GL1800Riders Forums banner
101 - 120 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,834 Posts
Fun as it is, it's silly to bat anomalies back and forth. Neither the DCT (despite @Fluke189's fixation) nor the 6Spd has significant issues. (Well, except for the 6Spd's "Finding Neutral" thing. Hey--could that be a sequel to "Finding Nemo?")
I agree both variants have been pretty much problem free..and btw..I've never had any issue finding neutral..its no different than any other bike I've owned.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
5,137 Posts
and btw..I've never had any issue finding neutral..its no different than any other bike I've owned.
Thank you! I haven't wanted to say that because I don't own a 6Spd, but every clutched motorcycle I've owned has had occasional problems finding Neutral. I think it gets mentioned here because of a "Princess and the Pea"-type problem: the 6Spd is otherwise so good that what would seem normal in the average transmission seems like a flaw in the Gen6 6Spd. I think this is a case of high expectations.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
The real issue is that 9 out of 10 high end car drivers don't know how to drive them or want to drive them. This group is well suited for the Civic once they get past the snob effect looking down their collective noses at the Civic driver.
The real issue is broad generalizations of people.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I don't buy German cars anymore. It's an insult to me when a $70k car doesn't have the reliability of a $17k Honda Civic. The Germans are laughing all the way to the bank and yet suckers keep paying $70k for their crap.
Without painful detail, that too has been my experience, and I was one of those "suckers". My BMW 750i Xdrive was the best (in so many ways), and worst car (in an equal number of ways) I've ever owned. You would expect a car that costs well north of $100,000 to be at least as reliable as a sub-$20,000 Honda. Well, you'd be wrong! And let's not even start talking about depreciation...
Regarding the Honda DCT, I feel it's as reliable as any other mechanical system, manual clutches included. As the technology evolves and becomes more widespread on motorcycles, I suspect it will become even more reliable. My experience with Honda has been great overall, and if you compare the Goldwing with other bikes of similar complexity, the 'Wing is built like a concrete hotdog...you have to try really hard to break it!

·
Registered
986 Posts
The real issue is broad generalizations of people.
True, that is a distinct possibility, but the facts dictate the reality of the situation. Simply put, there's just too many people that use high performance cars and extreme off road trucks as jewelry. These vehicles never see their intended purpose met.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
5,137 Posts
True, that is a distinct possibility, but the facts dictate the reality of the situation. Simply put, there's just too many people that use high performance cars and extreme off road trucks as jewelry. These vehicles never see their intended purpose met.
"I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy."--Burl Ives.

·
Registered
2020 Tour Manual, 2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan
259 Posts
I strongly suspect the "finding neutral" issue is simply user error. Neutral is there, it's not hard to find if you do it right. And there's only 2 ways to find it, either up from first or down from second. (not talking about any "false neutrals") (which I've never encountered on this bike anyway).

Yeah, all those "adventure vehicles" etc. about the only time they go off road around me is when they're too impatient to wait for the light to change making a right on red and 2 of the tires have to drive on the shoulder, sometimes even in a puddle or sometimes mud.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
When I took the MT Goldwing for a test ride at the dealer and also demoed a MT at Wing Ding, I had no issues finding neutral.

Only problem I had was remembering to clutch/shift after riding a DCT for 2-years. :LOL:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Yeah, I used to sneer at the wannabe Round-the-World BMW GS poseurs whenever I rode to Starbucks on my Ducati or Moto Guzzi. Lol.

I stopped a long time ago being judgemental of the 900 km per year Wing riders, Harley riders that trailer their bikes to Sturgis, Seiko dive watch owners who can't swim, Macintosh vacuum tube amplifier owners who listen to Led Zeppilin at less than 80 dB, and the 99-percent of 186 mph capable Nissan GT-R owners who who never track their sportscars.

Who cares what other people do?

We should all be thankful we have the freedom to participate in our passions and hobbies to our hearts' content with relatively few restrictions. Isn't freedom the reason democratic societies sent soldiers to war? So we could enjoy the freedoms we now have?

Live and let live.

