would be boring world to live in.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
5,123 Posts
Something tells me that the driving experience of a 17K Civic and a 70K BMW or Porsche don't quite match up. If reliability was the only value it would be boring world to live in.
True. On the other hand, I want to be able to enjoy that driving experience other than on the route from home to the spotlessly-clean service department and back. The German cars and motorcycles I've owned were wonderful while running, but they're increasingly over-engineered and under-manufactured> Reliability should be at least a goal, but it doesn't seem to be, so I've stopped buying them. To be fair, I'm aging out. Driving my CR-V and Goldwing on California freeways provides as much excitement as I am able to tolerate.

·
Registered
163 Posts
True, but the price of admission is high, and one has to put up with the unreliability. Honestly I have just as much fun thrashing my Civic Si 6sp manual sedan, I can drive it as hard as I want without worries, as it's a Honda and likely won't break. And if I do wad it up, it's a $25k car, just go get another.

Anyway, enough on this as the thread has drifted...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
. She likes the DCT based on what she has heard/experienced riding with me
Doesn't matter what you want now, Mama has made the decision for you because we all know "when Mama ain't happy-nobody is happy".

Now what color is your next choice, does she have a favorite? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: lobsterbake

·
Registered
982 Posts
The real issue is that 9 out of 10 high end car drivers don't know how to drive them or want to drive them. This group is well suited for the Civic once they get past the snob effect looking down their collective noses at the Civic driver.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
5,123 Posts
The real issue is that 9 out of 10 high end car drivers don't know how to drive them or want to drive them. This group is well suited for the Civic once they get past the snob effect looking down their collective noses at the Civic driver.
Yup, like all the off-road trucks that haven't been off-road since they came off-ship.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,875 Posts
So far for the new GWs, the MT transmission has been flakier than the DCT. The HSA issue has been almost exclusively the domain of the MT, not the DCT.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
5,123 Posts
So far for the new GWs, the MT transmission has been flakier than the DCT. The HSA issue has been almost exclusively the domain of the MT, not the DCT.
And there's no problem finding Neutral on the DCT.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,825 Posts
Huh...there hasn't been any 6-speeds owners that had to have the bike replaced by Honda like there have been with a few DCT owners because they couldnt fiqure out how to fix the bike and Honda took it back....the HSA issue is hardly a transmission issue...its a 15 dollar clutch switch issue..you know the same clutch switch Honda used on the GL1500..Honda needs to to something about the clutch switch..but the 6-speed transmission is brilliant.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
5,123 Posts
Huh...there hasn't been any 6-speeds owners that had to have the bike replaced by Honda like there have been with a few DCT owners because they couldnt fiqure out how to fix the bike and Honda took it back....the HSA issue is hardly a transmission issue...its a 15 dollar clutch switch issue..you know the same clutch switch Honda used on the GL1500..Honda needs to to something about the clutch switch..but the 6-speed transmission is brilliant.
Fun as it is, it's silly to bat anomalies back and forth. Neither the DCT (despite @Fluke189's fixation) nor the 6Spd has significant issues. (Well, except for the 6Spd's "Finding Neutral" thing. Hey--could that be a sequel to "Finding Nemo?")

81 - 100 of 153 Posts