Tim

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
5,137 Posts
I stopped a long time ago being judgemental of the 900 km per year Wing riders, Harley riders that trailer their bikes to Sturgis, Seiko dive watch owners who can't swim, Macintosh vacuum tube amplifier owners who listen to Led Zeppilin at less than 80 dB, and the 99-percent of 186 mph capable Nissan GT-R owners who who never track their spirtscars.
We all buy the sizzle.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Yeah, I used to sneer at the wannabe Round-the-World BMW GS poseurs whenever I rode to Starbucks on my Ducati or Moto Guzzi. Lol.

I stopped a long time ago being judgemental of the 900 km per year Wing riders, Harley riders that trailer their bikes to Sturgis, Seiko dive watch owners who can't swim, Macintosh vacuum tube amplifier owners who listen to Led Zeppilin at less than 80 dB, and the 99-percent of 186 mph capable Nissan GT-R owners who who never track their spirtscars.

Who cares what other people do?

We should all be thankful we have the freedom to participate in our passions and hobbies to our hearts' content with relatively few restrictions. Isn't freedom the reason democratic societies sent soldiers to war? So we could enjoy the freedoms we now have?

Live and let live.

Tim
Totally agree, I was just pointing out the obvious for people that missed it. The way I look at it, they bought it and they can do whatever they want with it. Me, I use as designed and I try to not leave anything left for the next person. That's why I plan on wearing out both my bikes while enjoying every singe mile.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,834 Posts
Totally agree, I was just pointing out the obvious for people that missed it. The way I look at it, they bought it and they can do whatever they want with it. Me, I use as designed and I try to not leave anything left for the next person. That's why I plan on wearing out both my bikes while enjoying every singe mile.
The average owner will have a hard time wearing out a Gold Wing..my 2003 was 15 years old with 104k miles and with refreshed Traxxion suspension, new alternator...it still looked new like to most people and rode better than a new OEM wing of that model...it would had easily lasted another 100k miles with maybe only needing a rear drive which I have sitting in my garage. I don't think I could had wore that bike out with just doing normal maintenance...I don't think the new owner can wear it out..yea, Gold Wings either get crashed, or the current owner wants something different..not many ever get worn out..LOL

·
Registered
150 Posts
Have not seen it mentioned so I will. The DCT has a much smoother feel during shifting for the passenger making a better ride. Maybe it goes without saying but I said it anyway. It was one of the first comments my wife stated on our first ride and if she is happier than so am I.
Now the down fall. When I ride my Super Tenere I sometimes forget to down shift and more than once tried to take off from a start in a higher gear.
That said I would be very happy with the Manual Transmission on my Goldwing
I hope they continue to offer both models.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The average owner will have a hard time wearing out a Gold Wing..my 2003 was 15 years old with 104k miles and with refreshed Traxxion suspension, new alternator...it still looked new like to most people and rode better than a new OEM wing of that model...it would had easily lasted another 100k miles with maybe only needing a rear drive which I have sitting in my garage. I don't think I could had wore that bike out with just doing normal maintenance...I don't think the new owner can wear it out..yea, Gold Wings either get crashed, or the current owner wants something different..not many ever get worn out..LOL
True, but I hope I get an A+ for effort as I'm going to try like hell! :)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Hello,

I test rode a 2020 GW Tour with DCT today for about 40 miles and found the experience interesting, but now I am not totally convinced the DCT is for me. The ride was broken into three rides - one for about 10 miles to get use to the bike and how it acted with just me. The second with my wife for about 20 miles and then a final 10 mile ride by myself again.

Observations:

When riding the bike in auto Tour mode it feels like the bike wants to get you into the highest gear possible as quick as possible and as such feels like the bike lacks power for like a second after the shift - almost like it is lugging the engine to a small degree. I have a Ram 2500 Cummins and this is how the 68RE tranny feels too - shifts too soon for fuel economy. Putting my truck in tow-haul helps how it shifts.

When riding the bike in manual sport mode it's definitely feels faster and more aggressive, but still has the same sensation of feeling like a lack of power for about a second after I shift. I am probably not explaining it right but that is how it feels to me.

I have a 15 Honda Valkyrie and it feels much much much faster to me as it is manual and also weighs significantly less so that is clearly a factor. However I think the benefit of a manual tranny is that once you shift the gear and it's in the new gear you don't feel that temporary "lugging" sensation for a split second I described above.

After riding the DCT I feel like it's clear to me that the 6 speed manual tranny version would give me much more control over the power band and it would feel "sportier" as I would instantly have that power feel after the shift which I feel doesn't exist with the DCT.

Call me crazy but this is just how I feel after riding the DCT and wish I could have ridden it more but happy to have ridden it. I am going to try to ride a DCT again to see how I feel riding another time. I do love the feel and ride of the sixth generation wing and felt very comfortable as a solo rider or with my wife on back. I had a 2012 Goldwing and it felt much more top heavy and made me uneasy and I feel very comfortable on the new generation riding alone or with a passenger. It definitely feels smaller and by the end of my ride I was very comfortable.

i have a deposit on a 2022 DCT, but might need to switch to a 6 MT.

Thanks!

Tomato - tomahtoe. It's not for everyone. Go in a another direction. ( different bike )

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello,

I test rode a 2020 GW Tour with DCT today for about 40 miles and found the experience interesting, but now I am not totally convinced the DCT is for me. The ride was broken into three rides - one for about 10 miles to get use to the bike and how it acted with just me. The second with my wife for about 20 miles and then a final 10 mile ride by myself again.

Observations:

When riding the bike in auto Tour mode it feels like the bike wants to get you into the highest gear possible as quick as possible and as such feels like the bike lacks power for like a second after the shift - almost like it is lugging the engine to a small degree. I have a Ram 2500 Cummins and this is how the 68RE tranny feels too - shifts too soon for fuel economy. Putting my truck in tow-haul helps how it shifts.

When riding the bike in manual sport mode it's definitely feels faster and more aggressive, but still has the same sensation of feeling like a lack of power for about a second after I shift. I am probably not explaining it right but that is how it feels to me.

I have a 15 Honda Valkyrie and it feels much much much faster to me as it is manual and also weighs significantly less so that is clearly a factor. However I think the benefit of a manual tranny is that once you shift the gear and it's in the new gear you don't feel that temporary "lugging" sensation for a split second I described above.

After riding the DCT I feel like it's clear to me that the 6 speed manual tranny version would give me much more control over the power band and it would feel "sportier" as I would instantly have that power feel after the shift which I feel doesn't exist with the DCT.

Call me crazy but this is just how I feel after riding the DCT and wish I could have ridden it more but happy to have ridden it. I am going to try to ride a DCT again to see how I feel riding another time. I do love the feel and ride of the sixth generation wing and felt very comfortable as a solo rider or with my wife on back. I had a 2012 Goldwing and it felt much more top heavy and made me uneasy and I feel very comfortable on the new generation riding alone or with a passenger. It definitely feels smaller and by the end of my ride I was very comfortable.

i have a deposit on a 2022 DCT, but might need to switch to a 6 MT.

Thanks!
A couple of observations. I test rode the manual, DCT, and a 2018 Spyder RT on the same day after spending the previous 8 years on a BMW R1150GSA. The Spyder RT and the R1150GSA both had a commonality - side gusts of wind and 18 wheelers would blow them all over the road. The Wing stayed planted in those situations. That quality alone made me want one. The manual versions shifter did not like my 11 1/2 boots - could not get comfortable at all with the ergonomics during the test ride. DCT was impressive and concerning - low speed maneuvers - at the same time. About 4 months later a used one became available and I test rode again and purchased. In 3 years I have put 9000 miles on it and am used to the DCT - I know that's not a lot of miles but I have limited riding time until retirement in a few years.
Biggest issue for me - low speed without clutch. Solution is use Eco - Eco shifts soonest with reduced power - or Rain - Rain holds shifts longer with reduced power - and used rear brake for "clutch". Never the same as feathering the clutch but is doable once you learn it.
Tour is a good all around mode, Sport is great when "pushing the envelope" in the mountains, but low speed starts are too abrupt. If Sport would have low speed manners like Tour then transition to what it is now as your speed increased - that would be cool.

So, I run Tour mostly in full auto and manually override by downshifting if I need a burst of speed or upshifting if I think it is holding a gear too long. Aggressive mountain riding in Tour Auto mode only requires aggressive braking as you pick your entry line for the next curve. The DCT will follow your lead and downshift as aggressively as you are braking and you find you are already in the correct gear as you enter the turn. If you get on and stay on the gas it will hold that gear until you exit the turn. Quite brilliant and once you figure this out you understand how good the DCT is for riding.

101 - 120 of 153 Posts